• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Well not or a 1080 ti owner :(, 2080 ti is simply not worth it for the performance increase.

I bought a 2080ti about 9 months ago and it felt worth it for me, especially as I got great price for the 1080ti I was upgrading from. A mate picked up a 3 month old Aorus Xtreme Waterforce 2080ti for £950 on eBay last week. He had a Zotac 1080ti AMP Extreme and in Mechwarrior 5 at 3440x1440 he went from lows of 40-50fps to 80-90fps. He is blown away by the performance increase.

Soldato
I bought a 2080ti about 9 months ago and it felt worth it for me, especially as I got great price for the 1080ti I was upgrading from. A mate picked up a 3 month old Aorus Xtreme Waterforce 2080ti for £950 on eBay last week. He had a Zotac 1080ti AMP Extreme and in Mechwarrior 5 at 3440x1440 he went from lows of 40-50fps to 80-90fps. He is blown away by the performance increase.
Its 25-30% fps increase no matter what your friend is telling you.

Associate
yeah in fairness if you're already invested in the (overpriced to the consumer) 1080Ti and get a good 2nd hand sale I can see that a 2080Ti bump could be attractive.

The point there though is at some point you got fleeced either cos you overpaid for product X in upgrading to product Y or simply buying product Y.

To draw an analogy (cos this forum loves analogies right) its a little like looking to buy your first house and it feeling a bit of a ripoff, but if you own a house already and don't sell it in 3yrs you too will see massive depreciation and be in the same boat as a first time house buyer.

Soldato
yeah in fairness if you're already invested in the (overpriced to the consumer) 1080Ti and get a good 2nd hand sale I can see that a 2080Ti bump could be attractive.

The point there though is at some point you got fleeced either cos you overpaid for product X in upgrading to product Y or simply buying product Y.

To draw an analogy (cos this forum loves analogies right) its a little like looking to buy your first house and it feeling a bit of a ripoff, but if you own a house already and don't sell it in 3yrs you too will see massive depreciation and be in the same boat as a first time house buyer.

I think my 1080ti was £750 when I bought it and I got £550 when I sold it but everyone wanted a 1080ti at that point. I’ll agree that £1500 for a GC is madness but my Gigabyte 2080ti was £1050 and I can live with that (im also VAT registered ;)) as it’s the best thing out there atm. Obviously it would be better if it was cheaper but unless AMD step it up and actually take on Nvidia at the highest end I can’t see it changing. Will I buy the 3080ti when it comes out. I’d say there is a 90% chance I will. I’m a sucker for FPS and I want 60+ FPS with highest RTX

Permabanned
Again that is your own opinion not mines or others here so I do not value your opinion on his topic.

You prefer 4K I do not for now so you are the one being ignorant towards others opinion so Touche.

Soldato
Again that is your own opinion not mines or others here so I do not value your opinion on his topic.

You prefer 4K I do not for now so you are the one being ignorant towards others opinion so Touche.

I have to concur 4K with the right games is amazing. Perhaps if you give it a go instead of being so blinkered you might change your mind :p

Touche :confused:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Ain’t my opinion. 1440p is not on the same level. The main reason people are still even using it in 2020 is because a lack of advancement in GPU’s. If right now we had cards 2-3 times the performance at similar price points a lot more people here would be looking or would have already upgraded to 4K 144hz monitor now.

But as it is for those who like high fps I do get why they prefer 1440p. As it is worth making the sacrifice in image quality for the games to be more responsive. Lucky for me I don’t do any twitch gaming or any online gaming at all in some years now. All games I play 60fps is more than smooth enough so I choose the better image quality of 4K. But each to their own. There is no right and wrong.

If it was not for Ray Tracing making an appearance and graphics cards slowing down advancement so much I would be looking to go 8K. But as it is I will probably be on 4K for the foreseeable future.

Caporegime
Easy tigers!!! We all prefer different things remember. I personally prefer UW over 4K but appreciate that is my own opinion and some will agree with me and others will disagree. No need for silly bickering when our personal tastes are what counts.

Permabanned
If they actually read my post (and the two or three others above) they would know I have had 4K, if they learned to accept others do not like the same as them they would get on better.

I am not going to repeat the same thing over and over again to get though some thick skulls, added to the fact no GPU today is an ideal 4K card (sure at low FPS), I prefer Max setting and higher HZ/FPS and it is not only this thread other have also said this in, but some seem to think 4K is "The be all and end all".

Permabanned
Ain’t my opinion. 1440p is not on the same level. The main reason people are still even using it in 2020 is because a lack of advancement in GPU’s. If right now we had cards 2-3 times the performance at similar price points a lot more people here would be looking or would have already upgraded to 4K 144hz monitor now.

But as it is for those who like high fps I do get why they prefer 1440p. As it is worth making the sacrifice in image quality for the games to be more responsive. Lucky for me I don’t do any twitch gaming or any online gaming at all in some years now. All games I play 60fps is more than smooth enough so I choose the better image quality of 4K. But each to their own. There is no right and wrong.

If it was not for Ray Tracing making an appearance and graphics cards slowing down advancement so much I would be looking to go 8K. But as it is I will probably be on 4K for the foreseeable future.

It IS your opinion as you obviously did not read or are incapable of reading the above posts.

Obviously I would be on 4K if I could run it at MAX settings and higher refresh like 144HZ/FPS, I have already stated that but for now I cannot so that is that till 3000/4000 series.

Soldato
If they actually read my post (and the two or three others above) they would know I have had 4K, if they learned to accept others do not like the same as them they would get on better.

I am not going to repeat the same thing over and over again to get though some thick skulls, added to the fact no GPU today is an ideal 4K card (sure at low FPS), I prefer Max setting and higher HZ/FPS and it is not only this thread other have also said this in, but some seem to think 4K is "The be all and end all".
No I did not know if you had 4K, nor do I care to read you other posts if they are as obnoxious as your recent ones. :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Sure, only towards people like you that cannot read/grasp others (who post in the same said tone/manner) have different opinions and until now I had never even seen you period but I can fix that for the future...

If and a big if we had some better then LCD crap tech we may not need high HZ/FPS as on CRT 60FPS was the goal and looked fine and the HZ would have been at least 85HZ for me on my higher end models

Higher again on my FW900 dependant on RES which again was dependent on the power of each current Flagship GPU at that time.

Coming from CRT/Plasma the motion is laggy on LCD as their pixels are slower by nature and even OLED does not look as natural as CRT/Plasma (yes I had the very 1st Gen LG OLED).

There are more them myself in this thread to have stated we prefer 1440p for X reasons for now and in countless other threads so you and the couple of others above are going to have a busy time going round and posting in them all but I advise you read the posts fully before having a go at others.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also having used my 55" LG OLED as a PC monitor for a couple of days, the picture was amazing and blew my 3440x1440 UW out the water. I would have bought another had I had the room in my gaming space but unfortunately, I don't. 4K on the right screen is a sight to behold in truth and I have said it before and I will say it again, bring out a OLED monitor that fits my area and I would jump on it.

Back
Top Bottom