Why you don't use Halfords.

Soldato
Really?
I have no idea how much Halfords charges but I cant see as it would be as much as lets say a BMW garage so I understand people do consider that tempting though it works out more expensive in the end any way :(

Caporegime
Its not even much more expensive to take it to a real mechanic. I wouldnt let Halfords anywhere near my car.

It is a bloody car battery for christ sake! He could have fitted it himself. The owners manual would go into plenty of detail of how to do it. Making an omelette requires more thought!

People just have no basic life skills anymore. That's aimed at both the father and the shop boy!

Soldato
It is a bloody car battery for christ sake! He could have fitted it himself. The owners manual would go into plenty of detail of how to do it. Making an omelette requires more thought!

People just have no basic life skills anymore. That's aimed at both the father and the shop boy!

Maybe his Dad is too old to be hefting batteries about.

Man of Honour

This is a fair point, I changed my first car battery at half six in the morning half asleep and in the dark. All went fine.

Soldato
These days there is no pride in the work being done as it's all about the profit and statistics, in this conveyor belt world of customer service we have to withstand. I have no faith in even my local Ford garage who have lied to me and broken things and left them. I try to do my own work. Build my own PCs. Fix my house myself if possible. Build my own bikes too.

Soldato

That's not always possible. My Focus had a battery brace that required a really deep 10mm socket that I didn't have. Luckily I had a mate working at Costco where I'd just bought mine from that could lend me his so I could fit it. Not everyone has the tools.

Caporegime
That's not always possible. My Focus had a battery brace that required a really deep 10mm socket that I didn't have. Luckily I had a mate working at Costco where I'd just bought mine from that could lend me his so I could fit it. Not everyone has the tools.

Halfords fitting of said battery was £15. You can buy a perfectly capable socket set for changing a car battery for £10 from the very same shop! You could be a real pain and return it the next day as well :p.

People shouldn't be encouraged to fit car batteries unless they are confident in what they are doing.

Yes its a very simple job if your confident in what your doing, but as this thread shows its quite possible to mess this up.

The problem with places like this is its real pot luck in regards who you get, but then so are main dealers to some extent. They are probably just better at ensuring someone capable is at least checking the work of the less trained.

Soldato
this will turn into a sn****** comment, but is aptitude to even change batteries something that young mechanics, do not pick up from their parents, or their personal experience.

If the BMW terminals are different sizes, I had never spotted that ... shame on me. ... but on removal I always cut the black wire first.

Caporegime
this will turn into a sn****** comment, but is aptitude to even change batteries something that young mechanics, do not pick up from their parents, or their personal experience.

If the BMW terminals are different sizes, I had never spotted that ... shame on me. ... but on removal I always cut the black wire first.

No one ever bothers but every car for the past 50 years has come with a manual and will give step by step instructions on basic maintenance like changing batteries and light bulbs, how to check oil, correct tyres etc etc. Most of the more premium brands even have the tools in the back to do this.

I dread to think of an apocalyptic scenario or ww3. Half the planet would get wiped out instantly with the inability to do simple things but that degree in accounting will make up for it :p

Soldato
No one ever bothers but every car for the past 50 years has come with a manual and will give step by step instructions on basic maintenance like changing batteries and light bulbs, how to check oil, correct tyres etc etc. Most of the more premium brands even have the tools in the back to do this.

The owners manual for the MGB shows you how to set the rocker clearances :D

Soldato
My father just called, pretty distraught. He took his Skoda Yeti to the local Halfords and paid 15 quid for the battery replacement service (normally the kind of thing I would do if it wasn't an emergency).

They connected the terminals round the wrong way, and now none of the electrics are working. Car starts, no lights/power steering/washers etc.

Sounds to me like they fried the ECU, but could it be a fuse(s)?

They are refusing to admit responsibility, he has a receipt with the service listed on it. He hasn't budged, its been 3 hours of them trying to fob him off now.

Idiots.

The lights and PAS are all built into the large fuse panel block that covers the battery. Also, don't forget, some modern cars (the Yeti probably included) may require the battery to be coded when replaced.

Soldato
No one ever bothers but every car for the past 50 years has come with a manual and will give step by step instructions on basic maintenance like changing batteries and light bulbs, how to check oil, correct tyres etc etc.

I wouldn't bet on it. My wife's Audi S4 in the manual for rear light bulb change says to take it to a garage. And it's only one screw that needs to be undone!

I haven't checked it for battery maintenance, but with that in mind I suspect it doesn't tell you how to do it.

Soldato
I used them for a cheap MOT recently, it failed on a few things but I rectified 90% of them and allowed halfords to do the last job. They probably weren't the cheapest but they did the work the following day and it passed its MOT.

They also let you pay interest free over 4 months which is quite handy if you need some tyres and dont wanna break the bank that month.

Soldato

I dread to think of an apocalyptic scenario or ww3. Half the planet would get wiped out instantly with the inability to do simple things but that degree in accounting will make up for it :p

My manual says no such thing.
For everything it says take it to the dealer.

Changing a battery in a modern cast is far beyond most now anyway with the need to reset BMS after fitting a new battery.
Lights on mine are bumper off, light units out job.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't bet on it. My wife's Audi S4 in the manual for rear light bulb change says to take it to a garage. And it's only one screw that needs to be undone!

I haven't checked it for battery maintenance, but with that in mind I suspect it doesn't tell you how to do it.

Yeah :( the manual/handbook for more than one vehicle I've had under maintenance when you go to the relevant entry simply gives you two options for taking it to someone else to do - very helpful.

A lot of vehicles seem to be designed to make you use a garage for the simplest of things :( which is ridiculous like having to take 2 body panels (total of 18 fastenings and needs two people) and a bracket off just to change a simple light bulb, etc.

Caporegime
Yeah :( the manual/handbook for more than one vehicle I've had under maintenance when you go to the relevant entry simply gives you two options for taking it to someone else to do - very helpful.

A lot of vehicles seem to be designed to make you use a garage for the simplest of things :( which is ridiculous like having to take 2 body panels (total of 18 fastenings and needs two people) and a bracket off just to change a simple light bulb, etc.

I am really surprised with that. I understand some of the more premium brands need stuff resetting when changing a battery but just goes to show how everything just gets dumbed down these days!

Back
Top Bottom