• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

:confused: 3dMark results are lower when i O.C. Asus Turbo GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Associate
:confused:
Hi!
Few days ago i got this GPU, Asus Turbo GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (1481 Mhz core / 1377 Mhz mem) which it works now on this rig:
MB: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
Processor: Intel I7-7700K delided + relided w metal liquid
Memory: TEAM GROUP EDITION 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Cooler: water, custom loop (5 rads x 140)

The proc is rock-stable at 5 Ghz, and stable max 46 celsius in full load
The memory is rock-stable as XMP 2.0 in bios, 3200 Mhz

Now my confusing is that when i overclock this GPU the 3dMark results go lower for GPU, as you can see:

edit

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xbEPtwufS7T0mV1Mc9LYcY8gmebWtewBlGzGnUnD1MQ/edit?usp=sharing

I searced a lot on internet but did not find too much. Howerver, i found this 2 years old comparasion, what is saying exactly what i notice, that overclocking this GPU dont bring higher results in 3DMark:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/1303084/spy/1307626/spy/1310153/spy/1301697#

Is a 3dMark problem? Is a specific GPU problem? It matter? I mean should i ignore the 3dMark results because (maybe) in games it make a difference if the GPU is overclocked? I did not measure any results in games, yet.
Cheers!

l.e. i forgot to mention that the GPU is watercooled and the temp is maxim 33 celsius in full load.

Associate
Overclocking a 1080Ti makes a huge difference in 3Dmark (and games).

Could you link to your actual 3dmark result? Are those results on your datasheet showing graphics score or total score?

Next, what is your card actually boosting to? A stock speed of '1481mhz' means nothing - if your card was really stuck at 1481mhz, something would be dramatically wrong. Even at stock it should be boosting toward 1900mhz+ on water. So keep Afterburner open and have it monitor clockspeed. Check what the maximum and average mhz clockspeed is during the run at stock. Then see what happens to it when overclocked. Is adding to your offset actually increasing the mhz at peak usage during the benchmark? Keep Afterburner open on a second screen and monitor it closely and report back here :)

Associate
OP
Overclocking a 1080Ti makes a huge difference in 3Dmark (and games).

Could you link to your actual 3dmark result? Are those results on your datasheet showing graphics score or total score?

Next, what is your card actually boosting to? A stock speed of '1481mhz' means nothing - if your card was really stuck at 1481mhz, something would be dramatically wrong. Even at stock it should be boosting toward 1900mhz+ on water. So keep Afterburner open and have it monitor clockspeed. Check what the maximum and average mhz clockspeed is during the run at stock. Then see what happens to it when overclocked. Is adding to your offset actually increasing the mhz at peak usage during the benchmark? Keep Afterburner open on a second screen and monitor it closely and report back here :)

Thank you Maldoror!
The results refer strictly to GPU as the CPU results are ok (increase when the processor is at 5 GHz and decrease when turn off the processor overclock). I put the results only for GPU because i played a lot while OC (increasing-decreasing, GPU) and its much simple like that.
I will fallow your advice and i will come back with results.
Cheers!

Associate
Thank you Maldoror!
The results refer strictly to GPU as the CPU results are ok (increase when the processor is at 5 GHz and decrease when turn off the processor overclock). I put the results only for GPU because i played a lot while OC (increasing-decreasing, GPU) and its much simple like that.
I will fallow your advice and i will come back with results.
Cheers!

We'll get to the bottom of this.

So if you look here for example, which is people on this forum submitting timespy scores (pay attention only to the gfx score):

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/time-spy-standard-dx-12-bench.18740536/

You can see that the 1080Tis score from about 11,000 to 10,000, with a few lowest examples being around 9000.

Clearly this shows that all the scores in your datasheet are far too low for a 1080Ti (a 1080 non-Ti can make those scores).

So the first thing we need to establish - before worrying about overclocks - is what the card is actually doing and whether it's working correctly.

