Getting Irish nationality for children?

Soldato
My wife and I are British, and I'm trying to see if we can insulate our children from Brexit.

My wife's grandfather was Irish which I think makes her eligible for Irish nationality.

I'm struggling to find info about whether we can then get the same for our children. I suspect we may have to live in Ireland for a period of time before this can happen.

Does anyone have any experience or information of this?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
My British wife's grandfather is Irish and she acquired her Irish citizenship last year just before our son was born which means he automatically qualifies for Irish citizenship.

Maybe your wife needs to apply and once successful then apply for your child.

Caporegime
My mum looked into getting herself Irish citizenship, as my Granny was Irish. She was pretty unsuccesful, so I doubt I'd have any chance of getting it.

Soldato
I have the Irish Passport application form on my desk. As my father is Irish born and raised I am classed as an Irish Citizen, but to prove it I need a copy of his birth certificate. I don't think I can get citizenship from my grandparents - certainly the forms don't say that.

Soldato
I have the Irish Passport application form on my desk. As my father is Irish born and raised I am classed as an Irish Citizen, but to prove it I need a copy of his birth certificate. I don't think I can get citizenship from my grandparents - certainly the forms don't say that.
You can get it from your Irish born grandparents, but don't need to in your case.

Back
Top Bottom