****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Man of Honour
I was not going to bother with a Turkey this Christmas but then I went to watch The Rise of Skywalker.

I hope Disney never make another Star Wars film but unfortunately because of the money involved it will be like the buses, another three will be along shortly.:(

Soldato
Just as junk.

While that scene is still visually stunning (literal Ooo's and Ahh's when I first saw it) and this version gives Akbar a much better send-off than the original cut, ultimately it's still a horrifically bad idea which should never had left the "discussion" phase before people involved said "Thats just ****ing stupid Rian!" and stopped him from doing it.

Soldato
Where do you get this nonsense from? Disney made back the $4bn after Solo, and that's not including all the franchising, theme parks and home ent products which are probably more than the global box office anyway; https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/six...sfilm-disney-has-recouped-its-investment.html
That's a very kind article. It doesn't cover the full detail and instead just says tickets = profit. Try reading this article for a bit more detailed analysis. https://practicaleconomics.org/disney-star-wars-the-finances/ I'm not saying it's accurate but I don't think things are as rosy at Disney as they'd like us to believe. I guess more info will come out when the financial reports are issued. Don't forget that Galaxy's Edge reportedly cost $1B to build and it's lack of success has been well reported.

Caporegime
Try reading this article for a bit more detailed analysis. https://practicaleconomics.org/disney-star-wars-the-finances/ I'm not saying it's accurate but I don't think things are as rosy at Disney as they'd like us to believe.

This analysis is complete nonsense. It's complete nonsense because it assigns a value of $0 to LucasFilms. Disney don't need to "recoup" the $4bn spent on LucasFilms because they acquired an asset worth $4bn when they purchased it.

Soldato
This analysis is complete nonsense. It's complete nonsense because it assigns a value of $0 to LucasFilms. Disney don't need to "recoup" the $4bn spent on LucasFilms because they acquired an asset worth $4bn when they purchased it.

I said that one page back. You also don’t build a new section of Disney park with a lifespan of a couple of decades and expect to get the money back within a few months of opening.

Soldato
That's a very kind article. It doesn't cover the full detail and instead just says tickets = profit. Try reading this article for a bit more detailed analysis. https://practicaleconomics.org/disney-star-wars-the-finances/ I'm not saying it's accurate but I don't think things are as rosy at Disney as they'd like us to believe. I guess more info will come out when the financial reports are issued. Don't forget that Galaxy's Edge reportedly cost $1B to build and it's lack of success has been well reported.
I'm not going to get into the economics of it because Hollywood accounting is well known for being particularly confusing and misleading. Plus I know nothing about it. However, I work at one of Disney's main competitors and trust me, besides the critical/creative arguments regarding SWs, and staff upheaval with regards to the Fox takeover - as far as making money goes - it is very rosy. You can argue that Solo lost X amount of TLJ 'only made X amount' but at the end of the day as a business with their hands in many, many pots (re. franchises), they are absolutely fine. If I go to trade shows there are two recurring gossip points... 1 is Netflix and 2, is how much money Disney are making.

Soldato
I finally saw Rise of Skywalker last night and I came away unimpressed. I didn't think it was dreadful, but it certainly wasn't great either. There was a father and son sitting next to me who were laughing their heads off during some bits of the film that obviously weren't supposed to be funny and I can kind of see why they were. The fan service went way too far and it ended up making bits that should have had an impact feel really cheesy.

Palpatine was ridiculous. In the original trilogy he came across as menacing, in this he almost came across as a parody of himself, I really wish they hadn't bothered with him. I think it would have been better if they'd fleshed out Snoke a bit more in the previous film, not killed him off, not had him turn out to be a creation of Palpatines, and then used him as the main villain in this one. I also thought the reveal of Rey being a Palpatine was somewhat stupid, they should have stuck to the more predictable thing of making her a Skywalker (either by making her Ren's sister or Luke's daughter), particularly seeing as she adopts the Skywalker surname at the end of the film anyway.

A couple of other things bothered me. I thought the final space battle was pretty anticlimactic; the Knights of Ren were rubbish and were really wasted by the trilogy when they could have been something quite cool; they really overused the force healing thing to the point where it became comical and the Romeo and Juliet-esque ending between Ben and Rey was ridiculous; it doesn't really make sense that Luke would help to train Rey when he knew she was a Palpatine, having previously failed to prevent Ben from turning to the dark side; they never cleared up what it was Finn wanted to tell Rey (presumably that he is force sensitive); Luke's x-wing is apparently fine despite it being submerged underwater for decades and Luke having previously said in TLJ that he had put the ship there so that he wouldn't be able to leave Ahch-To, etc

Basically it feels like Abrams is trying to correct some of the things he and the Star Wars fandom didn't like in TLJ, but in doing so he's made a trilogy that has some pretty big plot holes, or at the very least flawed logic from several characters, that don't make sense. When you consider the high point that was the original trilogy it's shocking how badly the prequels and sequels have dropped the ball.

