Greta Thunberg

Caporegime
I just see, blather.

So the snow flakes will now ditch the car/bus ride to school where they can chill with their phones/mates, in favour of walking/cycling? Be it 1,5, or even 10 miles? They're now going to get up extra early on a school day? Even when it's cold, raining and miserable? Because they're honest?

As if man. The massive majority of millennials will do whatever suits them, just like all other generations before them.

Nothing new. Just more disturbing depths of narcissism and attention seeking.

Millennials aren’t going to be doing that no, because we all work now... You’re thinking of generation Z, which Thunberg is part of.

Nice to see the old fogies like you proving the point though.;)

Soldato
She is generation ****flake which seems to have started in the 90s, but reach peak flake in the 2010s. Now people top themselves over name calling on the internet and cry over any kind of rejection.

Caporegime
Again a lot of words trying to score points to back up your stance.
In reality few are needed, your evidence for high sensitivity seems to be all model based.
I have more faith in observational\empirical evidence than models, that have been shown to be useless : https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/feart.2019.00223/full

We can both throw stones at each other, i could throw some at Dessler/stevens if i felt like it, but that will not change the fact that the only thing that matters is how sensitive the climate is to C02 from a CAGW perspective.

I don’t agree with you entirely, but again I’ll point out that the paper you provided showed that the climate was still sensitive to CO2, and it was in the range of the IPCCs. That means, at best the author is going to agree with the lower temperature increase presented by the IPCC, which is still bad from an environmental point of view.

Being the sceptic that i am, anything based on a model of our chaotic climate system from the side that gave us "climategate" does not convince me easily.
Show me a model based on a complete understanding of the climate and how it works [ a long way off ], then add a track record of accuracy that agrees with observations. That would be amazing, and i really think it would be very useful thing for us to have, even if it was to show my current stance to be wrong.

That’s not how this all “works”. There is no one model that would encompass everything, and no one model is being used to define temperature increases. Yes, there is a small probability (with models and data) that we are overegging things and we’re out to lunch, equally there’s a small probability that we’re out to lunch the other way and we’re way past the point of no return (with models and data). The IPCC try and stay somewhere in the middle with their predictions, and that’s what much of the scientific and political push is based on.

The same with specific scientists/authors. Hanging on to the words of just one is not going to help you understand the variation of opinion on the subject. The cult of personality is heavy in the climate sceptic world.

Don’t you think that if there is reasonable probability that we are severely damaging our environment (and there is, even sceptics can’t disagree with probability), that we should do something “just in case”?

Humans are responsible. And humans would be very naive if they think that things will go smoothly without unexpected and unplanned surprises. Such as a complete dry out of the Amazon rainforest region which could accelerate the global warming even further, so effectively making all their efforts best described with "Project Venus" wording!

The drying out of the Amazon is less to do with global climate change and more to do with local climate change. Deforestation caused by the increasing “need” of the human population is the main driver in this instance. Reduced volume of trees reduces the volume of evaporation and hence reduces the volume of rain (another example of a feedback loop). Hence the issue with the current number of people on this planet and their requirement for resources.

Permabanned
The drying out of the Amazon is less to do with global climate change and more to do with local climate change. Deforestation caused by the increasing “need” of the human population is the main driver in this instance. Reduced volume of trees reduces the volume of evaporation and hence reduces the volume of rain (another example of a feedback loop). Hence the issue with the current number of people on this planet and their requirement for resources.

The quantity of humans is not the problem - the problem is the politicians and the current system - there should be more resources directed to technological solutions, and complete abandoning of current business lobbies which do nothing but harm - petrol industry, coal industry, gas industry, deforestation industry, etc.

10 Materials That Could Replace Wood One Day
https://www.networx.com/article/10-materials-that-could-replace-wood-one

""Whether for framing a new addition, building a deck or making a piece of furniture, wood is usually the go-to material. However, there are environmental costs and structural drawbacks to many traditional wood products. Plenty of creative alternatives are available. Here is a sampling of wood alternatives, most with some environmental advantages, for home construction and remodeling projects.
1. Hemp
2. Bamboo
3. Wood composites
4. Plastic wood
5. Soy
6. Cork
7. Cardboard
8. Newspaper
9. Nutshells
10. Straw""

Soldato
Bamboo is great stuff and it grows like crazy. It's a shame we can't grow it big here.

Things made from bamboo (as is, without treatment) will last ages as long as they aren't stuck in the ground.

Soldato
Bamboo is great stuff and it grows like crazy.

Something that was enthusiastically exploited by the 19th century Chinese "Board of punishments"

(Along with a lot of rather more unpleasant things such as the wire jacket!)

"They are not like us, They are not our friends!"

:(

Caporegime
The quantity of humans is not the problem - the problem is the politicians and the current system - there should be more resources directed to technological solutions, and complete abandoning of current business lobbies which do nothing but harm - petrol industry, coal industry, gas industry, deforestation industry, etc.

10 Materials That Could Replace Wood One Day
https://www.networx.com/article/10-materials-that-could-replace-wood-one

""Whether for framing a new addition, building a deck or making a piece of furniture, wood is usually the go-to material. However, there are environmental costs and structural drawbacks to many traditional wood products. Plenty of creative alternatives are available. Here is a sampling of wood alternatives, most with some environmental advantages, for home construction and remodeling projects.
1. Hemp
2. Bamboo
3. Wood composites
4. Plastic wood
5. Soy
6. Cork
7. Cardboard
8. Newspaper
9. Nutshells
10. Straw""
Substituting plastic for wood is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. (I do love how plastic companies are now marketing this as "eco friendly" plastic. Lol).

