OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Taking little guy back to the doctors tonight, high temperature even with paracetamol and ibuprofen, not eating or drinking all day.

Soldato
Our boy is almost 20 months now so outgrown his first pram, looking for a lighter weight but still sturdy and well made pushchair/stroller to move on to. Does anyone have any recommendations? Looking to spend no more than 150 quid.

If you're lucky you might be able to snap up a bargain from Mothercare as it's closing down. We got loads of staff for like a 3rd of the price

Soldato
We now have a Cossatto Woosh (bought it on sale for about £100) for our youngest, only used for about 4 months but it has been pretty good. Folds down very compact (into a square shape rather than the long umbrella type) and is sturdy enough to use short to medium walks.

We did have a previous Cossatto (looks a bit like what they now call a Supa) 2 or 3 years ago and it was absolutely useless however, wheels wore out incredibly quickly and became very difficult to turn, it was also incredibly unstable when hitting any pothole/dunts in the pavement.

I'd say just try a whole bunch then read reviews of people that have used them for a period of a few months if you can find them. More expensive definitely isn't always better.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
We bought the Joie Chrome DLX Travel system when ours was born, the push chair is great, big wheels, loads of room underneath etc. But its big and doesn't fold down very small. We looked at the Joie Nitro, Silver Cross Pop and a few others, The Nitro is a decent one for the money tbh and probably the one we'll end up getting in a few weeks.

Soldato
So, my girlfriend took our son to his 8 week injections yesterday, I was at work and so told me to "get ready". Poor little bugger has been up most the night crying, he's gone off his milk and drinking around 3 oz rather than his usual 5oz. I feel awful for trying to sleep as I've got work (here now) and my girlfriend has been up with him all night. Hopefully he'll start to get better soon as I've never see him like this and it's heart breaking.

Soldato
OP
So, my girlfriend took our son to his 8 week injections yesterday, I was at work and so told me to "get ready". Poor little bugger has been up most the night crying, he's gone off his milk and drinking around 3 oz rather than his usual 5oz. I feel awful for trying to sleep as I've got work (here now) and my girlfriend has been up with him all night. Hopefully he'll start to get better soon as I've never see him like this and it's heart breaking.
It's even worse when you take them and know what's coming. I've had to restrain my daughter while she screams bloody murder. Feels awful but you know you're doing it to help them.

Soldato
Our 6 month old son is starting to outgrow his Maxi Cosi Pebble (borrowed from brother in law) as his legs are over hanging. Will use it for as long as possible for the convenience but started looking at his next proper car seat.

I've narrowed it down to the Joie i-Spin 360 which stays in the car. This is my only doubt as if he's sleeping it will wake him up to take him out. Any other parents in this position and was it a major problem?

Soldato

Yeah totally normal based on my experience and everyone I know with young kids. Always a drama after the injections and you do feel so sorry for them. All for the "greater good" though!

As Devrij says though, when they are a little older, and the know what is coming.... It is a lot worse! My wee dude is actually not too bad, a little fuss but nothing major. I remember last time being there and some little boy running around trying to escape. They pinned him and got him done and he was crying his heart out shouting "mummy they hurt me" throughout the doctor surgery. His mum was in pieces.

Soldato
Our 6 month old son is starting to outgrow his Maxi Cosi Pebble (borrowed from brother in law) as his legs are over hanging. Will use it for as long as possible for the convenience but started looking at his next proper car seat.

I've narrowed it down to the Joie i-Spin 360 which stays in the car. This is my only doubt as if he's sleeping it will wake him up to take him out. Any other parents in this position and was it a major problem?

Hmm, I would personally say not to worry about a seat where you can remove it with a kid of 6 months+ still sleeping inside it. You are really not far away at that age form it being near impossible anyways.

