What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Not so much to my car, but for my car...bought myself one of these.

I already have a standard Halfords jack, and there's nothing really wrong with it after 10 years or so of service. However, it doesn't go low enough to go under my car without the car being driven onto blocks of wood first, whilst it also doesn't go high enough to lift my girlfriends car high enough to get the wheel off comfortably unless the jack itself is raised with blocks of wood. I was getting tired having to lug timber around every time I wanted to jack a car up, so time for a low profile jack.

Halfords do a low profile version of the jack I currently have which might have done the job too - but, the Advanced one has features of some of the better jacks on the market - quick lift using a foot-pedal, an upright handle so you can jack the car from a standing position, and it's generally just built more ruggedly. It weighs as much as the moon, so iut can't be picked up easily - however, decent castors and the long handle means you can just drag it around fairly easily. Hopefully, it will save a fair bit of effort overall, and given that I do lots of jobs on the cars myself, I'm hoping it's a good investment.

For the price, I'd say it stacks up pretty well against some of the big name brands. I've always been impressed with Halfords Advanced range tools anyway. Hopefully we'll see how much easier it makes things over the coming weeks, as both cars are due brake pads changes fairly soon.

Soldato
Bought one of those myself 6 months back, like you i had to drive onto blocks before i could get my old jack under. this made the job SO simple, the car can be on jack stands in <10 minutes vs the 30 minutes+ of faffing. When you spend more time just raising and lowering the car jobs soon become very easy to put off....
It could do with a stronger rubber pad if there are any suggestions? :)

Associate
Not so much to my car, but for my car...bought myself one of these.

I already have a standard Halfords jack, and there's nothing really wrong with it after 10 years or so of service. However, it doesn't go low enough to go under my car without the car being driven onto blocks of wood first, whilst it also doesn't go high enough to lift my girlfriends car high enough to get the wheel off comfortably unless the jack itself is raised with blocks of wood. I was getting tired having to lug timber around every time I wanted to jack a car up, so time for a low profile jack.

Halfords do a low profile version of the jack I currently have which might have done the job too - but, the Advanced one has features of some of the better jacks on the market - quick lift using a foot-pedal, an upright handle so you can jack the car from a standing position, and it's generally just built more ruggedly. It weighs as much as the moon, so iut can't be picked up easily - however, decent castors and the long handle means you can just drag it around fairly easily. Hopefully, it will save a fair bit of effort overall, and given that I do lots of jobs on the cars myself, I'm hoping it's a good investment.

For the price, I'd say it stacks up pretty well against some of the big name brands. I've always been impressed with Halfords Advanced range tools anyway. Hopefully we'll see how much easier it makes things over the coming weeks, as both cars are due brake pads changes fairly soon.

You will now realise just how flimsy the cheap basic trolley jack's are. I sometimes use my basic one alongside the larger low entry one and it almost doesn't feel safe!

Man of Honour
Not doing all of it myself but gonna be replacing 4x tyres, 1x lower ball joint, lower front air-spoiler and a light assembly :s (cost of having some "fun" off-road).

Soldato
Bought one of those myself 6 months back, like you i had to drive onto blocks before i could get my old jack under. this made the job SO simple, the car can be on jack stands in <10 minutes vs the 30 minutes+ of faffing. When you spend more time just raising and lowering the car jobs soon become very easy to put off....
It could do with a stronger rubber pad if there are any suggestions? :)

An official size and weigh hockey puck :)

Soldato
Yup. Grab 'em for a couple of quid off Ebay or Amazon. They are made of a very dense rubber...cut a slot in them so they can be used on your between your sills and either the jack or jack stands.

Soldato
Yup. Grab 'em for a couple of quid off Ebay or Amazon. They are made of a very dense rubber...cut a slot in them so they can be used on your between your sills and either the jack or jack stands.

God i hate cars that have that stupid pinch weld on the sills. My girlfriends old Mazda had one...and naturally it was bent and a bit mangled. Now her Audi has also got one...and it's got a bit bent and mangled.

BMW have, for as long as I can remember, had the bright idea to just put plastic blocks where the jacking points are so A) it's obvious where you're meant to jack it from B) they don't damage the sill when you jack it up and C) are replaceable for about £8 each. I have no idea why other big manufacturers haven't all moved to this?

Soldato
God i hate cars that have that stupid pinch weld on the sills. My girlfriends old Mazda had one...and naturally it was bent and a bit mangled. Now her Audi has also got one...and it's got a bit bent and mangled.

BMW have, for as long as I can remember, had the bright idea to just put plastic blocks where the jacking points are so A) it's obvious where you're meant to jack it from B) they don't damage the sill when you jack it up and C) are replaceable for about £8 each. I have no idea why other big manufacturers haven't all moved to this?

Every other car manufacturer has shares in hockey puck manufacturing instead.

Associate
I had the car on a rolling road today for the 1st time. I would have liked more but considering the age i'm happy.

WaD2ua.jpg

280bhp 283ft-lb

Associate
RB25DET Neo?

Thats what its meant to make if so - Or is that all they could get out of it with tuning etc?

Yeah its a NEO. No tuning (yet), stock ceramic turbo and stock ECU that cant be mapped you have to get a piggyback or replace it.
I'm running more boost via a HKS EVC-S so I thought id be closer to 300.

Caporegime
Yeah its a NEO. No tuning (yet), stock ceramic turbo and stock ECU that cant be mapped you have to get a piggyback or replace it.
I'm running more boost via a HKS EVC-S so I thought id be closer to 300.

Have you confirmed with a mechanical boost gauge that the boost level is actually what the HKS claims to have set it to?

Soldato
You will now realise just how flimsy the cheap basic trolley jack's are. I sometimes use my basic one alongside the larger low entry one and it almost doesn't feel safe!

You're right. Used it today to replace my rear pads; it's more solid and stable, and it also lifts quicker with less effort. Very pleased :)

Soldato
How are you using these hockey pucks as jack pads? Obviously you're cutting a slot into them for the pinch welded seam, but are you just placing them onto of the jack pad, or do you cut them to a size that fits into your particular jack pad? Does this really only work if you have a larger jack pad? My partners Corolla has those super-annoying pinch welds and if I avoid them during jacking by placing the jack under suspension components I then find myself with nowhere to place an axel stand. I only have a Hilka 3ton jack, and the jack pad on it cant be more than 6cm or so - so substantially smaller than a puck!

Speaking of the Corolla, that got new disks and pads on the rear today. Never had so much trouble with caliper carrier bolts or rust-welded disks. The 14mm carrier bolts had to be persuaded to shift with a 650mm breaker bar, whilst the disks required enough hammering to put me in the neighbours' bad books!

Back
Top Bottom