Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
@Mcnumpty2323

Imgur is what I use.

Just select the size you want (you can preview this within OCUK), copy the BBCode, press the image icon in OCUK and paste.
Thank you
Stupidly I was just pasting the link in~which works in some forums to be fair to me lol
Never thought to press image icon first
If only I can remember where I stored my cat photos now lol

Man of Honour
Vespa has now started using the scratchpost alongside the carpet so now just to stop the latter :)

Any tips on insurance, what to look out for/avoid?

I just went for Petplan as it was recommended by both our vet and the breeder and the prices aren't too bad. Of course, so far for both kittens their treatments have come under the £95 excess - the last 'on going' treatment came to £93.

Good to hear the scratchpost is being used. It is amazing how they go from not using it to absolutely destroying it.

I've covered our house in 'Kitty cams' now so that I can see what they are doing in the day while I'm in work. Our Ragdoll is becoming a true Ragdoll and follows us around everywhere. She also just sits there while I put the drops in her eye - she purred throughout the entirety of our visit to the vet and while in the cat carrier. The other kitten is absolutely obsessed with my PC monitor and chases the cursor (or last weekend the units in Total War) around the screen - it particularly amuses me when she goes round to the back to see where things have gone.

Soldato
Just gives a reminder of what healthcare would cost us if there wasn't the NHS

I am a fully paid up member of the NHS - it's a pity I can't transfer some of it to the Vet's.

Wednesday we took Ronnie back for a final check on his ears - seemed OK and Vet gave us a bottle of ear drops as final medication.
Thursday morning gave him his first dose but syringe went stiff then let go so most of it just went into top of his ears - Oh well try later - He went out and we went out - Got back and called him - 5 min later he was at back door - let him in and he plodded straight into lounge - lay on rug in front of fire looking sorry for himself- I thought he was ****** off with the drops but later wife said look at his breathing and sure enough it was very fast and his chest seemed to be in two halves - intake and half puffed out -exhale and it went down and another part puffed out.
He ate nothing from yesterday morning till we took him to vet at 8.30 this morning- Poor little sole wet his pants as he had been in for over 20 hours - asked desk at vets if anyone could take him out back and dry him and cage out - Bit later they came out and said he is on oxygen because of high breathing rate so we left him there - Every time Vet went to listen to his chest he was purring like a train so she couldn't hear it - Depending on what she can hear or not means a scan and/or a xray.

Just when we thought we were on the home straight something else has cropped up.

EDIT
Vet has rang back and it seems Ronnie has a bust ear drum due to the infection and a hole in his lung hence the fast breathing. She said it got symptoms of a bump like being hit by a car but she didn't find anything else to support that so it could be his asthma.
Large bills incoming.

EDIT 2

Some good news - I wasn't aware that ear drums grow back ? - and the hole in his lungs should also heal up - The Vet said keep him in - Yea you try keeping a outdoor cat in - he has just hopped off for a look around and I hope a poo - he should be back soon for the night in front of the fire.
If cats are healthy they are fine but by god if there is something wrong it's a nightmare.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just went for Petplan as it was recommended by both our vet and the breeder and the prices aren't too bad. Of course, so far for both kittens their treatments have come under the £95 excess - the last 'on going' treatment came to £93.
Great thanks. Yes it's alright for my gf saying I can have one of her sister's kittens for free but she wont have to pay the vet bills :o

Can't complain too much though, she just fell asleep on the "Esc" key so my workload for the day just disappeared :p

She's also loving the mouse cursor and inputting text and goes round the back to see what's going on

zD9OXIEr.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
so many cute wee kitties :D

dougal was in a bad way, vet call out between christmas and new years.

turns out he has a weak heart now and he had fluid in his lungs, his heart tissue is thick and not as responsive as it should be :(

nearly 1000 quid later he has heart tabs and is thankfully on the mend and he had a good dose of anti biotics, he now eats dreamies a wee bit and mum is giving him chicken and prawns and all sorts of meatty stuff :D

Soldato
Fetched Ronnie from Vet last night and she said keep him in and keep an eye on him. - First thing he wanted was to go out and he wouldn't take no for an answer so let him out - He was like a new cat -full of beans and didn't want to come in. He finally came in but didn't want to sit by the fire - He was running into each room as though he had a flea up his bum. Normally he settles down by fire for the night but this time he just stayed on window sill in bedroom.
This morning he is just the same running off and about - did manage to catch him here where I could count his breathing rate and was pleased it was 35 per minute well in spec.

It's so nice to see him running round and he has lost weight we think - he weighed in at 5.7 kg

414366094.jpg

Caporegime
+1, however I find the Agriselect brand (the white + clear bags), to be on average a little less dusty for roughly the same price. Wood pellets seem to be way better value than clumping for a cat that urinates a lot. Mine drinks like a fish so a small bag of clumping wouldn't last long at all.
We started off on wood pellets and tbh, they were a huge hassle compared to clumping wood-based litter (oko plus here). Also did not like the sensation of digging around in the rough pellets. And nor did the cat.

Associate
We started off on wood pellets and tbh, they were a huge hassle compared to clumping wood-based litter (oko plus here). Also did not like the sensation of digging around in the rough pellets. And nor did the cat.

I found that the finer the bits are, the more of it I find around the house. The wood pellets are quite heavy so have the advantage of not travelling far. The preference of the cat trumps all though

Associate
So we've been looking after a friends cat whilst they take an extended honeymoon. Just before Christmas she started making noises like she was snoring, sneezing a lot, and had a lot of discharge around the nose and eyes. Off to the vets we went and got antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. The discharge was likely caused by a URI and disappeared but the snoring sound has only got worse.

Took her to the vet yesterday who noticed some swelling above her nose and between the eyes. She's been recommended for a CT scan but that's gonna be costly and we can't get hold of our friends to sort her insurance. Looks like some sort of blockage in there, could be a tumor, could just be another infection, can't tell without a scan.

Fortunately she seems otherwise healthy and behaving normally, so cancer seems unlikely, and the swelling doesn't seem to be coming up too quick. It's gonna be a long two weeks though.

Edit: Juniper at the vet having a great time. Vet trip. https://imgur.com/gallery/24LJs3M

Soldato
Bought some wood pellet litter today. Have mixed some in for now so will see how it goes. Also bought some dry food to mix in and try to transition to as well. I'm not a fan of the idea of throwing away multiple sachets a day and increasing my single use plastic intake dramatically :o Vespa barely drinks any water at the moment but I assume she will more on dry food.

Soldato
I found that the finer the bits are, the more of it I find around the house. The wood pellets are quite heavy so have the advantage of not travelling far. The preference of the cat trumps all though

Same here
With the finer stuff the hoover was on overtime as came out on their paws
And as said depends what the cats like~they are the boss after all lol
Mine actually love the noise of throwing the pellets around the litter tray as a game
Luckily they have enclosed trays

Soldato
Bought some wood pellet litter today. Have mixed some in for now so will see how it goes. Also bought some dry food to mix in and try to transition to as well. I'm not a fan of the idea of throwing away multiple sachets a day and increasing my single use plastic intake dramatically :o Vespa barely drinks any water at the moment but I assume she will more on dry food.
Mine are only on dry food for same reasons as you~wastage~~plastic packaging and of course the smell of the wet food is awful
She should drink more once on the dry food mine really do drink a lot of water on the dry food
Though every cat is different and.as long as healthy on the amount of water she drinks is main thing

Back
Top Bottom