• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth upgrading an i7 8700 (non K) to an i9 9900k?

Associate
OP
Many thanks JarppaK and everyone else for taking the time to reply to my question.

I have this motherboard and cpu as bought a second-hand system a while ago and have built around it. I shall wait for next gen and have to say that my current pc performs everything I ask of it and have no real complaints.

Many thanks again.

Associate
Get the 8 or 10core comet lake with a high end board and oc the hell out of it.

If you want to wait longer the Ryzen4000 should be good. Wait for CES for release dates.

Soldato
How does the 9900k perform on a z370 as I have a 8086k with all cores at 4.9? But I have been looking at the 9900k but will I have endless of problems due to the z370 board

Last edited:
Associate
How does the 9900k perform on a z370 as I have a 8086k with all cores at 4.9? But I have been looking at the 9900k but will I have endless of problems due to the z370 board

The VRM on your board is very inadequate for a 9900k. You're better off upgrading your memory to something faster for performance.

Man of Honour
How much would I notice upgrading the memory?
based on what you've said you use your computer for...not a lot
maybe in games it'll be a bit smoother (since faster ram helps slightly with the minimum frame rates) but i suspect you're better off upgrading your 290 (lol) if you wanted better framerates
tl;dr upgrading ram is a waste of time in your scenario

Associate
Thanks, I thought that would be the case, How much would I notice upgrading the memory?

A bit of everything really, gaming, 3d printing/designing, media server and general use.

you basically have an un balanced system at the moment. Your cpu is great but everything else around it is either borderline or below par.

your 3 areas of improvement will Be:
- new gpu
- better ram
- new mobo

In that order. At this stage the your cpu is barely doing anything as your gpu is too slow to keep up and becomes your bottleneck. Let’s say you swapped that out with a 2080 super. All of a sudden your ram would be a major bottleneck as the gpu is now waiting on the cpu which in turn is waiting on your slow memory to keep up.

it’s all about balance.

Associate
The expense won't justify the gain. You may even need to upgrade your motherboard. At 1440p you won't see much gain anyway.

I would wait for either AMD or Intel to release new CPU's for it to actually show you any reasonable gains.

AMD's next gen is looking even more powerful the Ryzen 3000 and 9900K.

Soldato
you basically have an un balanced system at the moment. Your cpu is great but everything else around it is either borderline or below par.

your 3 areas of improvement will Be:
- new gpu
- better ram
- new mobo

In that order. At this stage the your cpu is barely doing anything as your gpu is too slow to keep up and becomes your bottleneck. Let’s say you swapped that out with a 2080 super. All of a sudden your ram would be a major bottleneck as the gpu is now waiting on the cpu which in turn is waiting on your slow memory to keep up.

it’s all about balance.

Thanks, I know my gpu is holding my cpu up badly, but I am not a big gamer and what games I do play, the gpu runs them plenty smooth enough. Im also amazed that I have got all cores running at 4.9ghz as it was a cheapish motherboard, about £130... But yeah my cpu is real good but everything else is rubbish, but its fast enough for me atm

Associate
I wouldn't say so, I went from a 8600k to a 9900k and tbh the difference is not that much although it did help with streaming.

Yeah, you will see big difference when streaming because 8600k got 6c/6t turns 9900k got 8c/16t so it would help a lot.

Also if example you do some picture or video render you will gain big leap forward.
Gaming you see gains like you said. Got something but not so much.

Tbh 9900k is good for gaming if don’t mind the price of it.

Soldato
hi

I presently have an i7 8700 (non K) @ 4.3 ghz
16gb 3200 DDR4
Asus Prime Z370-P motherboard
2080ti

and am wondering if it is worth upgrading to an i9 9900k? I mainly use my pc for gaming.

If it is worth the upgrade any ideas how much I could expect to get for my 8700?

Many thanks for help.
You own a 2080ti, I doubt you're short of a few quid. Get the net setup and sell the old rig. You'll not be too out of pocket.

Associate
Yeah, you will see big difference when streaming because 8600k got 6c/6t turns 9900k got 8c/16t so it would help a lot.

Also if example you do some picture or video render you will gain big leap forward.
Gaming you see gains like you said. Got something but not so much.

Tbh 9900k is good for gaming if don’t mind the price of it.
Yes it's cut my After Effects rendering in half, I think I will say this, if it's purely for gaming and nothing else then no going to a 9900k isn't really worth it for the majority of people, if you tinker with other stuff then yes it is.

With the streaming though it's only helped with cpu usage (which wasn''t a problem anyway) but it's just give me more leeway but day to day it hasn't made a difference that much, maybe one or two titles I can run at 1080*60fps instead of 1080*30

Back
Top Bottom