• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Installed new 5700 and causing static and hanging in bios (vid)

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpm2TbSh_g&feature=youtu.be

(dont mind the noise in the background - those with kids would understand ;)

The video shows the monitor turning on and off along with a static bios screen; but when it eventually boots into windows everything is fine (clear picture). Sometimes during the process I need to hard restart it because it hangs in the bios.

Im using a p8z68 asus mb and this worked fine with my gtx970 along with my dp cable. Now here is the thing; a few weeks ago I bought a 5700 strix and it did the same thing. I had returned this thinking it was a faulty card because 'asus' told me so. But since this new card a powercolor red devil is doing the same thing; I have a feeling something is up with my system. Oh I am also running a corsair ax850psu.

Im a bit concerned the card may actually be faulty but more so because if my system is somehow incompatible I dont know when I will be upgrading my whole system.

Any advice? - if it did the same thing in windows Id think ok faulty dp cord or ... but here I am in windows and everything seems fine? ... its the booting into windows and the fact this is my second card from a different manufacture and its doing the same thing. Oh and the drivers shouldn't matter when it comes to the bios screen and booting.

Associate
OP
May need to update the motherboards BIOS.

Regretfully that didnt work ... (just did it ...) had to put the old gpu in to see the bios screen to install it. Was running an old bios 2012 one and the newest was a 2015 one. But still same issue. Could a bios setting cause this; one thing the bios kept my old settings - which is a oced cpu - might that cause some issues in someway?

Associate
OP
... Whelp ... was trying to figure this out and came across someone that mentioned a cable not working with one vid card but another and only in the bios screen? ... ya weird ... but tried it. Im not sure if I have another dp cable around so used a hdmi one. No bios noise. Huh ... and to think I spent 6 hours with my previous card trying to get it to work.

2 questions thou.

Is there any issue with using a hdmi cable as compared to a dp cable for a 4k monitor etc ...? I think the hdmi is of good quality braided and gold colored (lol). And Im curious if my dp port is bad in my monitor so might end up buying a dp cable just to be sure on that one.

I would have never thought that it was the cable. Seriously fine with my other gpu, and seriously corrupt bios signal I mean I couldnt read jack but windows was perfectly fine even when testing with timespy 3d mark.

Im a bit glad its figured out but just bemused that it was that simple. Oh Im not going to bother testing the other dp ports on my card because I had done that with the previous card and no joy.

Soldato
... Whelp ... was trying to figure this out and came across someone that mentioned a cable not working with one vid card but another and only in the bios screen? ... ya weird ... but tried it. Im not sure if I have another dp cable around so used a hdmi one. No bios noise. Huh ... and to think I spent 6 hours with my previous card trying to get it to work.

2 questions thou.

Is there any issue with using a hdmi cable as compared to a dp cable for a 4k monitor etc ...? I think the hdmi is of good quality braided and gold colored (lol). And Im curious if my dp port is bad in my monitor so might end up buying a dp cable just to be sure on that one.

I would have never thought that it was the cable. Seriously fine with my other gpu, and seriously corrupt bios signal I mean I couldnt read jack but windows was perfectly fine even when testing with timespy 3d mark.

Im a bit glad its figured out but just bemused that it was that simple. Oh Im not going to bother testing the other dp ports on my card because I had done that with the previous card and no joy.

As @fs123 said, get a DP1.4 HBR3 VESA rated cable, 2m ones going for £10-£17

Back
Top Bottom