Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
just to add a counter ours has been rock solid in Glasgow (G33) for about 12 months now, hardwired pings averaging 8/9 ms and downloads on 350 package nudging 400mbs and a rock solid 36mbps up night and day. was a bit rocky at the end of 2018 but been fine with no issues at all all through 2019 and the start of this year(watch this now i've said that i'll get a major headache this week )

Soldato
Update after cancelling yesterday. They called today, got Mixit TV, weekend phone and M200 for what amounts to £44.50 a month for 12 months from the original £74 a month. Exactly what I was after really, less than £50, looks like I could have maybe done better but i'm happy with that, £354 a year less.

Ridiculous that you have to go through this, I'm going to put a calender reminder down for when the 12months is next up to make sure I don't roll on like I did before without realising it and I will cancel again if I need to!

I really need to sort mine out but I really can't be assed with the hassle. I'm paying £67 for a bit less than you at the moment.

Did you really have a plan to go through the cancellation or was it just a bluff? Sods law in my case they won;t ring back and they'll cancel. And my new build area is only really kitted out for Virgin, so I'll be back on the phone begging to re-connect me again.

Soldato
I really need to sort mine out but I really can't be assed with the hassle. I'm paying £67 for a bit less than you at the moment.

Did you really have a plan to go through the cancellation or was it just a bluff? Sods law in my case they won;t ring back and they'll cancel. And my new build area is only really kitted out for Virgin, so I'll be back on the phone begging to re-connect me again.

I really didn't want lose Virgin cable broadband not so bothered about TV but I was ready to if I needed.
Countering the Virgin woes posts my 200mb connection has been rock solid for 18 months with I think one mornings downtime after a local flooding issue.
Worse case they will take you back and there is talk her of people starting a new contract the next day themselves or a different person in the house taking out a new contract. But I really think the odds of them calling your bluff are low, you just have to have the guts to try. Make sure all your contact details are up to date and go for it is my advice, its a risk but in this thread alone you can see its very highly likely to cut your bill but hundreds a year.
Do research, find out how much the new packages go for, how much sky is for similar, be polite and firm and be prepared to be on hold for a while, you will be fine :)

Soldato
Well I feel like an idiot, my main issue was all because of my google wifi points. For some reason they would limit internet bandwidth to 20-30mbps (but local transfers stayed at 900+mbps) the time outs where just an area fault.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Well I feel like an idiot, my main issue was all because of my google wifi points. For some reason they would limit internet bandwidth to 20-30mbps (but local transfers stayed at 900+mbps) the time outs where just an area fault.

Glad you got it fixed, probably going to find I got a bad ethernet cable or bad nic at this point !

Soldato
So we're getting to the end of our 1st year promo on M350 meaning the price is going to jump from £37 to £52.

I believe it renews sometime mid Feb - whats the best way to keep these costs down? Presumably if I call up and ask for an offer I won't get one. Is it best to cancel and wait for retentions to call?

I work from home so can't really risk being without internet at all

TIA

Last edited:
Permabanned
So we're getting to the end of our 1st year promo on M350 meaning the price is going to jump from £37 to £52.

I believe it renews sometime mid Feb - whats the best way to keep these costs down? Presumably if I call up and ask for an offer I won't get one. Is it best to cancel and wait for retentions to call?

I work from home so can't really risk being without internet at all

TIA

No, you can get discounts without having to do the cancel/hope for retentions thing. Cancelling is a last resort.

I phoned and got the ultimate package for near enough the new customer offer price.

Soldato
Take a new contract, they’ll likely match the new customer price, the only time you should be looking to pay retail is if you are planning on staying with a 30 day contract.

Caporegime
Are all the problems from a year or so back with the SuperHub 3 and the problems with the chipset sorted now?

I'm still on my SH2 and if I want to upgrade speed they are trying to get me on the SH3 but I remember all those issues from the past.

Caporegime
Are all the problems from a year or so back with the SuperHub 3 and the problems with the chipset sorted now?

I'm still on my SH2 and if I want to upgrade speed they are trying to get me on the SH3 but I remember all those issues from the past.

They brought out a firmware update which meant that they moved a process from the main chip to the wifi chip. So the main chip doesn't get overloaded now. however when the wifi chip is doing this extra work it now has to do wifi performance including range, speed drops significantly.

So if like me you use modem mode it's completely fixed. If you use the built in wi-fi you may want to look into buying a third party router and using modem only mode.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
They brought out a firmware update which meant that they moved a process from the main chip to the wifi chip. So the main chip doesn't get overloaded now. however when the wifi chip is doing this extra work it now has to do wifi performance including range, speed drops significantly.

So if like me you use modem mode it's completely fixed. If you use the built in wi-fi you may want to look into buying a third party router and using modem only mode.

This has been my experience - I've no issues whatsoever, but I use it in modem mode with a Unifi USG and a series of Unifi APs.

I trialled the PS Now platform a few days ago and while trying a few games didn't notice any discernible lag or rubber banding as has been previously suggested.

Soldato
As above, i thought i would give them a call, i pay £75 for the 350mb package the best she could do was 88 and then 83 and i still wasnt paying more than i do now so in the end was forced to cancel. Not the end of the world, ill move on or do it in the Partners name worst case scenario.

I cant find my mobile number on the website for a retention call only house number and i dont have a house phone, any ideas if i can add a mobile or where it may be?

Last edited:
Caporegime

my SH2 is hooked up to my ASUS router which handles that so it’s all good

Associate
Currently living with my parents and we are with plusnet internet provider on fibre package (70+mbit), we never had any single problem for many years!

I will be moving out to a new house soon and unfortunately, Plusnet fibre broadband is not available in that area. Checked with openreach as well.

I can get fast internet connection from Virgin only, more than 100mbit. How does virgin compare with plusnet in term of connection quality and reliability?

Associate
Howdy folks,

What's the plan when it comes to swapping over from Sky?
Currently on their 80Mb(ish) Fibre Max for £42 a month (was £30 with reduction on line rental, now contract has ended they've shot the price up) - we're a tech-heavy family of 5, so looking at grabbing the M350 + Phone deal for £37/month.
We'd need an engineer to install the line, as the previous owner only had a BT landline - any way of getting them to drop the installation fee? We've no interest in a TV package (or even the landline, really, but it's cheaper than a Broadband Only deal).

I'll be calling Sky and seeing what the Retentions Team have to offer, but unless they can magic-up a FTTP Ultra install next week (apparently Q2 2021 for my area), then I doubt we'll be convinced to stay with them.
I'll also be swapping my unlimited data plan with Three for the £20/month, 100Gb mobile data from Virgin Mobile - speed and coverage have dropped considerably over the past 6 months...

I'd considered other firms (EE/Vodafone 4G), but there's nowhere else offering that sort of speed for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom