Meal prepping for work

Soldato
Hi all,

Do any of you meal prep for the week in advance?
Myself & other half both spend a small fortune on lunches every day, would be nice to meal prep and a) save cash b) eat more healthily

We have a spare freezer, we have Tupperware lunch boxes in abundance, I am just lacking in creativity

What lunch meals are quick, tasty and freeze/keep well? Would be nice to have a selection to take out of the freezer the night before rather than eat the same thing for 5 days straight.

Soldato
I always roast a chicken on Sunday. Partly for three meals each for me and the cat, but also for the stock from the picked carcass which is usually enough to make six portions of soup. Every bit of the chicken that isn't eaten goes into a pan (break it down into smallest bits possible, even the main bit) with chopped carrots, onion, celery, garlic (I leave the skin on so the flavour doesn't dominate), some black peppercorns, a couple of chicken stock cubes, and two fresh bay leaves. Bring it to the boil and simmer for 1h 30m to 2h. Sieve the juice off and press down the solids with a wooden spoon to be sure you have all the juice out. I try to split it evenly into two jugs so I can make two different soups. The stock itself will freeze for later soupmaking, or it is good for three days under clingfilm in the fridge. Because the broth is so good, very often it's not necessary to fry onions and garlic as part of the soupmaking process. The stock gives sous such a good depth of flavour.

The easiest ones are root veg and squashes. Peel and chop the veg - my faves at the moment are celeriac or (edit: not together) red kabocha squash (orange with whiteish vertical lines) but all squashes soup well as do parsnips, carrot and turnip, beetroot, etc. Cook the chopped stuff directly in the stock (be sure not to remove any fat that settled to the top, this is flavour central and we'll emulsify it in later). I like to add a teaspoon of Swiss Vegan Bouillon Powder and some black pepper. When you stick a fork in and they are soft, get your stick or trad liquidizer and blitz until most of the veg is smushed. Add a generous knob of butter and blitz on high for another minute (this helps the stock fat to be incorporated too). Taste, adjust seasoning if required, then divvy up into three tupperwares, cool and freeze. If you start to get bored of the same soups, you can add smoked paprika, ginger, any curry spices or chilli to give it a twist.

Leek and potato is the same but without blitzing. I use white pepper instead of black. And I stir in lots of fresh parsley after it has cooled before it is frozzed. You can also use pulses like yellow split peas or red lentils, all the flavourings above apply here. Ham and marrowfat dried peas is great with chicken stock. It's a bit faffy cos you have to soak them with bicarb overnight. Worth it, though. Some veg don't blend in very well (cauliflower - which I'm currently trying to perfect) so I add in some peeled potato to 'carry' the less blendable veg. Cut the potatoes really small so they cook as quickly as the cauli. Blitz a bit longer. If in doubt, use more butter :)

Another soup that uses potato unexpectedly is tomato. Instead of cream, I use potato to thicken. Get a bunch of basil and pick the leaves off the stems. Chop the stems but leave the, err, leaves. Add lots of chopped fresh toms (seeds, skin, and all - different varieties if possible), black pepper, basil stems, salt, and some peeled spuds to the chicken stock and simmer for forty or more mins after the spuds are cooked with lots of stirring and squishing to get the flavour out of the toms. If the toms were on the vine, chuck the vine and green attachy top bits in for flavour. Sieve the soup and press the solids again so we don't waste any and some potato gets through to thicken. If too thin, add some tom puree, add more potato back in from the sieve and reduce over heat. Decant into tupperware, let it cool, stir in the freshly chopped basil leaves at the last minute and freeze.

I did mushroom for the first time this week, I'm still perfecting it. It tasted great but the texture wouldn't be to everyone's taste. I boiled the stock and let some dried mixed mushrooms stand in it (covered) for twenty mins. Meantime I chopped lots of button and chestnut mushrooms quite small, had two or three tablespoons of water in a pan, added the mushromms, put a lid on and cooked slowly on medium low heat. The steam collapses the mushroom pieces and they release their juice. I also fried a few of each type in butter, then added some fresh thyme. I then added the steamed mushroids and the juice. I separated the rehydrated ones from the stock (press out juice!!!) and added the stock to the rest. Then I chopped the rehydrated ones and added them. Blitz quite hard (rehydrated ones can be tough), add lots of creme fraiche (I used light) and blitz again. Cool, add parsley at last minute and freeze.

I want to try a minestrone, nettles (!!!), and sweetcorn (which has to go with chicken). Bake your own wholemeal or granary bread buns (which also freeze) to make a tasty and nutritious lunch.

TLDR: soup

Last edited:
Soldato
I started doing this a couple of months back after the food options in the new office were limited and nt filling enough. I freeze a variety of sauces to have with rice, cous-cous or pasta (which I cook the night before). Also roast dinners freeze OK (don't look the best but are very tasty).

Associate
I used to, but I fell into a trap and I end up just eating a sandwich, or parbaked baguette, but I do make a fresh smoothie for breakfast.
I am going to start meal prep and eating better though.

Associate
So many options, but the three I make regularly are:
  • Chilli con carne
  • Pasta pesto
  • Sweet potato soup
I'll vary that up with a quick salad across the week too. If you enjoy soup, grab yourself a decent soup cookbook - or even one of the cheap Covent Garden Soup Company minibooks. Or perhaps follow the TasteAtlas '277 European soups' page. - plenty of easy inspiration. And there are loads of good 'meal prep' style websites out there.

Soldato
How is Huel working out for you, I tried it a few years ago and it was not nice?

I don't mind it as it's so convenient plus I was looking to minimise my outgoings for a while. The formula has been improved and mixing in say 250ml of almond/hazelnut milk also improves the texture. Most peoples reaction initially is yuck (without even tasting!) but it's not so bad and I've had a few referrals now.

Huel v3.0 is coming in my next batch so I'm hoping for another incremental improvement. I only like Vanilla, chocolate or Berry myself.

Soldato
We have a cupboard full of Lock n Lock tubs just for batching our meals for the week. On a Saturday or Sunday, I cook enough meals for both of us for the week in work and make an oat mix to blend for breakfasts. It saves so much time and money and we eat healthier because of it.

The last couple weeks I've been making laksa for dinners with grilled chicken thighs. It takes me about half an hour to do it all from scratch including boxing up. For the laksa, I get the chicken thighs grilling while I put some garlic, ginger, chilli, turmeric, coriander leaf, peanut butter, soy sauce and sesame oil in a food processor to make a paste. Then I dump that in some water with chicken stock and coconut milk and just boil the noodles in it. Really really easy to do. I usually cycle through a few other recipes week by week that are easy to make and box up.

Soldato
I used to take a roll out the freezer when I went to bed and made a cheese roll in the morning, simple. Even easier is I've just stopped eating at work. I came to a realization that when I was eating at work I wasn't hungry and was just eating my roll because "that's my work food". I used to take 2 cheese rolls, a packet of crisps, a choccy bar and sometimes a piece of fruit and I'd eat the lot.

Associate
Pasta salad. Small shaped pasta, combined with tuna, sweetcorn, olives.
For hot meal, soup like the traditional flavours, Stilton/broccoli, Cauliflower/Gorgonzola, Carrot/coriander. Very easy to do, can't go wrong.

Caporegime
If you believe this thread everyone on OcUK is a bodybuilder lol

those that tend to meal prep for a full week in advance tend to have well thought out diets.

it's not as if i'm going to prep 5 pizzas for lunch now am i?

basic common sense. wife takes soup or a bagel with choice of fillings.

i tend to take spicy chicken and rice with hot sauce.

Back
Top Bottom