What film did you watch last night?

Associate
JoJo Rabbit - 7.5/10

Brilliant! I loved it. Typical Waititi humour, ranging from the subtle and sublime to overt farce but juxtaposed against human tragedy all portrayed from the viewpoint of a 10 year old boy. Some parts of Waititi's performance of Hitler were genius. I've heard the critics are split, giving it 1/5 or 5/5 and I can understand that, his humour isn't for everyone. So if you liked What we do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople then you'll like this too, if not, don't bother :p

It did have quite a Wes Anderson feel to it in the second half

He really does seem to have a thing about fat people/kids :p

"Now is definitely not a good time to be a Nazi" :D

Soldato
Jay and Silent Bob : Reboot - 7/10 (if you're a fan) - I'm a huge J&SB fan so I really enjoyed this film. Plenty of throwbacks, plenty of in-jokes etc and the last 2/3's was full of full of LOL moments for me, despite the first 1/3 not really working that well. However, if you're not already a fan then I think this movie is probably a little too meta for you and I can't see many "new" people enjoying it TBH.

Soldato
I don't understand giving a "Brilliant" film that you "loved" 7.5/10 though?

That's just below 'really good' territory, surely?

How good must your 10/10's be?

Seriously, 10/10 is perfection and no films are that. I tend to score very good films in the 7's and great films in the 8's with a select few in the 9's.

5 is smack bang in the middle, so average.

Soldato
I don't understand giving a "Brilliant" film that you "loved" 7.5/10 though?

That's just below 'really good' territory, surely?

How good must your 10/10's be?

Don't think I've ever scored a 10, as Ivan said that's perfect.

7.5 was on the low side I admit, but a few jokes/scenes fell a little flat for me personally, so I knocked it down half a point :p But overall it's still brilliant.

Associate
1917 (2020) - 6/10

It has great presentation values and it succeeds as a moving tribute to the men who fought in the Great War, but as a movie, it doesn’t really excel.

There are many things I liked about it, such as the tension at the start, the depiction of life in the trenches, the artistic way the horrors of war are presented, the fact you’re never quite sure what’s going on in the bigger picture and it really does emphasize the pointlessness of the whole concept of war.

However, the actual events that occur along the way feel too staged and don’t flow into each other very well, and everything just kind of happens with little fuss.

The acting and the music is good and the focus on the human side is more grounded because of the destruction, but I never felt the urgency, which is after all, the main plot.

Associate
1917 - 9/10

Absolutely outstanding, it's a rare thing to watch a film these days and wonder how the hell they made it.
Go see it on the big screen, home cinema won't do this justice!

Soldato
6 Underground - as many have said this is a noisy, flashy and messy film from Michael Bay. If you expect more you will be disappointed, if you watch it with low expectations, ignore the crazy body count and only use half a brain it is quite entertaining. 3/5

Man of Honour
Us (2019)

Really enjoyed this. Spooky in parts and rather funny, with a little bit of mystery too. That combo for me is always a winner. Not sure how rewatchable it is but I definitely enjoyed the journey.

7/10

Back
Top Bottom