Getting Irish nationality for children?

Associate
My wife and I are British, and I'm trying to see if we can insulate our children from Brexit.

My wife's grandfather was Irish which I think makes her eligible for Irish nationality.

I'm struggling to find info about whether we can then get the same for our children. I suspect we may have to live in Ireland for a period of time before this can happen.

Does anyone have any experience or information of this?

No.

Citizenship through descent ends at grandchildren. It does not pass on to great-grandchildren.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...ish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Your kids can only become Irish through naturalisation if you yourself are naturalised, in which case you and the kids need to live in Ireland for 5 years. First you apply for citizenship and then afterwards apply for the kids to be naturalised.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/..._an_irish_citizen_through_naturalisation.html

SOURCE:

I got Irish citizenship through my mother last February, so have been through the process.

Your wife will have to apply first to the Irish Foreign Births Registry to get proof of her grandfathers citizenship ~10 months and then apply for the passport ~2months. She'll need his birth certificate.

Soldato
Not just that, you'll have to meet criteria should you wish to work somewhere. Criteria that you may not meet if it's a low skilled job.

And quite right too, we can't as a nation moan about the low skilled jobs over here being taken by Europeans and then want to be able to take the same low skilled jobs in other countries.

Soldato
I'm not sure why anyone thinks Ireland is going to be a utopia to escape to. They have fully opened the door to foreign capital and mass immigration.

Associate
I'm not sure why anyone thinks Ireland is going to be a utopia to escape to. They have fully opened the door to foreign capital and mass immigration.

If you have an Irish passport you are an EU citizen so you can live and work in any of the 27 EU countries no problem.

I have a British passport and a French one. So basically I am winning. Brexit won’t affect me.

Associate
If you have an Irish passport you are an EU citizen so you can live and work in any of the 27 EU countries no problem.

I have a British passport and a French one. So basically I am winning. Brexit won’t affect me.

Haha, same here.

I wouldn't have been able to stay in France if I didn't get Irish citizenship, I had to change employers, quit my job with a British company and join a Swiss one (no regrets in the end though). BREXIT created a total mess for British expats in Europe and I know many who just gave up and went home or who have been forced home due to work. Companies here can't be bothered to deal with the uncertainty of it all (and why should they bother, most Brits don't speak a word of any other language), so job applications from sole UK nationals are just binned most of the time.

Anyway, both my wife and I now have dual nationality, so we're BREXIT-proofed and we are grateful that we were lucky enough to have the right heritage links. BREXIT is not our problem anymore, the UK can enjoy the next five years of never-ending BREXIT related nonsense, whilst everyone else moves on with more interesting things.

It's probably the one thing in my adult life that I have felt legitimately smug about. None of this is my problem at all and I couldn't care less what happens.

Last edited:
Soldato

Same here, I got an Irish Passport as my mum is from Northern Ireland. I don't see what is wrong with giving your children more options on where they want to live and work. If they use it then great and if not, then no harm done.

Commissario
Same here, I got an Irish Passport as my mum is from Northern Ireland. I don't see what is wrong with giving your children more options on where they want to live and work. If they use it then great and if not, then no harm done.
Exactly.

Some people might be happy at the possible (probable) loss of the ability to move and work freely anywhere in Europe, but I can completely understand why people would want to retain that ability, especially for their children, especially given how certain jobs might well be based in one country but require you to be able to work in other locations on a regular basis and sometimes at short notice.

Soldato
I got my Irish passport last year through my father being Irish. My wife was born in Ireland and is automatically a citizen, we will apply for the kids through the wife as it is a bit easier to do it via parent than grandparents.

Soldato
Haha, same here.

I wouldn't have been able to stay in France if I didn't get Irish citizenship, I had to change employers, quit my job with a British company and join a Swiss one (no regrets in the end though). BREXIT created a total mess for British expats in Europe and I know many who just gave up and went home or who have been forced home due to work. Companies here can't be bothered to deal with the uncertainty of it all (and why should they bother, most Brits don't speak a word of any other language), so job applications from people holding only British passports are just binned most of the time.

Anyway, both my wife and I now have dual nationality, so we're BREXIT-proofed and we are grateful that we were lucky enough to have the right heritage links. BREXIT is not our problem anymore, the UK can enjoy the next five years of never-ending BREXIT related nonsense, whilst everyone else moves on with more interesting things.

It's probably the one thing in my adult life that I have felt legitimately smug about. None of this is my problem at all and I couldn't care less what happens.

You know most people just go about their daily lives with zero issues and only hear about Brexit on the news? No one is being hindered from doing anything interesting with their life because of Brexit. Most people also don't actually want to work in a country where they don't speak the language or know anyone.

So all those EU countries that allowed British passport holders to travel without a visa from 1947/8 will now want a visa?

I thought the Eu was implementing a travellers VISA sometime soon. Its nothing much, very much like the US one
So I believe that yes, as no longer members in a few weeks we would technically require a VISA once it is implemented for non members

Back
Top Bottom