Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes

Soldato
Clapton v Hendrix - classic
Basically when Hendrix first came to England he would only come if he could play with Clapton.
Hendrix went on and Clapton walked off saying I didn't know he was that good.

Hendrix, himself a fan of Clapton, was allowed to join in one of Cream's jam sessions at Regent Street Polytechnic. Clappers was blown away and did have to step out, because Hendrix was THAT much better.
Not exactly a massive hissy fit, though.

Man of Honour
I do like Gervais (I thought his latest live stand up was hilarious, saw it in person) but the constant self-promoting is grating. Here, he was talking about his Afterlife show. A great show! But it’s always a bit me me me me me. You always know he’s going to talk about himself. That’s the ‘boring’ part.

Soldato
I actually have zero idea, which ones are the 'the "woke" or daydreaming people'?
Since 'woke' is in inverted commas, presumably it's the people who do not share your view on the matter... regardless of which view that might be!

I did rewatch some of Gervais's Golden Globe videos. His material ought to be quite funny, but he himself is just a nob and his delivery sucks. He seems like he's trying to be Dennis Leary and failing... while Dennis was trying to be Bill Hicks and similarly failed.
Gervais's BS Reading accent is annoying, as well. You can tell he's from Whitley!

Soldato
I don't understand.
Whitley is in Reading?
Yes.
It's a suburb just South of the town centre, where you'll find a lot of the... err... 'lower echelons of society', shall we say? Somewhat neglected by Police, having track marks on your arms is a prerequisite for living on some roads round there, although having two or more kids before you leave school also helps. Parking for your Mini-Moto is at your own risk.
Used to be famous for two things - Midge Ure and the Whitley Whiff, the latter a combination of smells leeching out from the sewage treatment works and the nearby Courage brewery. Now it has Gervais as its shining beacon....

Soldato
Gervais's BS Reading accent is annoying, as well. You can tell he's from Whitley!
I think that has to be the most esoteric jibe at him yet. You're kidding right? I'm from Newbury and in my mind he's got a Reading accent - because he's from Reading. Whitley is in the Borough of Reading and has an RG2 postcode.

Soldato
Another thing I like about Ricky Gervais is his total commitment to the support of any and all animals, and against cruelty and abuse in particular. I especially like the Bull 1 Matador 0 clips he posts.

Soldato
I think that has to be the most esoteric jibe at him yet. You're kidding right? I'm from Newbury and in my mind he's got a Reading accent - because he's from Reading. Whitley is in the Borough of Reading and has an RG2 postcode.
I never said he didn't have a Reading accent. It's annoying, because there is no such thing as an actual Reading accent - It's just a slight (and blatantly forced) affectation of the proper 'BARRRRRRk-shire' accent, common to Redingensians from areas like Whitley. His acting like a nob with a chip on his shoulder only adds to the Whitley aura.
And yes, I do know where Whitley is, thanks - I work just on the opposite side of the A33 from it!

Back
Top Bottom