2700(non x) to 3700x. New motherboard?

Soldato
Hello all I am looking to upgrade my 2700 to a 3700x in the next few weeks. I currently have it running at 4ghz all core on a Gigabyte B450M DS3H.

I was looking to make the jump to an x570 motherboard too but wonder if it is really worth doing for the cost? I know at least an x570 would have better VRM but both chips are 65W and I have no troubles at the moment.

I am looking for someone to convince me to buy the x570 as I am doubting the need for it right now.

Soldato
You don't need it, you may want it but you don't need it.. If you don't need any of the new features, PCIE4/wifi6/etc, then you'll be fine to use the existing board.

Please upgrade to the latest bios before you physically change the CPU so that the new CPU is properly supported.

Soldato
OP
You don't need it, you may want it but you don't need it.. If you don't need any of the new features, PCIE4/wifi6/etc, then you'll be fine to use the existing board.

Please upgrade to the latest bios before you physically change the CPU so that the new CPU is properly supported.
I have updated it recently so should be ok. I am not parting with the 2700 in any case so could always swap them over quickly.

The 2700 will likely be paired with an a320 and take over my i5 3470s in my plex/file server.

Looks like I shall stay with the b450 and save a fair bit of cash! Might be able to step up the gpu too now!

Associate
I certainly wouldn't bother for an equal TDP CPU & not needing any of the features of x570.
TBH, although I had a well know weak-vrm board (Asus Prime x370 Pro), it still got a bios to support all the way up to the 3950x.
I upgraded to a strong-vrm board (Asus Prime x570-P) but I think it would have worked with my old board, perhaps hitting lower clocks though.
But that's for a 16-core, I think you should stick with what you have.

Soldato
zero need to be honest. i'm running a 3700x on an x370 board (albeit relatively high-ish end x370) without any major issues - at least none that i've spotted. as you've alluded to you'd be better putting the money saved on a motherboard towards a new gpu (depending on what you're currently running)

Back
Top Bottom