US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Soldato
Then stop implying that the US aren't stupid enough to blow up a innocent commercial airliner when they have done exactly that in 1988 in FAR worse circumstances :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Then stop implying that the US aren't stupid enough to blow up a innocent commercial airliner when they have done exactly that in 1988 in FAR worse circumstances :rolleyes:

I never implied anything of the sort. Crazy reading fail comprehension number 1.
The incident was over 30 years ago with worse radar technology. Crazy intelligence fail number 1. Iran air flight 688 was flying in the approximate direction of the US vessels and failed to respond to 10 prompts. Crazy intelligence fail number 2. A helicopter from the fleet had just been attacked by Iranian targets. Crazy intelligence fail number 3.
UAI flight was flying away from Tehran. Iran had not just been attacked. Iran has more up to date surface to air tech than the US did 30 years ago.

Soldato
Anyone else think this has been sat on as yesterday it would maybe have been too sensitive ?

Press has been unusually quiet and non speculative - I've not seen the normal experts rolled out and interviewed etc just seems odd

Completely different to news when the incident in Ukraine happened etc

Caporegime
I never implied anything of the sort. Crazy reading fail comprehension number 1.
The incident was over 30 years ago with worse radar technology. Crazy intelligence fail number 1. Iran air flight 688 was flying in the approximate direction of the US vessels and failed to respond to 10 prompts. Crazy intelligence fail number 2. A helicopter from the fleet had just been attacked by Iranian targets. Crazy intelligence fail number 3.
UAI flight was flying away from Tehran. Iran had not just been attacked. Iran has more up to date surface to air tech than the US did 30 years ago.

First point is relevant, second point not so much, still high-tension environment with twitchy fingers/systems the expectation of an attack is similar in both scenarios, quality of anti-air tech isn't that important, as the main issue is identity, except where it might be possible to cancel it (which is doubtful at such speed and the issue of identity still being there).

Caporegime
First point is relevant, second point not so much, still high-tension environment with twitchy fingers/systems, quality of anti-air tech isn't that important, as the main issue is identity.

The quality is entirely relevant as it allows you to determine the nature of the target. Is it a single seater small plane, is it a multi-engine, is it a large cargo aircraft? All can feasibly be determined from radar signature.

Caporegime
The quality is entirely relevant as it allows you to determine the nature of the target. Is it a single seater small plane, is it a multi-engine, is it a large cargo aircraft? All can feasibly be determined from radar signature.

And there are technologies to obfuscate radar signature, it could have been a B2 for all the operators knew. Iran is after all facing a far more advanced threat to themselves. Anyway, it's still incompetence, but it's understandable, even if unreasonable.

Caporegime
Generally you try and reduce radar profile...

A deadly assumption in war/conflict I'd hazard, enough of me going through the paces about the operators and their mindspace, the real problem is that Tehran allowed flights whatsoever when it was 'retaliating'.

Just downright stupid with no justification.

Caporegime
A deadly assumption in war/conflict I'd hazard, enough moaning about the operators and their mindspace though, the real problem is that Tehran allowed flights whatsoever when it was 'retaliating'.

Just downright stupid with no justification.

Not really, hence why the B2 is a STEALTH bomber. It aims to REDUCE its radar profile. F35's etc do the same. They don't try and make themselves more obvious.

Caporegime
Not really, hence why the B2 is a STEALTH bomber. It aims to REDUCE its radar profile. F35's etc do the same. They don't try and make themselves more obvious.

And you don't survive thinking like that in Iran's position, they have to be ready for all eventualities, including perfidy.

Caporegime
Slick moves Iran but if the USA let it go, it seems like its going that way, then 2 wrongs do make a right for the USA and they have got away with it at the cost of 200ish civilian lives... lol wtf...
THey should let Iran keep burning off their stock of joke rockets. No big deal... seems more luck based.

Caporegime
Tell you what, find a single aircraft which intentionally increases its radar profile as a defensive measure.

I don't need to, this has nothing to do with what is true, but what could be true, we're talking about military personnel who see their enemy as sub-human, they're not concerned with the fact that the West tries to act civil even in war, because they see that as a lie from the outset.

Soldato
Unless things escalate the Iranian response seems nothing more than theatrics to propogandise to their own people.

My pet tinfoil theory is that the Iranians gave Solemani up and were ok for him to be killed while on foreign soil. He must have been a threat to the Mullahs in some respect and at a time of infighting and demonstrations inside the country, removing a populist who could have rallied support for a military coup might not be a bad idea.

It isn't tin foil hat territory, that kind of back room antics happens. I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if the Iranians gave him up as he had become so powerful. Sorts two problems out and then all the Iranians had to do was retaliate with this show of force on Al Assad. The number of decisions made based solely on public opinion and political sway as a result of the action is incredible. Politics drives all military decision process. After all, war is just diplomacy by other means ;)

Caporegime
I don't need to, this has nothing to do with what is true, but what could be true, we're talking about military personnel who see their enemy as sub-human, they're not concerned with the fact that the West tries to act civil even in war, because they see that as a lie from the outset.

Course you do, you made a claim that what I'd said was incorrect because they could have made a fighter look like a passenger yet. I'm saying back up your assertion. Come on. Do it.

Back
Top Bottom