Car broke down, possible cause?

Soldato
Hi

Car is at local garage now, but won't be looked at until tomorrow, wondering if any motor techs on here might know a possible reason.

Hyundai i30 automatic, at a junction floored it to pull away, not something I normally do.

Anyway car engine just stopped and all the car electric lights came up on cluster panel.

Got it going again, but it's now at garage to check it over.

I'm thinking by flooring it, the engine couldn't cope and just cut out?

Soldato
Hi

Car is at local garage now, but won't be looked at until tomorrow, wondering if any motor techs on here might know a possible reason.

Hyundai i30 automatic, at a junction floored it to pull away, not something I normally do.

Anyway car engine just stopped and all the car electric lights came up on cluster panel.

How about....

Faulty earth strap connecting engine to body shell. (Or dodgy wiring in the loom where it goes from the body to the engine)

Flooring it caused more engine movement than normal and revealed a momentary open circuit.

The main problem for the garage is they might have great difficulty getting the fault to recur and so will not really know where to start looking.

And if it is a wiring/loom problem you are likely to get a million fault codes blaming everything on the car!

Associate
Er i would expect every car on sale to be able to take a "flooring it" no problem.
Suspect... fuel pump or something like that, terminal coming loose on a sensor or something could also be a goer.

Soldato
OP
Unless I am mistaken, the petrol i30 has an in tank filter that is part of the fuel pump assembly. It is replaceable, but a massive and messy ballache to do so!

This is a Diesel, unsure if that makes a difference, will update if the garage finds the cause, will mention about the fuel filter, cheers everyone.

Soldato
This is a Diesel, unsure if that makes a difference, will update if the garage finds the cause, will mention about the fuel filter, cheers everyone.

Diesel will have an accessible fuel filter in the engine bay, It is usually a relatively easy thing to replace (Unlike the petrol one) Just unscrew old one and screw in new one though sometimes depending on design they can be a bit tricky to bleed, Some cars have electric lift pumps which makes the job dead easy, some will have primer pumps on the fuel filter housing or elsewhere. Some have neither and they can be a bit of a ****** (Fill the new filter with fresh diesel before fitting it will make the job easier)

Man of Honour
Most of the mechanical reasons that might happen shouldn't result in all the lights on the dash coming on - usually you'd just get the engine warning light plus maybe another one relevant to the fault.

Seen a couple of cases like that with EGR failure on our vans though they usually run rough and/or are almost cutting out at idle as well as acting funny when you floor it and only show a couple of warning lights.

Associate
If the engine cuts out or stalls i would expect a light show on the dash.
Cant see a fuel filter causing a complete stall, although they cause lots of other wonkey running issues.

Soldato
Most of the mechanical reasons that might happen shouldn't result in all the lights on the dash coming on - usually you'd just get the engine warning light plus maybe another one relevant to the fault.

Seen a couple of cases like that with EGR failure on our vans though they usually run rough and/or are almost cutting out at idle as well as acting funny when you floor it and only show a couple of warning lights.

VW Diesels?? ;)

Caporegime
Hi

could be anything. could be the intercooler or the engine itself.

flooring it shouldn't have caused it unless the engine was cold. probably an existing issue that was going to pop up but you made it appear quicker by doing so.

Soldato
Any news from the garage?

If I had to guess, I'd say fuel pressure too low/high, it's one of the few things generally that will cause a diesel to full on cut out while accelerating. Most other things will just cause you a loss of power. Flooring it from cold while isn't a great idea, wont cause that to happen.

Back
Top Bottom