Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

Soldato
I liked him until I saw him live recently. Was expecting to see something as fresh as Animals, but instead got a couple of hours of him explain that he's really rich now and doesn't give a ****. It was awful and I don't think I laughed once.

Soldato
I completely understand some people don't enjoy Gervais. I personally think he's a master of what he does and eagerly look out for anything new he puts out. He's clearly a very smart guy and it's always nice to see people put in their place.

Soldato
I thought Ricky was much funnier when he was fat. It's as though giving up the burgers and what not has made him miserable.

Soldato
Some people think that Gervais stuff is completely new.. He has done this four times previously when he did the same thing in ripping into the actors (and everyone else) at the Golden Globes. It's good, but it isn't particularly new is it?

Erm... yeah... I saw a stand up comedian on TV, but he just stood there telling jokes. That's been done before, right? Not exactly new...

Soldato
I never used to like Gervais as i didn't realise The Office was a parody!! (only ever saw brief clips which used to make me cringe).

But then i watched Life's Too Short, Derek, Afterlife, Extras and some of his tweets/comments etc, he's actually a very talented and funny guy.

For me, James Corden, many rave about him, but as soon as i see his face the TV goes off.; Gervais just has a style that grates on some.

You should check out the 'XFM podcasts', well worth a listen on your commute or whatever. From before he fully blew up and shows a much different side to him than you get from his comedy.

Soldato
“If you do win an award tonight, don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech. You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.”

This was absolutely spot on and made me laugh so much.

Man of Honour
If that's your measure, Justin Bieber must be as great a musical genius as The Beatles... Plenty of people make lots of money and win lots of awards without being especially talented.

You've picked the wrong artist.
I was reading an article by one of the worlds top producers (forgot who it is now) and he was gobsmacked at his talent.
He can play all the main instruments to an excellent level.
They got into a lot of arguments on one album because Beiber would say "I've got an idea" and against the Producers wishes they go back in and Beiber would pick up whatever instrument and make the song better.

(Obviously like me you hate Justin Beiber's songs and it would take a lot in our tiny little minds to make them better).

Soldato
I was reading an article by one of the worlds top producers (forgot who it is now) and he was gobsmacked at his talent.
They got into a lot of arguments on one album because Beiber would say "I've got an idea" and against the Producers wishes they go back in and Beiber would pick up whatever instrument and make the song better.

(Obviously like me you hate Justin Beiber's songs and it would take a lot in our tiny little minds to make them better).
I remember watching what I think was his first performance in the uk when he was a supporting act - he fell over and broke his leg on stage. I’d saw him at the train station before the event with his entourage and he was being a right little spoilt brat, well I say that but he was actually being a rude mo fo and acting like he was he-man. Never liked the guy since but I do wonder how much fame at a young age ruins or messes with their lives.

Caporegime
I remember watching what I think was his first performance in the uk when he was a supporting act - he fell over and broke his leg on stage. I’d saw him at the train station before the event with his entourage and he was being a right little spoilt brat, well I say that but he was actually being a rude mo fo and acting like he was he-man. Never liked the guy since but I do wonder how much fame at a young age ruins or messes with their lives.
Elton John’s a musical genius, but look how much of an obnoxious diva he can be.

These people tend to be very highly strung. McCartney’s been known to throw a tantrum or ten.

Associate
I enjoyed The Office, Extras, the animated podcast and also some of his standup... so safe to say i've found him reasonably amusing over the years.

The golden globes thing was funny the first time he did it because it was new, i believe some in hollywood will have felt genuinely uncomfortable the first time.

But this is the 5th time he's been asked to do it despite apparently humiliating the hollywood elite every time he does it.. what does that tell you ? That no one is really getting that offended or humiliated.

Overall it was a lazy rehash of previous years material, if people have somehow missed him doing the exact same thing 4 times previously then maybe i can understand them finding it hilarious... but for me my reaction was 'come up with some new jokes'.

Lazy

Man of Honour
Seeing Bowie taking the **** out of Ricky Gervais on Extras was funny.:D

As to the 2020 Golden Globes I think Ricky Gervais got it spot on.

There are far too many arrogant hypocrites in Hollywood.

Soldato
I was initially gonna go with the Cheeky Girls, but I think they went bankrupt or something...

I'm sure he can... in fact, I was aware he was unexpectedly good at drumming... But regardless of talent and ability, what he actually puts out is still utter ***** and he acts like a bell end. If he was as special as he reckoned, he'd go his own way and put out proper genius music.

And it doesn't change the fact that Gervais is from Reading!!

These people tend to be very highly strung. McCartney’s been known to throw a tantrum or ten.
I don't recall Mark Knopfler or Eric Clapton throwing massive hissy fits...

Back
Top Bottom