• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel i9-9900k vs i9-9900ks

Associate
could anyone tell me the difference between these 2 other then base clock speed and why there is a £100 difference between them on OCUK's website? thanks in advance

Soldato
could anyone tell me the difference between these 2 other then base clock speed and why there is a £100 difference between them on OCUK's website? thanks in advance

As others said, one has higher clocks. However if you plan to upgrade today and you have to buy new motherboard, dont as this CPU is on dead platform.

Also there is a 9900KF CPU with the IGP disabled.

Associate
OP
As others said, one has higher clocks. However if you plan to upgrade today and you have to buy new motherboard, dont as this CPU is on dead platform.

Also there is a 9900KF CPU with the IGP disabled.

As far as i know i dont need a new mobo, just wanted a new CPU since the one i have now is doodoo, and what do you mean by this cpu is a dead platform?

Also would the kf be a better option then the k or ks?

Soldato
As far as i know i dont need a new mobo, just wanted a new CPU since the one i have now is doodoo, and what do you mean by this cpu is a dead platform?

Also would the kf be a better option then the k or ks?

No the KF isn't better option and by dead platform I mean dead platform. No upgrade path or different generation of CPUs.

Socket 1200 should have been out since November but is delayed. (which again is 1 generation platform as the 10nm CPUs need new socket).
Which means also the 9900K and 9900KS prices will drop like rocks especially in second hand market.

If you tell us what you have atm, might be able to help you better. Probably worth to sell what you have and get a 3700X or 3800X including motherboard, for less money than the 9900K on it's own, let alone the 9900KS.

Associate
OP
No the KF isn't better option and by dead platform I mean dead platform. No upgrade path or different generation of CPUs.

Socket 1200 should have been out since November but is delayed. (which again is 1 generation platform as the 10nm CPUs need new socket).
Which means also the 9900K and 9900KS prices will drop like rocks especially in second hand market.

If you tell us what you have atm, might be able to help you better. Probably worth to sell what you have and get a 3700X or 3800X including motherboard, for less money than the 9900K on it's own, let alone the 9900KS.

Oh damn, might be worth waiting for the next gen to come out then i guess, as for specs i have i3-8350k (hence the want to upgrade), 1080, h80i cooler, gigabyte Z370P D3-1 mobo, CS650M psu, anything else you would like to know?

Soldato
Oh damn, might be worth waiting for the next gen to come out then i guess, as for specs i have i3-8350k (hence the want to upgrade), 1080, h80i cooler, gigabyte Z370P D3-1 mobo, CS650M psu, anything else you would like to know?

OK This board has sht VRM which isn't even cooled, leading to overheating. Putting something like a 9900K or 9900KS going to restrict them massively. Even 9600K has trouble clocking properly with this board.
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/c0m0om/im_ocing_a_9600k_on_a_gigabyte_z370p_d3_and_i/

Also CS650M isn't much for GTX1080 & 9900K either. It was mediocre PSU back in 2013 when game out and was outclasses by all it's competitors.
It just bit better than the CX model.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1087289-pc-feels-sluggish-and-stuttery/

As for the H80, if is v1 and not v2, do you still have the AM3 brackets?

Associate
OP
OK This board has sht VRM which isn't even cooled, leading to overheating. Putting something like a 9900K or 9900KS going to restrict them massively. Even 9600K has trouble clocking properly with this board.
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/c0m0om/im_ocing_a_9600k_on_a_gigabyte_z370p_d3_and_i/

Also CS650M isn't much for GTX1080 & 9900K either. It was mediocre PSU back in 2013 when game out and was outclasses by all it's competitors.

ok good to know, so your telling me that i would be better off pretty much buying a whole new PC? and im not sure about what v it is, and nor do i know if i still have the brackets, what would you recommend to me as an alternative?

TJM

TJM

Associate
ok good to know, so your telling me that i would be better off pretty much buying a whole new PC? and im not sure about what v it is, and nor do i know if i still have the brackets, what would you recommend to me as an alternative?
What are you using your PC to do and is it struggling?

Soldato

I am not telling you buy a new PC. But you plan to splash £500-600 on a CPU that everything else you have would struggle to support, like the PSU and the motherboard which doesn't have VRM cooling. By all means go buy the 9900K if you want to do that, or consider a 9700K or 9600K.

Just pointing that you could experience issues, while you can sell what you got (motherboard & CPU) and for much less (£360-380) you get a B450 Tomahawk MAX and a 3700X.

Soldato
OK This board has sht VRM which isn't even cooled

Tend to agree with above, but will add the following.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, that if anything appears to have a better VRM design then the OP's Gigabyte.

