Cost for trimming down a load of monster Leylandii trees

Personally I wouldn't be going up there with a chainsaw, unless I was well used to it.
A decent bow saw will make light work of those and with a very significantly reduced chance of maiming yourself or death!

You could get a chipper in to reduce the waste from the 2inch (or so) and below. Would probably be about 90% by volume on what you got there.
The remaining "logs" someone may take away if you stick them out the front, they dont make for good burning material, but some people do anyway.

Soldato
You could work on it a tree at a time rather than cutting it all down and disposing in one go.

Also worth noting that if the neighbours are not interested in gardening ensure you get rid of the stumps as you will be in the same situation in several years time.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah that's a decent idea, slowly do this job if your fit and healthy or young it can be done but if you just want it done and have the cash then why not.

It is a nightmare to remove it all, I spent 2-3 days and few hours a day with a reciprocating saw and 20 blades just cutting down 2-3 medium trees to small pieces and then another day or two of burning it. You could apply salt+water on it and leave it to brown and die out though to make the cutting and burning process easier but that takes weeks or get quotes to have it removed, certainly more cheaper then having it cut almost.

Still you could get a few quotes cos if it cost £1k or 2k to remove it and a guy can cut and remove it for 2k, obviously makes sense to get it cut and removed for 2k.

Soldato
OP
It's the neighbours trees but the problem is she's rarely ever in, i've only managed to talk to her a handful of times if that.

I'll be having a go at this myself before I call anyone out judging by some of the replies here. Not sure when as there's still a lot of work to be done inside and outside the house but i'll update this thread in due course.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Associate
It’s a tricky one, and I can feel your frustrations of your property being blighted by those trees, personally though I would resist taking the job of cutting down my neighbours trees at my expense just because they can’t be arsed, you’ll end up of inheriting the job of cutting them down twice a year.
Given the potential cost I’d be more inclined to speak to your local council to see what their policy is on enforcement of high hedges , I think there is a fee to start the ball rolling if that’s the path you take, but £300/£400 is a lot better than 2.5k that some have been quoting

Associate
Blimey they are monsters. I was in a similar position a few years back but ours were around 12' high. I got a chainsaw from a workmate and cut them at around 6'.They never budged was expecting to have shout timber and run but the branches were intertwined and I had to pull them down.The worst part was chopping them up for transport to the skip, took me 5 trips in the car. I dread to think how many those monsters would need. I ended up chopping them at ground level and putting a fence up.

Associate
Can you let us know how it was done for free? I have a similar issue with a couple of large trees that cut the sunlight out of my garden and I get loads of moss on my roof would be good If there was a solution that was easy to remedy :)

Associate
Can you let us know how it was done for free? I have a similar issue with a couple of large trees that cut the sunlight out of my garden and I get loads of moss on my roof would be good If there was a solution that was easy to remedy :)

Find out who owns the land , if it the local authority you will need to prove it will cause damage to the public or damage to buildings or the drains . Chances are they won't cut them down if they are annoying you .

Associate
Find out who owns the land , if it the local authority you will need to prove it will cause damage to the public or damage to buildings or the drains . Chances are they won't cut them down if they are annoying you .

yeap, I am aware of that just more interested in how MrMarvalous managed to sort it. I have looked into it but the council charge ridiculous money and only really act as an arbitration process with the neighbor rather than actually doing anything about it. I cant actually see the images so I have no idea how they are situated and what the solution was.

Associate
yeap, I am aware of that just more interested in how MrMarvalous managed to sort it. I have looked into it but the council charge ridiculous money and only really act as an arbitration process with the neighbor rather than actually doing anything about it. I cant actually see the images so I have no idea how they are situated and what the solution was.

Potentially council housing? In which case the gardens are sometimes the responsibility of the council. I used to be a council gardener and we would have to mow lawns and hedge trim entire estates no matter how mobile and capable the residents were.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think Mr Marvelous actually just cost the neighbour a whole lot of money (not saying that this isnt their fault). We have been through a similar thing recently where our trees were encroaching on the road. The council told us to get them done or they would arrange to do them (at our expense) if we did not comply.

I didnt resist obviously, but the upshot was that if i had not bothered or ignored them, they would have turned up and completed it, and then make me liable for the costs (which will without doubt have been not competitive). This may be what has happened here.

Associate

I had it done by the council in for my old flat carpark but the land was owned by them and next to a public footpath. Turns out not everything is free as the local drug dealers then started to break into our cars.

Caporegime
I looked into it has to be on public land.

Otherwise you need to try and come to an agreement with the neighbour and have proof that it isn't working out.

Then you need to pay for some sort of certificate £400-£800. Then they will step in.

Would be easier for me to just drill a hole in the tree and fill with weedkiller and let nature take care of the rest.

Caporegime
I heard copper nails can also work.

@MrMarvelous
Any before and after pictures?

That is a bit of a myth.

They can work if the tree is weak, it's a big enough nail and you put it right through.

However they take years to kick in. My method works within 2-4 weeks.

So you could wait 2 years and it's not worked or just drill a hole and fill with weedkiller. Drill downwards at an angle so the weedkiller sits inside it being Soaked up by the tree and the roots

Back
Top Bottom