Caporegime
The flimsy reason not to do the "Holdo maneuver" was also pretty laughable, that it was a 1 in a million shot. Hmm, put smaller ship in front of larger ship and go to hyperspeed, how mind numbingly hard.:rolleyes: They could have at least said something about it taking too long to disable safety protocols on the hyperdrive or something like that, would make sense there would be some sort of anti collision program for hyperspeed.

Soldato
The flimsy reason not to do the "Holdo maneuver" was also pretty laughable, that it was a 1 in a million shot. Hmm, put smaller ship in front of larger ship and go to hyperspeed, how mind numbingly hard.:rolleyes: They could have at least said something about it taking too long to disable safety protocols on the hyperdrive or something like that, would make sense there would be some sort of anti collision program for hyperspeed.
Then you could argue you could set up kamikaze ships before your assault and it comes back to why isn't everyone doing it again. JJ's reason was **** too but the fact he had to somehow fix it in the first place is is worse.

Caporegime
Then you could argue you could set up kamikaze ships before your assault and it comes back to why isn't everyone doing it again. JJ's reason was **** too but the fact he had to somehow fix it in the first place is is worse.

You could do but their attack was hastily arranged so at least in that sense it makes sense that there was no time to do it for the ships. It's at least a better explanation than saying "it was a 1 in a million shot" which it clearly wasn't.

Soldato
You could do but their attack was hastily arranged so at least in that sense it makes sense that there was no time to do it for the ships. It's at least a better explanation than saying "it was a 1 in a million shot" which it clearly wasn't.

I think the worst part was, if that had ever worked at all everyone would just be slapping warp drives to asteroids.

Why even build a Death Star or similar in that case? Even if it WAS difficult to land a shot, hitting a planet wouldn't be difficult given their orbits are easily predicted by regular humans on planet earth, let alone civilizations with technology at that level. You'd just find a big enough rock floating about and fit it with a warp drive.

Added advantage of stealth, in fact everyone would be doing it. Why risk lives attacking the 'show of strength' that was the original Death Star with fighter craft? You could have just warped a big rock into it while it traveled through whichever solar system you baited it toward.

Caporegime
I think the worst part was, if that had ever worked at all everyone would just be slapping warp drives to asteroids.

Why even build a Death Star or similar in that case? Even if it WAS difficult to land a shot, hitting a planet wouldn't be difficult given their orbits are easily predicted by us, let alone civilizations with technology at that level. You'd just find a big enough rock floating about and fit it with a warp drive.

That's what happens when a literal nobody like Rian Johnson somehow gets to direct a movie that's looking to rake in a billion plus.

Soldato
In the events of TLJ sure, but any Star Wars media past and present would have to answer the question "Why didn't they just fire a hyperdrive ship into it" or "Why didn't they have a kamikaze ship setup ready to holdo it" if they went with something like you suggested. JJ's reason is dumb AF but it at least it retcons it into oblivion.

Soldato
That's what happens when a literal nobody like Rian Johnson somehow gets to direct a movie that's looking to rake in a billion plus.

I actually enjoyed Looper, seems like a fluke on his behalf though. I've yet to see anything else by him that hasn't either bored me to tears or been utter crap.

Soldato
I actually enjoyed Looper, seems like a fluke on his behalf though. I've yet to see anything else by him that hasn't either bored me to tears or been utter crap.
He's fine as a director, he directed a number of highly rated Breaking Bad episodes, but as a writer he's shaky at best and shouldn't be given free reign with an established franchise.

Soldato
Did I miss something at the end of the last one. I know in the trailer for ep9 that Palpatine could be heard but in the start to ep9 it says there is a broadcast of his voice.
This seem like a huge leap to me of story and confusion..
Infact the whole first 30mins felt like I was 3/4 the way into the film and had missed loads. It was moving through the story at a million miles per second. Maybe to sort out the whole mess of the 2nd film as soon as possible. Threw me right off from the start

What the hell was with all the letter box lighting on people eyes to make them look evil. Who the **** was in charge of this crap. Flare everywhere.

Whilst this film is no where near as bad as the ep 8. It felt like I was watching it on speed. The pacing was ridiculous. I couldn't keep up with the youths exubarant adhd version of Star wars.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did I miss something at the end of the last one. I know in the trailer for ep9 that Palpatine could be heard but in the start to ep9 it says there is a broadcast of his voice.
This seem like a huge leap to me of story and confusion..

Yeah he done a podcast saying he was back (before his fleet had the daunting task of trying to figure out what way was up). So he should have waited until they had figured out that mind bending task.

Back
Top Bottom