Removals company question

Associate
Need some advice..

I am moving to Scotland in a week and the movers (who i have used before) have requested all of the money up front (has previously been after the delivery of goods), which I find very odd and I would like to know if any know of this to be the norm now or?

I have suggested I pay half up front and the rest on the delivery of the goods; waiting their reply..

ty

Soldato
If you've used them before it's doubtful that you'll have issues but I certainly wouldn't be giving them all my worldly goods and then the money, nothing stopping them just driving away with both to never be seen again.

I'd also ask them why it has changed and explain why you are worried about it.

Soldato
Sounds very suspect. This is just a normal house move - load up, drive to destination and unload in the same day ? There's no storage going on or anything ? If their cash flow situation is so poor they need a day's work paid up-front I'd be walking away.

Associate
OP
Sounds very suspect. This is just a normal house move - load up, drive to destination and unload in the same day ? There's no storage going on or anything ? If their cash flow situation is so poor they need a day's work paid up-front I'd be walking away.

It's a long move, so going from Kent to Aberdeen..

I pushed the mover a bit and got it so I'd show him a bank cheque for the full amount and hand it over after delivery, so it seems ok right now.

Last time I used them, they were great and everything went smoothly, so just wondering what changed.

ok fingers crossed..

Soldato
To be fair that's around 1200 mile round trip
And cost of fuel plus putting up say 3 guys overnight and cost of food for them wouldn't have been a factor in your previous move?
If it's a small moving company then
Not unreasonable to ask for something up front but yes I wouldn't pay it all up front either
Having driven from Kent to Glasgow and back many times in the past its a long old drive looking some where around 12+ hours to Aberdeen would be my guess and that's assuming no traffic problems and that the movers can take turns driving
I don't envy them I used to find it an endurance test not enjoyable in the slightest
Best I ever managed 510 miles from here to Glasgow was just under 10 hours and didn't stop even once
Though I did obey all marked speed limits near enough. including road work areas

Associate
OP
To be fair that's around 1200 mile round trip
And cost of fuel plus putting up say 3 guys overnight and cost of food for them wouldn't have been a factor in your previous move?
If it's a small moving company then
Not unreasonable to ask for something up front but yes I wouldn't pay it all up front either
Having driven from Kent to Glasgow and back many times in the past its a long old drive looking some where around 12+ hours to Aberdeen would be my guess and that's assuming no traffic problems and that the movers can take turns driving
I don't envy them I used to find it an endurance test not enjoyable in the slightest
Best I ever managed 510 miles from here to Glasgow was just under 10 hours and didn't stop even once
Though I did obey all marked speed limits near enough. including road work areas

They will be sleeping in the cab, so no problem and they have a job to pick up there as well.

I did pay 10% of the move up front and this move is costing me £2500.

Lots to pack now and going on the 19th, so hopefully power, etc (and internet) will go on as planned.

ty

Soldato
We pay in full up for our 1000km move from London to SW France. Had to give a deposit to secure the booking and then pay the balance a month before moving day. Understandable as this involved 4 people in 2 Luton vans to pack up the house and garage, storing it all for 3 weeks and then having 2 blokes in a 19 tonne truck drive it all the way here and unload it.

Soldato
Which way did you used to go? The A1 is much better now (esp around Nottingham etc) and the A66 is also much much better than it was.[/QUOTE
Straight up M1/A1 over a66
And yeah I remember the A66 40 years ago lol my old man used to drive a coach Glasgow to Cliftonville and back twice a week in those days went a few times with him
But tachometer /tachograph wasn't an issue then and would be booting it hard all the way

Edit
Would also do up towards Cambridge then across
Would depend if was doing it during the day or overnight
Overnight far less traffic to worry about obviously

Last edited:
Soldato
They will be sleeping in the cab, so no problem and they have a job to pick up there as well.

I did pay 10% of the move up front and this move is costing me £2500.

Lots to pack now and going on the 19th, so hopefully power, etc (and internet) will go on as planned.

ty
Hope it all goes well for you
And not surprised it's £2500
Like I said it's a long old haul even without the loading / unloading all your stuff
And yeah kind of guessed they might sleep in the cab though usually they don't admit that to the customer. Usually either they bill you for the guys staying overnight somewhere and make more profit because the guys sleep in the cab
Or the guys are on an overnight allowance and sleep in the cab and pocket the allowance as a perk
Or a mixture of both of those ie bill you £50 per guy and bung the guys £20 out of it

Associate
OP
Every move through the years has always been a major pain to deal with (including this move), but what we had
not really planned for was how much older we are now and how much more work everything seems to be, as mentally
we're still 30, but the reality is hitting home badly right now.

At least we are getting out of the SE as you would not believe how bad things are down here.

Soldato
Every move through the years has always been a major pain to deal with (including this move), but what we had
not really planned for was how much older we are now and how much more work everything seems to be, as mentally
we're still 30, but the reality is hitting home badly right now.

At least we are getting out of the SE as you would not believe how bad things are down here.

Yeah know the mind is willing but body is weak feeling from getting old

Ironically I am Scottish lol
And yeah I would believe how bad things are down here in the south east
As that's where I am sitting right now lol

Associate
OP
Yeah know the mind is willing but body is weak feeling from getting old

Ironically I am Scottish lol
And yeah I would believe how bad things are down here in the south east
As that's where I am sitting right now lol

Where about roughly?

I'm in Folkestone, which is the back end of nowhere and unfortunately where the headquarters for UKIP is located.

Associate

In what respect? Just interested because I am originally from the south east but moved north years ago. Only go back to see family for short periods and really don't like it either. Crowded, busy, poor standards of driving, and the people aren't as nice.

Associate
OP
In what respect? Just interested because I am originally from the south east but moved north years ago. Only go back to see family for short periods and really don't like it either. Crowded, busy, poor standards of driving, and the people aren't as nice.

The problems down here (from most people, but not all) is the visible dislike to those not British and as my wife and son are Swedish, we've heard a wide range of
insults since the vote to leave EU. Some people are very friendly, so it is sad that we will be leaving friends behind and going to where my family are located as it has
become too much of a problem here as it has grown steadily worse in the last couple of months; we just couldn't take it any longer.

Soldato
Folkstone .. although they're leavers - insults - who ?

.. expect to pay a deposit up front, 2.5K isn't that a mainstream company - you're packing youself ?
insurance of stuff duing moving is always derisory, although some say, they have a clause in home insurance.

Associate
OP
Folkstone .. although they're leavers - insults - who ?

.. expect to pay a deposit up front, 2.5K isn't that a mainstream company - you're packing youself ?
insurance of stuff duing moving is always derisory, although some say, they have a clause in home insurance.

Cost of the move, is ok now. I just wanted to check on here about what the norm was these days as it has been several years
since I last moved.

As for the people who live here and their attitudes towards others... it was never much of an issue when we moved down here 12 years ago,
but as mentioned, things have changed and I know of others who have had similar issues, but such are the times I guess. In any case, I will
be back in Scotland and there I will remain.

Back
Top Bottom