US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Associate
Just seen that Iran is quoted as saying they wont be handing the black box over! Why wouldn't they do this unless they have something to hide and surely this will provide more flames to the fire so to speak.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see what evidence the Americans will put forward, I imagine they had all manner of intelligence assets pointing at Tehran over the last week or so, they might even have footage or pictures of missiles being armed/fired or whatever, will be interesting to see what they say.

Caporegime
Getting out of the country, as advised?

It's not like they knew when Iran was going to be flinging missiles about

Yup. I'm not a great believer in coincidences and certainly don't think this is one. A tiny part of me is even thinking deliberate by Iran knowing it was likely to be full of westerners, potentially spies. Horrendous as it may sound best outcome is probably an accidental shoot down by Iran. I'd also say that's the most likely.

Soldato
Yup, that's what I'm thinking too. Iran fires a load of missiles at US bases. They then expect a possible retaliation and when a large blip appears on their radar they assume it's a US military aircraft such as an AWACS and decide to take it down.

A large blip located over a civilian airfield moments after it would have even registered on a radar. Sure.

Whatever happened, it was most likely an accident.

Soldato
Just seen that Iran is quoted as saying they wont be handing the black box over! Why wouldn't they do this unless they have something to hide and surely this will provide more flames to the fire so to speak.
And according to The Guardian's live blog; The Ukrainian government has deleted a tweet saying the plane’s crash was the result of an accident.

Soldato

It won't have been hit by a ballistic missile, the odds are so low, I don't think even Iran would shoot them into the flight path of one of their own airports.

Soldato

Hand the black box over to the US, which would be effectively the same as handing over to Boeing. This isn’t surprising.

Will likely be sent to Europe, maybe France or Germany.

Soldato
And according to The Guardian's live blog; The Ukrainian government has deleted a tweet saying the plane’s crash was the result of an accident.

Yep it will become clear that's what happen once the black box is handed over and analysed.

Oh wait...

After whats happen the past 12 hours there are some serous back room talks going on while the front end bluster carrys on to keep ether camps people "happy"

Soldato
This all has the potential to make Iran look very silly indeed, essentially it launched a bunch of missiles at US airbases, caused literally no damage and zero casualties, whilst in the process somehow shooting down a Ukrainian passenger jet full of innocent people, most of whom were Iranians...

Doesn't exactly sound like a great day at the office for Iran..

Man of Honour
Wonder if Trump/America will use this as a reason to hit Iran's Nuclear facilities. Hope not as it will probably start a full on war.

Trumps threat to hit 52 targets for any retaliatory attacks is worrying.

His statement will be interesting. I expect it will be verbal and incredibly inflammatory. I'm not convinced they'll retaliate unless something more happens.

This all has the potential to make Iran look very silly indeed, essentially it launched a bunch of missiles at US airbases, caused literally no damage and zero casualties, whilst in the process somehow shooting down a Ukrainian passenger jet full of innocent people, most of whom were Iranians...

Exactly why, for now, I doubt anything will happen. He's bound to refer to this somewhere.

Soldato

Didnt it go down a few hours after the missiles had been launched ?

6:36 pm EST missile attack from Iran

8:33 pm EST
FAA bans all civilian flights over Iran, Iraq, the Persian Gulf, and the Gulf of Oman "due to heightened military activities" and the "potential for miscalculation or mis-identification"

10:44 pm EST A Ukrainian passenger plane carrying 180 people crashes near a Tehran airport shortly after takeoff

4 hours after the attack, i certainly wouldnt have boarded the plane

Soldato

Did the Yanks even need to warm up their Patriot systems or did all the Iranian missiles not get near any US targets?

Caporegime
6:36 pm EST missile attack from Iran

8:33 pm EST
FAA bans all civilian flights over Iran, Iraq, the Persian Gulf, and the Gulf of Oman "due to heightened military activities" and the "potential for miscalculation or mis-identification"

10:44 pm EST A Ukrainian passenger plane carrying 180 people crashes near a Tehran airport shortly after takeoff

4 hours after the attack, i certainly wouldnt have boarded the plane

The other option might have been: Go to prison indefinitely for spying.

Soldato

Pretty sure I read earlier that, according to US reports of the attack, of the missiles fired, nearly a third failed in flight.

They seem about as reliable as Congreve rockets!

Nothing to see here, move along people...

Soldato
Did the Yanks even need to warm up their Patriot systems or did all the Iranian missiles not get near any US targets?

I read mixed reports, I imagine we'll hear more soon - but it sounded like some of the missiles missed or failed in flight, some of them might have gotten close. However, I did read that the US had Intel that Iran was planning to launch something a few hours before, so had time to get everybody in bunkers.

I think one thing is for sure, if those missiles had hit / killed any US personnel, an assortment of various things (Tomahawk?) would have landed on pre-selected Iranian targets hours ago, so I'd assume that the Iranian missiles almost certainly failed to do anything other than be a symbolic response.

Soldato
I have to admit I am surprised by how low down the aircraft loss seems to be in the media

Normally they'd have the regular experts speculating etc etc and seems very little of it

A lot of people died in rather odd circumstances I'm surprised not top of the news ?

Back
Top Bottom