What we should be doing is harvesting wood sustainably.

The problem is that massive deforestation occurs with no commitment to replanting. Because any money you spend planting new trees you probably aren't getting back for tens of years (and you've probably retired by then so **** it, eh?)

Plastic is far, far, far worse than wood (imho).

But plastic is essential for many things now because it's the only material that can be used to transport things to billions of people cost-effectively. Again there's just too many of us. Every single problem occurs because there's too many of us. That's the underlying problem here.

There's too many of us.

Caporegime
It's a very significant portion of it though.
Absolutely. If we used glass milk bottles and built things out of wood, that would be much better than using plastic.

But to do that with the same carbon budget as we use to make and transport things with plastic, we'd have to make and transport less.

Our global population needs to fall. There's no getting away from it.

Permabanned
Substituting plastic for wood is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. (I do love how plastic companies are now marketing this as "eco friendly" plastic. Lol).

What we should be doing is harvesting wood sustainably.

The problem is that massive deforestation occurs with no commitment to replanting. Because any money you spend planting new trees you probably aren't getting back for tens of years (and you've probably retired by then so **** it, eh?)

Plastic is far, far, far worse than wood (imho).

But plastic is essential for many things now because it's the only material that can be used to transport things to billions of people cost-effectively. Again there's just too many of us. Every single problem occurs because there's too many of us. That's the underlying problem here.

There's too many of us.

Tens of years...... this means there should be policies towards investing now without expecting immediate profits (after a year) but with deep thoughts about the future.
There is very strong negativism in the politicians about the future - many even go as far as to say that there is no future and we must live only for the moment.
The entire market economy / capitalism is built or shaped around the idea of uncertainty in all the surrounding environment factors.

But there are deeper problems than this. The elites consider the working class still as slaves - the ruling parties have no respect of the people - their policies do not consider what people really want - the whole system is a dictatorship where democracy is just a prohibited word / taboo and idea.

As some say - if elections were able to change anything, they would be prohibited.

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/emma_goldman_107325
Emma Goldman

""‘If Voting Made a Difference, They Wouldn’t Let Us Do It’
A quote concerning the irrelevancy of voting is often attributed to American humorist Mark Twain.""
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mark-twain-voting-quote/

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
For those that wont bother to click the link.
But some, including Alex Jones’ conspiracy site InfoWars that spreads climate change denialism, falsely reported that “nearly 200 people” were arrested in Australia for “deliberately” starting bushfires.

That would be a distortion of the facts. Police in New South Wales released a statement disclosing that since Nov. 8, 2019, 183 people, including 40 juveniles, have been charged with 205 bushfire-related offenses. Of the 183, 24 people have been charged with deliberately setting fires. According to police, of the 183, another “53 people have had legal actions for allegedly failing to comply with a total fire ban,” and an additional “47 people have had legal actions for allegedly discarding a lighted cigarette or match on land.”

Local press reports indicate that not all of the people charged committed acts that contributed to the raging brushfires. For example, a man in the Sydney suburb of Wallacia was fined for lighting a fire to make a cup of tea. That blaze was extinguished by firefighters. Another man was cited for lighting a fire to cook food in the town of Tarro. That fire was also put out by responding crews.
Its astonishing that people just pick these CT stories up and run with them as if its the whole story.

Permabanned
When people push plastic as a wood subsistute that is how you know we are going to a new low. Wood can replace plastic people need to adapt to the new prices and the population currently only exists thanks to plastic.

Both should be drastically lowered, But some things are criminal like mentioned how did plastic replace glass milk bottles? Most supermarket wares should be in glass and wood should be mass CNC and shapes for everyday needs. This is what our ancestors used they shaped stone wood and bone like we mould plastic. But while they left no footprint or litter and thus dissapear from history each person on this forum will leave behind a mass of plastic that will last 500 years and poison and mame humans and wildlife.

It is nuts...

Caporegime
People are talked down when said all this is a setup by her parents, looking to make money since they are in the "green" business. Enjoy.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political...glitch-reveals-greta-thunburgs-father-posting

She doesn't use Facebook, she writes the content and some guy posts on her behalf. Big deal.

And lets not forget something that missing from the MSM dropping the fires in Australia to climate....

https://noqreport.com/2020/01/06/18...nge-alarmists-blame-australias-massive-fires/

183 arsonists arrested in Australia since August, of which 67 juveniles

It's utterly laughable that you swallowed this piece of fake news without even checking the facts.

Man of Honour
She doesn't use Facebook, she writes the content and some guy posts on her behalf. Big deal.

Not that it is really unexpected these days with anyone who is a public figure and their social media profile(s) but it would have been better to have transparency over that (it isn't like Facebook for quite awhile hasn't been clear as to how pages like that should be represented by those that manage/own them).

I can't articulate why but I don't get good vibes when it comes to these slightly convoluted excuses that quickly get trotted out when she gets caught out or people think they've caught her out - I've long learnt to trust my instincts when it comes to stuff like this sometimes I'm wrong but far more often right (and usually take a whole load of flack before for whatever reason it turns out I was at least on the right lines as demonstrated in so many threads here).

Back
Top Bottom