Around 7ish months we had to remove the tiny Recaro seat of ours and start putting him in the larger part of the seat. Which meant we lost that ability to take him out and carry him around within the seat.
We just go to habit now of taking a longer way home, going a little drive, or sitting for 20-30mins on the driveway and let him have his snooze if he's having one. If it was a case of us getting home later in evening where he is sleeping and it is bed time then you are going to need to disturb them and remove them from the car seat to go into the cot anyways.
So anything other than a 30-90min snooze mid-day as you drive somewhere you are not going to be leaving them sleeping in a car seat anyway.

So IMO just go for a good quality seat that stays in the car for him at that age onwards :)

Associate
So our little fella is now 12 weeks old, smiling away and cooing at us regularly, which is amazing. Two challenges I'm facing at the mo, the biggest is his ability to sleep for longer stretches (has only ever done max 4-5 hours in one go and that's once per night) seems to be diminishing to 2 hour stints, we haven't changed anything at all but he seems to unsettle much more quickly now. Possible it's just a phase/growth thing, but man it's getting old!

Also, our little guy HATES tummy time...with a passion. Manages 15 seconds tops before he's bawling at us, whether that's on my chest, or on his playmat/using a little tummytime roller thing. Any hints from anyone how to manage this, or just something you have to push through to make sure he's working those neck muscles?

Soldato
Similar to my 6 month old, still hates tummy time but is at the point now he rolls onto his back and seems much happier - we parent in the way that if it makes him upset and he'd rather be on his back then so be it, I wouldn't force it but keep trying daily in small doses until he starts to moan then flip him over and give the praise.

The waking up regularly in the night (every hour at one point) was tough but we found that if he had 2 short naps in the day and was kept awake until 7pm - then do bedtime routine - from 11:30 do a nappy change/night feed he seems to sleep (not lose his ****) until around 8am now

Associate
My Little girl starts school in September and shes just had her preschool boosters (shes almost 3 and a half). When the Nurses lined up the Jabs... one in each arm at the same time... they were expecting her to kick off!

NOTHING, Not a sound.

To say they were surprised is in understatement. I think my little girl was more peeved at the fact that one of the nurses didn't give her a plaster :D

Soldato
Tummy time.
Don't worry about it, at some point the little one will just do it. It's the same for everything all these guidelines are a joke and just serve to stress out parents.
They will do things in their own time. Just enjoy the time.

We dealt with the walking up in the night by leaving him be, he'd cry for maybe 20 minutes then back asleep, maybe lasted 3 or 4 days before he started sleeping through.

Associate
Cheers both! Tummy time does very much feel like yet another "guideline" designed to scare parents into trying to do absolutely everything every day. You just want to feel like you're giving them the best start possible though don't you.

We had a similar experience with our health visitor who unequivocally told us we had to call if our son wasn't smiling by 8 weeks as it could be a sign of autism (I mean really, at 8 weeks?!), he wasn't smiling by then anyway, but we didn't call and low and behold a week later he was grinning like a loon.

R.e the sleeping we stopped swaddling him a week ago and he's had a cold, so could quite possibly be linked. But aware also at some point soon we'll likely suck it up and start leaving him to try and settle himself....just not looking forward to it!

Soldato
Everyone probably knows me and the wife stayed at Ronald McDonald House in Liverpool for a number of weeks.
Well last year the wife approached her company about making them their charity.
Her company is split into a few smaller companies and they get into competition with the charity the company that raises the most the parent company trebles it.

So I got my company and friends to donate as well, well in the end get company won and after trebling it they have £15.4k to donate to Ronald McDonald House.

We always felt in their debt for giving us a place to live and this is how we have paid them back. Super proud of everyone involved.

Soldato
OP
Everyone probably knows me and the wife stayed at Ronald McDonald House in Liverpool for a number of weeks.
Well last year the wife approached her company about making them their charity.
Her company is split into a few smaller companies and they get into competition with the charity the company that raises the most the parent company trebles it.

So I got my company and friends to donate as well, well in the end get company won and after trebling it they have £15.4k to donate to Ronald McDonald House.

We always felt in their debt for giving us a place to live and this is how we have paid them back. Super proud of everyone involved.
Well done! You never know how important these places are until you have to use them and see the incredible work they do.

Back
Top Bottom