*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
You missed the point, Sky Italy have been providing HDR through the Q box for about a year.....
Yup - sorry, I had missed the point. I just assumed Sky Italy were mis-advertising.
So there is a development team in Italy who have successfully got HDR running through their Q boxes, yet a team in the UK who now say late 202 if we're lucky. And the reason for that would be??

Soldato
Yup - sorry, I had missed the point. I just assumed Sky Italy were mis-advertising.
So there is a development team in Italy who have successfully got HDR running through their Q boxes, yet a team in the UK who now say late 202 if we're lucky. And the reason for that would be??
I suspect because Sky Italy is a much smaller customer base so easier to roll out new programmes with the right level of support.

Soldato
About 5 million subs to the UK's 12 million, again HDR has been available for about a year, the equipment is the same as the UK unit so surely if it works in Italy it can work in the UK.
Perhaps they're having a load of issues in Italy that they want to iron out before they roll out out to a much larger customer base? Not sure, but these things are rarely about just the tech being available. It's more about is it stable, can we support customers with questions, how will they package it etc.

Soldato
Perhaps they're having a load of issues in Italy that they want to iron out before they roll out out to a much larger customer base? Not sure, but these things are rarely about just the tech being available. It's more about is it stable, can we support customers with questions, how will they package it etc.

I don't think they are otherwise we would have probably have heard about it. Who knows. The lions share of 4K tv's can handle base HDR10 so the on demand content surely could benefit from it.

Caporegime
Just been advised Sky won’t be doing BT Ultimate as it’s a Broadband delivered service, not via Satellite.

So zero advantage of taking BT through sky this new way, rather than the way I already have BT through sky.

Apparently no additional channels or programmes, and no UHD, just maybe possibly slightly cheaper than the service BT already supply through sky.

Soldato
Nothing officially announced yet. I’ve seen pricing but can’t say anything yet.

No worries,

I know you can get BT Sports from BT in 4k and have access to the app so you can play it on all your smart TVs, iPads etc etc for £25 a month so I'd be wanting it significantly cheaper from sky if I'm locked into viewing on the box in hd.

Soldato
Today I was offered superfast broadband for £21 and their broadband boost for an extra £5. The only way to get the 4.2 hub is by taking the extra £5 a month sub for the apparent "boost" package, I can't just take out a new contract and get the upgraded hardware. Speeds remain the same.

Has anyone any experience of the 4.2 hub vs the Q hub? It would work out as £90 for the router over 18months and a worthless "WiFi throughout your house or your money back" guarantee (you're guaranteed 3mb in all rooms).

Soldato
Today I was offered superfast broadband for £21 and their broadband boost for an extra £5. The only way to get the 4.2 hub is by taking the extra £5 a month sub for the apparent "boost" package, I can't just take out a new contract and get the upgraded hardware. Speeds remain the same.

Has anyone any experience of the 4.2 hub vs the Q hub? It would work out as £90 for the router over 18months and a worthless "WiFi throughout your house or your money back" guarantee (you're guaranteed 3mb in all rooms).

I've just bought the TP Link Deco system (argos is cheapest) which is absolutely briliant. Wouldn't trust the free wifi routers as they are all rubbish (I'm using the vodafone vox3 which is supposed to be the best of the free ones)....I certainly wouldn't pay extra for a 'better' one.

Have a look at the deco if you need better coverage.

Soldato
Worst thing about SkyQ at the minute is the stupid volume changes between channels, just flicking through channels ATM between football matches and the volume which is perfectly fine on football is like it’s on mute on some movie channels but then fine on other movies, bit of a joke TBH

Soldato
What channels have you noticed are louder than others?
It seems to be on older movies and TV programs that the volume is really low but I haven’t really taken notice of what the content was, more just that I was very low. The one that really made me notice was titanic on sky movies my normal volume level on my soundbar is 15-18 but on titanic on sky movies I needed it at 30

Soldato
Is there a way to disable hdmi sound?

Dad uses skyq hooked to a monitor with cheap speakers built in. Bought a soundbar to use for it instead, hooked up over optical. Is there a way to disable hdmi audio? Closest I've found is set the hdmi audio to dolby digital, and then on hd channels the monitor won't output sound (doesn't support it), but sd channels will still have sound. Annoying to keep having to turn down the built in speakers. Is there a setting somewhere to just disable audio over hdmi and only output to optical?

Caporegime
Is there a way to disable hdmi sound?

Dad uses skyq hooked to a monitor with cheap speakers built in. Bought a soundbar to use for it instead, hooked up over optical. Is there a way to disable hdmi audio? Closest I've found is set the hdmi audio to dolby digital, and then on hd channels the monitor won't output sound (doesn't support it), but sd channels will still have sound. Annoying to keep having to turn down the built in speakers. Is there a setting somewhere to just disable audio over hdmi and only output to optical?

Nope. The system was designed to be connected to a TV which takes sound and video. There's no option to stop audio output via HDMI. Might be something in the monitor settings? Or maybe a headphone jack you could plug something into?

Back
Top Bottom