Keyboard for gaming.....and typing!

Associate
Hey all,

Currently using a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which I've had for YEARS!

Looking to upgrade, and wondered if there was a keyboard good for typing as well as gaming? I do a lot of the latter, and don't just use this computer to game.

Budget is around 100-150, want something decent.

Cheers!

Associate
Take a look at Ducky’s range.

Well made, good quality keycaps (pbt doubleshot) with a clean aesthetic and stylish looks. The software is optional too and is with most keyboards, the lighting can be switched off if so desired.

best

Wulf

Man of Honour
Gaming I use a Ducky Shine 7 "year of the dog" and it's a great keyboard but for pure typing and working I use the Microsoft Modern with fingerprint and you will be hard pushed to find a nicer board to type on, it games ok as well.

Associate
Associate
OP
That’s a damn fine keyboard with quality construction. Spending more wouldn’t get you anything better in terms of quality. Perhaps only worth spending more if you need a full size keyboard versus tenkeyless.

best

Wulf

That's something I noticed after.

I'll probably get a full keyboard version, just because that's what I'm used to!

Thanks again :)

Associate
I would recommend a Fnatic Ministreak (TKL) or Streak (Full Size) The build quality of the keyboard is very good, nice aluminum finish (feels more premium than the corsair offerings imo) they come in cherry silent red and brown switches, could do with some PBT keycaps though, they're standard layout so any set should fit.

Associate
I personally use K70 rapidfire, the actuation is pretty light, so you don't have to use much force to type, it's like gliding your hands on top of the keyboard, almost effortless.

Some people don't like it because the keys are too easy to press meaning sometimes you may press a key you don't want to, but for me it's perfect. So if you're looking for something similar, then I highly recommend it.

I'm not really into the whole RGB stuff, so I can't really comment on that, but the backlight is pretty clear to night time typing (I just have it on default red setting) though you can change the colour to whatever you want through Corsair's software (which I haven't installed).

Caporegime
Hey all,

Currently using a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which I've had for YEARS!

Looking to upgrade, and wondered if there was a keyboard good for typing as well as gaming? I do a lot of the latter, and don't just use this computer to game.

Budget is around 100-150, want something decent.

Cheers!

Mechanical keyboard IMO are gimmicky.

I've never had an issue with membrane. I use membrane at work as office supplies us with them and I've never missed a keystroke.

They are also loud and I mean LOUD.

I have 2 mechanical keyboards at home I bought a budget chinese one brand new and a decent one second hand for cheap.

No real difference between them. I believe the switches alone on the decent one are worth like £50+.

I'd say just buy a cheap mechanical no need to spend £150.

Associate
OP
Mechanical keyboard IMO are gimmicky.

I've never had an issue with membrane. I use membrane at work as office supplies us with them and I've never missed a keystroke.

They are also loud and I mean LOUD.

I have 2 mechanical keyboards at home I bought a budget chinese one brand new and a decent one second hand for cheap.

No real difference between them. I believe the switches alone on the decent one are worth like £50+.

I'd say just buy a cheap mechanical no need to spend £150.

Is there anything good for gaming/typing that is also quiet? :)

Caporegime

Nope my mechanical has the cherry MX reds which are supposed to be one of the quietest and they are very loud so I'd hate to see what normal ones are like.

My cheap Chinese also has clones of the reds and they sound the same.

Apparently they now have silent versions but I would take that with a pinch of salt.

I don't understand why mechanical are so popular everyone raves about them. They are imo worse than membrane.

I don't have a membrane in the house anymore apart from a mini one for console and TV use. I use mechanical and decent ones too as they are reds but I would honestly save the cash if I could go back and just buy a normal keyboard.

Stick gaming onto a bottle of water and I bet you people would pay £101 for it vs a £1 bottle of water.

If my keyboard broke tomorrow I have a backup but if I didn't I'd probably spend £50 max on a replacement.

