The next reg plate craze is...

Soldato
The dark tinted rear number plate!

I think what they're doing is using some of that plastic film people use to tint their light clusters and heatshrinking it over the rear reg plate. I don't know if people mistakenly think it looks good or if it is rumoured to somehow evade speed cameras.

Saw 3 or 4 this morning, one of which was a black bmw m4 which had a dark tinted laser cut rear plate. Bit of a waste because IMO those laser cut plates look quite smart.

Is it just a Bristol thing or have there been sightings elsewhere?

Associate
Getting worse here. It's hilarious when they've got a private reg on that's unreadable because of it. Morons.
How clever the people that do this are! Pay money for a cherished plate, put it on your car and then cover the plate in a film to make it barely legible.

Not something I've seen around Oxford but tbf I haven't really been looking.

Associate
Never seen it in South Manchester but not surprised it's somehow a thing.

The main thing that really annoys me with number plates is the stupid fonts... Oh lease a car for 2 years and stick some stupid number plate on it with either illegal spacing or a stupid font that looks like something out of a 90s word document.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Saw it a few weeks back on an M4 actually - think the only time I've seen it - heard this ridiculous engine howl and he came flying past me on a windy A road and was overtaking people pretty dangerously into bends, etc. - came around a corner onto a long straight and I could still hear the engine noise as he pulled out to overtake someone at the end of it ~500m away.

Soldato
I see one regularly around me in an identical car to my own, a 10 year old grey Toyota Avensis estate. I just can't get my head around it as it is one of the most boring cars on the road, the whole point of them is to be completely bland and anonymous so why bother to semi black out your reg plates?

Soldato
I've never seen the point of putting something on a car that says "Dear Mr Police officer. Please pull me over".

It's part of the reason I bought an MX5 as a toy, my brother in law told me he could drive it anywhere in a fun way and no one looks twice at them.

Soldato
Somthing I've noticed a lot recently is brand new cars with reg plates from the mid noughties. Seems to be mostly brand new Audi's.
Not talking special plates either... Seems a bit of a weird one.

Back
Top Bottom