Getting Irish nationality for children?

Soldato
So all those EU countries that allowed British passport holders to travel without a visa from 1947/8 will now want a visa?

It like there seems to be some sort of fear that post Brexit the EU will pump the Chunnel full of concrete and close all the channel ports.

Having said that, if the EU did go all spiteful over this issue, then it would just confirm in my mind the idea that the EU is not a club I want to be a member of and that Brexit was a good idea.

Soldato
OP shouldn't have kids if he is so dumb and think the world is going to end.

An IQ test before having kids would be a good thing.
He didn’t say that he is just trying to get them the best he can and they can have that by being both U.K. and EU citizens he is not talking about leaving the country. Hell if I could have an Irish passport I would just for easy European travel post Brexit!

Associate
You know most people just go about their daily lives with zero issues and only hear about Brexit on the news? No one is being hindered from doing anything interesting with their life because of Brexit. Most people also don't actually want to work in a country where they don't speak the language or know anyone.

That's interesting, because I'm pretty sure that there has been a disproportionate tendency for people to whine or bang on about Brexit, one way or another and especially on here. In any case, by Brexit related nonsense I mean the constant news cycle and pointless personal debates about something no one really has any clue about. I'm certainly not suggesting people in Britain are going to be queuing up at foodbanks because of it.

I imagine for 99% of people it will all pan out to be a bit of a damp squib. The lives of Brits will probably barely change in the long run. It will not suddenly become amazing to live in the UK, nor will it become a dystopian nightmare. At best, it will probably just become slightly more annoying for Brits to travel, work, drive and access healthcare and social services in Europe. You'll still be able to do it, it'll just be slightly more difficult and take more time.

My main point is that I was already on the Continent when Brexit happened and it ****ed everything up and it still is ****ing things up for Brits. Having dual nationality makes all that go away. The situation for Brits will eventually settle down and become clear, but when your life is out here and you have kids in school the stress levels go through the roof. Now, there is zero stress.

Last edited:
Associate
I imagine for 99% of people it will all pan out to be a bit of a damp squib. The lives of Brits will probably barely change in the long run. It will not suddenly become amazing to live in the UK, nor will it become a dystopian nightmare. At best, it will probably just become slightly more annoying for Brits to travel, work, drive and access healthcare and social services in Europe. You'll still be able to do it, it'll just be slightly more difficult and take more time.

Assuming no No-Deal Brexit. If that happens, all bets are off.

Caporegime
I thought the Eu was implementing a travellers VISA sometime soon. Its nothing much, very much like the US one
So I believe that yes, as no longer members in a few weeks we would technically require a VISA once it is implemented for non members

Rather unlikely we'd require a visa, ditto to the likes of the US - you can generally travel for up to 3 months visa free to the US - likely to be the same for the EU (or rather Schengen - obviously Ireland doesn't have restrictions like that for UK travellers, can move there too if you want - and other areas outside of Schengen are tbc... re: travellers)

Soldato
That's interesting, because I'm pretty sure that there has been a disproportionate tendency for people to whine or bang on about Brexit, one way or another and especially on here. In any case, by Brexit related nonsense I mean the constant news cycle and pointless personal debates about something no one really has any clue about. I'm certainly not suggesting people in Britain are going to be queuing up at foodbanks because of it.

My main point is that I was already on the Continent when Brexit happened and it ****ed everything up and it still is ****ing things up for Brits. Having dual nationality makes all that go away. The situation for Brits will eventually settle down and become clear, but when your life is out here and you have kids in school the stress levels go through the roof. Now, there is zero stress.

On the internet and the news people bang on about Brexit, I never hear about it in real life. No one in the office mentions it, except maybe the odd guy who thought everyone was going to vote for Labour in the last general election.

I'm glad that everything worked out for you though.

Associate
Rather unlikely we'd require a visa, ditto to the likes of the US - you can generally travel for up to 3 months visa free to the US - likely to be the same for the EU (or rather Schengen - obviously Ireland doesn't have restrictions like that for UK travellers, can move there too if you want - and other areas outside of Schengen are tbc... re: travellers)

You still have to apply for the ESTA though if you want to go the US/Canada. So even if it isn't a visa in the literal sense, a trip to Majorca is likely to require some new paperwork not currently required, and Brits hate paperwork.

Caporegime
You still have to apply for the ESTA though if you want to go the US/Canada. So even if it isn't a visa in the literal sense, a trip to Majorca is likely to require some new paperwork not currently required, and Brits hate paperwork.

It’s going to cost like £7 and covers 3 years... if it keeps the chavs away from some Spanish and Greek resorts then that’s a bonus too! :D

Soldato
It’s going to cost like £7 and covers 3 years... if it keeps the chavs away from some Spanish and Greek resorts then that’s a bonus too! :D

Rather spend that £7 on myself than some kind of visa.

Yes, I also hate paper work and paying for stuff I didnt need to before.

Soldato

Oh please, I went to Turkey about 5 years ago and they required a Visa, the process was done on landing in a few minutes and cost about a fiver. Even an ESTA takes about 15 minutes to do online.

Back
Top Bottom