******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Caporegime
Update on CryTek vs CIG.

In short CryTek have moved to dismiss the case, CIG want it to continue..

Why do CryTek want to end it here? its to do with Squadron 42, CryTek want to dismiss the old case and build a new case, their contention now is that CIG claimed they moved from Cryengine to Lumberyard for the game when in fact they have not, CryTek say they have new evidence to prove this and are waiting for Squadron 42 to be released, so they can prove it is in fact Cryengine not Lumberyard.

CIG seemingly preempting this have conceded the code is the same, which it is, Lumberyard and Cryengine are the same engine, Lumberyard is Cryengine under another name, but CIG maintain it is the Lumberyard version of the engine.

I use both, Amazon have made some cosmetic UI changes to Cryengine and built a custom plugin system around it, other than that, they are the same engine, its going to be difficult to tell them apart at a code level.

Last edited:
Soldato
Update on CryTek vs CIG.

In short CryTek have moved to dismiss the case, CIG want it to continue..

Why do CryTek want to end it here? its to do with Squadron 42, CryTek want to dismiss the old case and build a new case, their contention now is that CIG claimed they moved from Cryengine to Lumberyard for the game when in fact they have not, CryTek say they have new evidence to prove this and are waiting for Squadron 42 to be released, so they can prove it is in fact Cryengine not Lumberyard.

CIG seemingly preempting this have conceded the code is the same, which it is, Lumberyard and Cryengine are the same engine, Lumberyard is Cryengine under another name, but CIG maintain it is the Lumberyard version of the engine.

I use both, Amazon have made some cosmetic UI changes to Cryengine and built a custom plugin system around it, other than that, they are the same engine, its going to be difficult to tell them apart at a code level.

Jesus

Soldato
OP

Don't have to tell them apart just need to make sure the code:
1. only works fully in Lumberjard.
2. Has nothing specific only to Cryengine which isn't common between them, or hasn't been common between them moving from Cryengine.

To be honest if the Lumberyard licensing scheme is even vaguely good then CIG can argue they are covered under it anyway if they signed up to Lumberyard whilst it was still just Cryengine. How would Cryengine prove otherwise - and the onus is on proof here. Feels like a desperate negotiating tactic to be honest, let us dismiss or we'll do this.. if we win dismissal.

Soldato
When will that come?

If they were serious about the project, should have designed and developed the server years ago during the early steps. Now trying to retrofit everything and it will take time and cost money.

And "Server Meshing" is basically a catch phrase, for queues to access an area or at 1000 ships combat not all ships would be taking part and rendered etc.
Something that should have been expected when you have EVE Online rendering all participating ship on battles for almost 20 years now......

And the company says this is because there is no "budget" for this feature :D

https://youtu.be/K34-55ZV7hM?t=184

Soldato
I post on another forum and as you may imagine SC is a real marmite topic there too.

but there some interesting things which made me smile.
1) from kick starter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

specifically
Real quick, Star Citizen is:
  • A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
  • Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
  • Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
  • Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
  • No Subscriptions
  • No Pay to Win
the no pay to win makes me smile..... Truth is I would love that game above..... single player with drop in drop out coop play with friends is exactly the game i want to play, MMOs with forced PvP is not my bag.

but the other interesting one... As i understand it, private servers and modding etc are not longer going to be a thing. (please correct me if i am wrong, as private servers would make my day)

however if this is the case, then selling this is very naughty indeed.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Engineering-Manual-For-Modders-Digital

IF i am wrong and private servers and modding is still a thing please do let me know.

what ever happens i am at digital bounty hunter level for $60 so am long gonna lose sleep over what happens, but really the game I backed and the game i wanted had a much smaller and easily achievable scope.

(PS Rebel Galaxy outlaw is great and is scratching that itch for now in between elite dangerous and ETS2)

Last edited:
Soldato
The game that you backed barely resembles the final product that they are currently trying to make. Modding and private servers are out of the question at this point as they would seriously mess up CIG's monetization plans.

Caporegime
When will that come?

I don't know.

The point of last night was to test Server Side Object Container Streaming, In short parts of the game that are not occupied by players can be switched off or ignored by the server, so there is less load on the server, in theory not every part of the server has live players on it at any given time, so more people can occupy the server, however the more players you have on the server the more likely it is players will spread into all parts at once.

60 Player test last night 'to me' seemed successful, performance was good, the game was smooth, no crashes.....

Some players called for everyone to gather at Olisar, this really isn't the point of testing SSOCS but it was fun i guess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/em5104/port_olisars_diversity_when_60_players_have/

Soldato
The game that you backed barely resembles the final product that they are currently trying to make. Modding and private servers are out of the question at this point as they would seriously mess up CIG's monetization plans.

indeed..... which is why it is especially naughty that they are still selling a modding guide for use on private servers!.

Soldato
I post on another forum and as you may imagine SC is a real marmite topic there too.

but there some interesting things which made me smile.
1) from kick starter
(PS Rebel Galaxy outlaw is great and is scratching that itch for now in between elite dangerous and ETS2)

Not same game today. Also as the "single player" SQ42, the backers are the ones shafted the most.
Because is known the last 3 years that only the first 8 hours campaign is included on any package/pledge sold before 2016. The remaining 3 8-hour campaigns are classed as "different games" and need to be bought separately when they come out at their full price each of the average price other game have.

(so expect to cough £160+ to play SQ42 full campaign).

Soldato
Not same game today. Also as the "single player" SQ42, the backers are the ones shafted the most.
Because is known the last 3 years that only the first 8 hours campaign is included on any package/pledge sold before 2016. The remaining 3 8-hour campaigns are classed as "different games" and need to be bought separately when they come out at their full price each of the average price other game have.

Prolly £3.20 a year by the time all 4 come out :p

Soldato
OP

You go from talking about pre 2016 to present without explanation Panos.

Pre-2016 backers could have paid as little as $30 for SQ42 and SC depending on when they backed, possibly less if they'd got one of the annual special limited packages. Anyone backing back then had several years to get a refund if they wished, something CIG didn't legally have to do for those part of the kickstarter and early phase.

Squadron 42 chapter 1 is aimed to be around 20 hours, not 8 with approx 70 missions. Not sure where your 8 hours come from although tbh the numbers constantly change on various sources and I'll only trust it when it's actually out.

Back
Top Bottom