Get the below if you want a mechanical they are all loud so I wouldn't care what switches it uses.

Otherwise spend £20 on a normal keyboard which will be silent.

Logitech G512 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Special Edition,RGB Lightsync Backlit Keys,GX Blue Clicky Key Switches,Brushed Aluminum Case,Customizable F-Keys,USB Pass Through,QWERTY UK Layout - Black

The above is circa £55

Man of Honour

Nope my mechanical has the cherry MX reds which are supposed to be one of the quietest and they are very loud so I'd hate to see what normal ones are like.

My cheap Chinese also has clones of the reds and they sound the same.

Apparently they now have silent versions but I would take that with a pinch of salt.

I don't understand why mechanical are so popular everyone raves about them. They are imo worse than membrane.

I don't have a membrane in the house anymore apart from a mini one for console and TV use. I use mechanical and decent ones too as they are reds but I would honestly save the cash if I could go back and just buy a normal keyboard.

Stick gaming onto a bottle of water and I bet you people would pay £101 for it vs a £1 bottle of water.

If my keyboard broke tomorrow I have a backup but if I didn't I'd probably spend £50 max on a replacement.

Get the below if you want a mechanical they are all loud so I wouldn't care what switches it uses.

Otherwise spend £20 on a normal keyboard which will be silent.

Logitech G512 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Special Edition,RGB Lightsync Backlit Keys,GX Blue Clicky Key Switches,Brushed Aluminum Case,Customizable F-Keys,USB Pass Through,QWERTY UK Layout - Black

The above is circa £55

I disagree with what Sonny is saying in terms of good performing keyboards, switch feel and noise between the different switches (or if you have o-rings installed to reduce the clickyness) etc but imo there are some really nice non mech keyboards that are silent in operation and perform beautifully for both typing and gaming. I went through a lot of keyboards and I have now settled on what I think is one of the best mech keyboards and the best non mech which imo is the Microsoft Modern as seen in the image below. It is a chicklet style membrane board but built with a really nice key feel and exceptional quality while being completely silent in operation, it also has a fingerprint reader that supports windows hello:

Man of Honour
With wanting to try something new and mechnical for once I was reading that brown switches might be best for a combo of typing and gaming?

In which case is there better than this for the price?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...ical-gaming-keyboard-uk-layout-kb-231-dk.html

I mean that doesn't look bad at all. It will be a decent keyboard for sure. The only thing really to consider at that price point is the looks and they are subjective. I think id hit the go button and that and see how you like it. FWIW my mech has blue switches and they are very clicky. Much better with an o-ring but still clicky.

Associate
OP
I mean that doesn't look bad at all. It will be a decent keyboard for sure. The only thing really to consider at that price point is the looks and they are subjective. I think id hit the go button and that and see how you like it. FWIW my mech has blue switches and they are very clicky. Much better with an o-ring but still clicky.

Are you mentioning the blue switches because my thoughts that brown is probably better than me is correct? Or have I missed something? :)

It's probably between this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...ical-gaming-keyboard-uk-layout-kb-231-dk.html

Fnatic Streak

Or Corsair K70 RGB MK.2

All around the same price unless there's another keyboard I'm missing

Man of Honour
Are you mentioning the blue switches because my thoughts that brown is probably better than me is correct? Or have I missed something? :)

It's probably between this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...ical-gaming-keyboard-uk-layout-kb-231-dk.html

Fnatic Streak

Or Corsair K70

All around the same price unless there's another keyboard I'm missing

I just mentioned them to let you know blue are pretty loud, brown and silent reds would be much less clicky imo. Either way there are ways to reduce noise should it be a bit loud for you.

Associate
OP
I just mentioned them to let you know blue are pretty loud, brown and silent reds would be much less clicky imo. Either way there are ways to reduce noise should it be a bit loud for you.

Okay thanks!

Will do some reading on the Corsair and Ducky and then get one purchased!

Back
Top Bottom