I'm running an undervolted (-0.080v offset) i7 8700 (non K), and even with a Siverstone FT-02 with the 3 x 180mm fans working according to VRM temps, i'm seeing close to 80c from the VRM sensor under load! Admittedly those 3 x 180mm bottom fans are a distance away from the VRM section, but running them 100% once VRM's reached 80c was only way to keep VRM temps in check.

So I would not even run a standard i9 (non k), let alone a K or Ks version, Gigabyte might support it with a BIOS update, but it's not practical due to VRM design.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tend to agree with above, but will add the following.

I have a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, that if anything appears to have a better VRM design then the OP's Gigabyte.

I'm running an undervolted (-0.080v offset) i7 8700 (non K), and even with a Siverstone FT-02 with the 3 x 180mm fans working according to VRM temps, i'm seeing close to 80c from the VRM sensor under load! Admittedly those 3 x 180mm bottom fans are a distance away from the VRM section, but running them 100% once VRM's reached 80c was only way to keep VRM temps in check.

So I would not even run a standard i9 (non k), let alone a K or Ks version, Gigabyte might support it with a BIOS update, but it's not practical due to VRM design.

I had a Z370I Strix, which has better vrm cooling than those two boards. However had to use monoblock if wanted to push the 8600K at higher than 4.7Ghz. Otherwise the VRM was 90C, even with a fan blowing air on it.

Soldato
I had a Z370I Strix, which has better vrm cooling than those two boards. However had to use monoblock if wanted to push the 8600K at higher than 4.7Ghz. Otherwise the VRM was 90C, even with a fan blowing air on it.

I am aware i'm hijacking the OP's thread a little, is there anyway that can help cooling without going to length of adding the monoblock?

I'm presuming the stock heatsink is connected in some way, can you fit better thermal pads, can you even use CPU thermal paste for better heat transfer, i've never actually removed a VRM heat sink.

Soldato
I am aware i'm hijacking the OP's thread a little, is there anyway that can help cooling without going to length of adding the monoblock?

I'm presuming the stock heatsink is connected in some way, can you fit better thermal pads, can you even use CPU thermal paste for better heat transfer, i've never actually removed a VRM heat sink.

Thermal pads are better for VRMs. In addition can change the heatsinks with some found on ebay. Ofc if they cannot be fitted on existing mounting positions, adhesive thermal pads are an option.

Associate
intel binned better chips as 9900ks. 9900k will very likely not overclock as well and/or run hotter

I'm beginning to think this is a massive myth, and people are just starting to post what others have on here.

I missed out on a 3950x, so purchased a 9900k instead. Paired with an Aorus Z390 Pro wifi, it idles at 26 degrees. In game, it's max 55 degrees and that's also utilising streamlabs to stream and record.

Cinebench R20 (multicore), it's 65 degrees

Soldato
9900KS is guaranteed to be the newer R0 stepping. R0 versions of the K and KF are starting to appear but can be harder to find.

Soldato

Pretty much this ^ (if running overclocked components)

To answer your direct query, out of the 3 CPU's you mentioned; 9900K, 9900KS and 9900KF, the best one for you is the 9900KF as it has the best chance of running in your system without issues and is also the cheapest. Hopefully you are not even considering overclocking in which case it should be fine as I've put a 9900K in a very similar Z370 system and it worked perfectly fine at stock. (just make sure to update to the latest F15a motherboard bios while the old CPU is in)

There will be a massive jump in performance from your current CPU to a stock 9900KF.

Though, as others have intimated, you may want to also weigh up the cost and time/hassle involved in changing platform as it would probably prove more beneficial to you in the medium to long term.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm beginning to think this is a massive myth, and people are just starting to post what others have on here.

I missed out on a 3950x, so purchased a 9900k instead. Paired with an Aorus Z390 Pro wifi, it idles at 26 degrees. In game, it's max 55 degrees and that's also utilising streamlabs to stream and record.

Cinebench R20 (multicore), it's 65 degrees

9900k and ks is pretty hot chips. There is something you do not tell about your cooling. Only temps what are too low for overclocked cpu like 5Ghz or more for all cores.

Cinebebch R20 gives 100% load for a cpu, all cores at short time when rendering the picture. It means more heat and higher temps at cpu when hitting all cores 100% workload. Custom loop could so less temps obvious.

Main question is. What radiators you are using, cpu block and so on? Those will make a big difference at cooling to keep so low temps for a cpu?

What kind of custom loop watercooling you are using?

You just can’t tell to hit 5Ghz at all cores with aircooling and so low temps. But you haven’t state cooling at all. Only temps. Nor you haven’t state is it overclocked or not.

Of course you can hit 9900k to a 5Ghz at one core out of a package and pretty sure 5Ghz to all cores when doing it with custom loop. Still 9900ks is binned so it can hit 5Ghz for all cores even you do not know so much oc or cooling. Only what matters that your cooling is efficient enough.

Back
Top Bottom