No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato

Internet Historian has just made an excellent video on no mans sky. Well worth a watch. I'm actually convinced to buy it after seeing this video.

Super good video. It really explains how Sean Murray painted himself into a corner (with a big helping hand from the press) with the interviews he was obliged to take with Sony's money and Sony's launch deadline, and how he had the integrity to keep working on the game until it was more than what was originally promised.

I kind of feel sorry for Murray, as he really was out of his depth and comfort zone doing the PR he was obligated to perform, and only realising later what a noose he'd tied around his neck when everything unravelled. I can't see any big company, or most executives then going back and spending three years delivering what was originally intended. Murray made mistakes, but at least he's gone back and fixed them, which is more than you can say for almost everyone else that has been in his situation.

Man of Honour
Have to say I had almost none of those bugs as in the video when I played it and I usually seem to fall foul of every bug going in a game.

EDIT: I find it strange two players on stream were able to find an identical place in the early build of the game - one of the things that put me off the game was how if you went more than a short distance from an area and returned it would be regenerated and look completely different. Unless the networking features were sharing the seed used to generate an area a player was currently active in and so one of them by being there was holding it open.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played for about an hour yesterday after not touching it for a year. No idea what I'm doing anymore but I have some very nice kit to do it with.
Might have to start again though as I'm so lost.

Soldato
What sort of graphics cards are people running this on now?
I've started a new game this week, after watching a decent lets play recently. It seems to run quite a bit worse than I remember, with the RX480 really struggling at 2560x1440 :'(.

Might be upgrade time.

Soldato
OP
What sort of graphics cards are people running this on now?
I've started a new game this week, after watching a decent lets play recently. It seems to run quite a bit worse than I remember, with the RX480 really struggling at 2560x1440 :'(.

Might be upgrade time.
Can't comment on NMS, but having upgraded from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440, my Nvidia 1070 just about cuts it. The only struggle it now seems to have is in Sandstorm, where I've dropped down to less than 50-60fps, even in medium to high detail settings... But most other games are fine at high detail level and maintain 60+fps.

Soldato
I've binned off a good amount of details, and used resolution scaling to get me to a rough 60fps.
Will keep an eye out for some decent GPU deals over the next while.

I forgot how enjoyable the early game can be.
When I think about how launch was, there's just so much more to do.

Soldato
I might give this a go £15 on cdkeys.

Had my eye on this game since release, but always thought it was expensive for what it was and a lot of mixed feedback.

I also seen Scott Manley YouTube on it and he didn't seem too impressed just looks a bit grindey.

But..... It's also the kinds game I do normally enjoy, and for £15 might be worth a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom