LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
I mean probably not. A wallpaper is static content and I'd advise anyone with an OLED to just use a black wallpaper.
Use at your own risk/discretion otherwise.

So realistically we're talking £1.5k after sales/discounts for the 48CX, another £1k minimum for the HDMI 2.1 RTX 3080TI.

vs let's say £1.2k after the LG 38GL950G falls in price. I was leaning toward OLED but now I think i'm leaning back, imagine not being able to use a desktop wallpaper lmao. I'm sure it's gorgeous but it's just not practical for a day to day PC monitor i'm sorry.

Associate
So realistically we're talking £1.5k after sales/discounts for the 48CX, another £1k minimum for the HDMI 2.1 RTX 3080TI.

vs let's say £1.2k after the LG 38GL950G falls in price. I was leaning toward OLED but now I think i'm leaning back, imagine not being able to use a desktop wallpaper lmao. I'm sure it's gorgeous but it's just not practical for a day to day PC monitor i'm sorry.
Similarly though by black friday 2020 or December the OLED potentially will drop further as happens every year with TVs.

On the other hand i was looking into 2017 38" ultrawides and concidering how old they are they haven't dropped much in price if at all. For example Acer's xr382cqk from back then is usually hovering around £1200 which was the RRP. Only in xmas I saw it around £899 and now its back up at £1050 in one shop while most I have seen are £1200. I think its too much money for that tech from 2017.

Caporegime

Plus monitors appear to be heading worse not better. Both new 144Hz 4k HDR gaming screens from Asus and Acer are both £3500+ and not even out until the second half of this year.

I would much rather drop a grand or £1500 on an OLED and you can almost buy three OLEDs for the cost of the coming generation of PC monitors. Stupid.

And why are you only including the price of a 3080ti with the TV? You will be able to run at the same resolution on the TV as the LG 38GL950G so if you dont need a new gfx card for that then you dont need one for the TV.

Associate
Plus monitors appear to be heading worse not better. Both new 144Hz 4k HDR gaming screens from Asus and Acer are both £3500+ and not even out until the second half of this year.

I would much rather drop a grand or £1500 on an OLED and you can almost buy three OLEDs for the cost of the coming generation of PC monitors. Stupid.

And why are you only including the price of a 3080ti with the TV? You will be able to run at the same resolution on the TV as the LG 38GL950G so if you dont need a new gfx card for that then you dont need one for the TV.

I've got an RTX 2080 atm which doesn't have HDMI 2.1. so to run 4K 120Hz I'll need a new graphics card. Whereas my current card can run 3840x1600 @160Hz on the 38GL950G via DP1.4.

I agree about the price of the new CES monitors being completely stupid at >3k. But the 38GL certainly won't stay at 1.7k forever. So when it's equal cost to the OLED then hard to decide either way

Associate
Similarly though by black friday 2020 or December the OLED potentially will drop further as happens every year with TVs.

On the other hand i was looking into 2017 38" ultrawides and concidering how old they are they haven't dropped much in price if at all. For example Acer's xr382cqk from back then is usually hovering around £1200 which was the RRP. Only in xmas I saw it around £899 and now its back up at £1050 in one shop while most I have seen are £1200. I think its too much money for that tech from 2017.

Agreed although in fairness it does vary by manufacturer. The Dell Alienware monitors are fairly commonly purchased with decent sale price plus extended warranty. The AW3420DW I bought was £300 off plus extra 2 years warranty within a month of release in the UK for example.

Caporegime

I think these prices are possible in time for Black Friday, time to start saving folks it'll be upgrade time!!! :D

Caporegime
Also I never had a problem using desktop wallpaper, I just had it rotate every hour and had the 'ribbons' screensaver kick in after a minute of inactivity :)

(also hid the taskbar from view)

Associate
Agreed although in fairness it does vary by manufacturer. The Dell Alienware monitors are fairly commonly purchased with decent sale price plus extended warranty. The AW3420DW I bought was £300 off plus extra 2 years warranty within a month of release in the UK for example.
I think i dismissed the Dell 38" because it was 60 hz and more expensive at the time I was looking than the Acer. In the end I didn't get any as I was worried i wouldn't like UW and so got me a cheap 34inch sammy ultrawide non curved to delve into UW space.

Associate
Also I never had a problem using desktop wallpaper, I just had it rotate every hour and had the 'ribbons' screensaver kick in after a minute of inactivity :)

(also hid the taskbar from view)

Hello mate was this with brightly coloured wallpapers as I linked earlier, or with darker/black wallpapers like hyperseven posted above? Cheers

Caporegime
Hello mate was this with brightly coloured wallpapers as I linked earlier, or with darker/black wallpapers like hyperseven posted above? Cheers

A mix tbh but dark wallpapers look so so good due to the black levels :cool:

Just don't go crazy with the OLED light and think you'll be fine, think I set mine to 60

Associate
LG has improved panel resiliency each year. Let’s wait a bit and see what they’ve done this year to improve burn in resistance.

And round and round we go, year on year, more waiting...

YOLO, stop wasting time and enjoy your life, it’s just money, who wants to be the richest person in the graveyard?!

Caporegime
@aoaaron Can you do me a favour and check that the C9 does 3840x1440p (UW resolution) at 120hz? Thanks

I'm trying 3840x1440p on my B7 and I absolutely love the UW res for gaming, the only issue is that I'm getting a slight judder with it (that I don't get at full 4k) even though I'm locked at 60fps (2080Ti). Anyone know of anything I can try? Cable? If I can solve the judder I think I'd even be happy with a locked 60fps tbh, may even last me til Black Friday and the 48s come down :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok ignore me, 120hz ain't possible after 2560x1440 til we get 2.1 cards.

Really? I thought 3840 x 2160 was possible at 98hz so hence 3840 x 1600 would be doable at 133hz if my maths is correct on 2.0? (of course the screen can only do 120hz so in reality it will be 120Hz.

And there are loads of screen running on 3840 x 1440p at 144hz on 2.0 out there already.

Back
Top Bottom