Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Soldato
this is following on from the grmn ? ...
used examples for £20K, I see, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001055818181 mechanical lsd,
not sure if the suspension is rejigged/independant, but the seats look better, two crtiques of yaris I've driven.

And then some. The GR has been redesigned from the ground up with a bespoke bodyshell (different panels, CF roof section, aluminium used extensively) and suspension geometry – and the engine and drivetrain is completely different; 4cyl supercharged vs. 3cyl turbo in the GR and FWD for the GRMN, AWD for the GR. Optional front and rear Torsen LSDs for the GR. :)

Essentially it’ll be just a modern pulsar Gti-r. Specs are quite similar it’ll be more reliable but I think I’d just save the money and keep me pulsar.

For those who don't have one, a really nice one can easily cost over £20k these days – and you've still got to deal with all the associated drawbacks and limitations. Swings and roundabouts. Plenty of second-hand kit around for similar money. If that's what you want, fine, etc. :)

Soldato
Price will make or break this car, and given the work that went into it, it'll probably be the latter unless they are willing to take a big hit on some subsidised lease deals.

Personally I'd love one, but I am not in a position to buy a new car.
Yen to £ apparently comes out to £27k or so from what I read earlier. I reckon will be priced higher than that. There's a lot of hand building involved in building the car and even the roofline is lower than what the standard yaris will be. Aluminium bonnet and doors and rear hatch I think + carbon fibre roof. While it won't be cheap but could hold it's value well, even become a future collectible if built in low numbers

Caporegime
Like many cars, four wheel drive just ruins the weight of it, so i'm not surprised it's a bit lardy. But short wheelbase, 200hp-per-tonne, it would be bags of fun. That manual is suppose to be really nice too.

Looks like you have to pay extra for the Torsen LSD, as part of the "Circuit Pack".

Lardy it is around 400 Kilo lighter than a focus RS. That's a huge amount. Most front wheel drive hot hatches do not even weigh less than the Yaris.

It needs a big wing though. Will finish it off nicely.

It does seem a bit strange though as Toyota had no need to make this as homologation doesn't exist now and they have gone pretty hardcore with it as most of it is bespoke. Especially as the new Supra is essentially a Z4 in a dress!?

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Lardy it is around 400 Kilo lighter than a focus RS. That's a huge amount. Most front wheel drive hot hatches do not even weigh less than the Yaris.

It needs a big wing though. Will finish it off nicely.

It does seem a bit strange though as Toyota had no need to make this as homologation doesn't exist now and they have gone pretty hardcore with it as most of it is bespoke. Especially as the new Supra is essentially a Z4 in a dress!?

Who knows, lets just be glad cars like this are still made from time to time. :)

Soldato
Yen to £ apparently comes out to £27k or so from what I read earlier. I reckon will be priced higher than that. There's a lot of hand building involved in building the car and even the roofline is lower than what the standard yaris will be. Aluminium bonnet and doors and rear hatch I think + carbon fibre roof. While it won't be cheap but could hold it's value well, even become a future collectible if built in low numbers

Yeah, all that plus a 4WD system for a smallish production run car makes me think it's likely to be priced closer to £40k than £30k. The biggest issue will be if it's priced alongside the likes of the Golf R, Audi S3, BMW M135i, AMG A35 and Focus RS will anyone walk past all of them to buy a Toyota Yaris instead......

I'm still glad Toyota are mental enough to make a 4WD 275bhp Yaris :cool:

Actually, regarding the power output, am I the only one wondering how reliable a little 1.6 3-pot engine will be with than many ponies going though it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, all that plus a 4WD system for a smallish production run car makes me think it's likely to be priced closer to £40k than £30k. The biggest issue will be if it's priced alongside the likes of the Golf R, Audi S3, BMW M135i, AMG A35 and Focus RS will anyone walk past all of them to buy a Toyota Yaris instead......

Actually, regarding the power output, am I the only one wondering how reliable a little 1.6 3-pot engine will be with than many ponies going though it?

257bhp.

It’s amazing, on paper at least. Can’t wait to see the reviews tbh, I have no doubt it’ll get a good response.

Soldato

Cooling has been an issue on 3 cylinder engines. There probably won't be much overhead for tuning it :/

It would have been nicer with a 6cyl even it would add some weight :D

Caporegime

Nissan unveiled a 400hp 1.5 liter 3 cylinder turbo motor 5 years ago so I would have thought this Toyota unit would be pretty good. Engine management has come on so much since the old rally rep days where throwing fuel at the problem was the only way to keep them cool!

Soldato
they're meant to be the hearing mans replacement for a 6 - no ? - at least the bmw ones, if you listen on utube

edit: ok it was the merc
the new CLA estate, looks more practical (get a bike in the back) and, like the BMW 3 cylinder engines, the 164bhp sounds like the lamented 6 cyclinder NA's -
(saloon https://youtu.be/j5ZVhLNG9X4?t=451 ) sunroof looks obligatory for light inside

Associate
Quite a few MK8 Fiesta ST's running 260bhp on owners forums and hasn't appeared to be any issues. Still early days I guess but hope reliability isn't an issue as it does sound like an awesome package all in.

Soldato
The 4cyl in the mk7 Fiesta ST could handle bigger tunes from what I've seen. There are people running well over 300hp in those.

Soldato
can pretty much see how this will go

people will fawn over the fact its a lightweight 3door hatch with 4wd big power and a quirky little 3 pot. it will get rave reviews from everyone and everyone will say how great a car it is and how brave toyota are for launching it........ then lease a golf

Soldato
It doesn't, they dropped it in the 90s which is why performance cars kinda got a bit soppy and less mental. It's a publicity stunt :)

Back
Top Bottom