1) Go to Nvidia control panel and set 3d settings to 'default'. You may then need to set 'preferred refresh rate' (about 2/3rds of the way down) back to 'highest available' if you don't use G-Sync. But just to make sure you don't have some odd settings there.
2) Get GPU-Z and check the card is running in the right PCIE mode. Probably 16x 3.0 but to cause these problems it has to be something extreme, so 8x or suchlike is probably still okay. Regardless, post your result for that. The PCI-E mode is shown on the main GPU-Z screen ("Graphics card") in the middle right under 'Bus Interface'.
3) Set up MSI Afterburner (or EVGA Precision) and monitor gpu usuage and gpu clock speed. Run 3dmark and check that the card is under 99% usage load throughout the test and watch the clockspeed. We will see some fluctuations due to power limit but since it's watercooled and temps are fine (but check temps too, during the run), I would not expect it to drop below 1850-1900mhz during the test, or thereabouts.

Do these things and report back and we'll continue.

Associate
OP
I did what you adviced me, thank you!
The GPU is set now at +76 MHz for GPU Core and +459 MHz for GPU Mem.
I dont know where or how exactly to set the "default" for Nvidia 3d settings but i open the Nvdia controll panel and there i found something like "restore default" and did it... Also there is a refresh rate and i have to chose between 6o Hz and 100Hz. I left 60.
Then i got GPU-Z, see the screenshot, it says my card is overclocked and working on proper PCI-E speed, i think.
But then, during the 3dMark, the MSI Afterburner overlay it shows the base frequencys, not any fluctuation, it shows 1481 MHz for core and 5468 for mem. Should i set something in MSI Afterburner to show the actual frequency or is something not working properly?
Cheers!

We'll get to the bottom of this.
So the first thing we need to establish - before worrying about overclocks - is what the card is actually doing and whether it's working correctly.

1) Go to Nvidia control panel and set 3d settings to 'default'. You may then need to set 'preferred refresh rate' (about 2/3rds of the way down) back to 'highest available' if you don't use G-Sync. But just to make sure you don't have some odd settings there.
2) Get GPU-Z and check the card is running in the right PCIE mode. Probably 16x 3.0 but to cause these problems it has to be something extreme, so 8x or suchlike is probably still okay. Regardless, post your result for that. The PCI-E mode is shown on the main GPU-Z screen ("Graphics card") in the middle right under 'Bus Interface'.
3) Set up MSI Afterburner (or EVGA Precision) and monitor gpu usuage and gpu clock speed. Run 3dmark and check that the card is under 99% usage load throughout the test and watch the clockspeed. We will see some fluctuations due to power limit but since it's watercooled and temps are fine (but check temps too, during the run), I would not expect it to drop below 1850-1900mhz during the test, or thereabouts.

Do these things and report back and we'll continue.

Associate
I did what you adviced me, thank you!
The GPU is set now at +76 MHz for GPU Core and +459 MHz for GPU Mem.
I dont know where or how exactly to set the "default" for Nvidia 3d settings but i open the Nvdia controll panel and there i found something like "restore default" and did it... Also there is a refresh rate and i have to chose between 6o Hz and 100Hz. I left 60.
Then i got GPU-Z, see the screenshot, it says my card is overclocked and working on proper PCI-E speed, i think.
But then, during the 3dMark, the MSI Afterburner overlay it shows the base frequencys, not any fluctuation, it shows 1481 MHz for core and 5468 for mem. Should i set something in MSI Afterburner to show the actual frequency or is something not working properly?
Cheers!

If it shows 1481MHz for the duration of the test, then it's definitely not working correctly. On the plus side, your low scores would be consistent with a 1080Ti running ~1500mhz. Based on that and your GPU-Z screenshot, I'd say the odds are that the card is probably genuine - but it may be faulty.

What's the temperature of the card during the 3dmark run?

Don't worry too much about +76mhz on gpu core and all that - your card isn't even boosting to what we'd expect at stock, let alone overclocked. First we need it boosting correctly. This may involve a vbios flash but let's investigate all the details first.

Associate
Additionally, I'd like you to open the 'Sensors' tab on GPU-Z during a 3dmark run.

Scroll down to 'PerfCap Reason' and monitor this during the 3dmark run. If possible, take a screenshot of it at the end of the run.

Associate
OP
The temps are 29-30 celsius, 29 at the begining of test, 30 at the end of test.
I will try to use Asus Tweak instead MSI AB and come back with info.
Cheers!

l.e. how can i open and use GPU-Z during 3DMark test without intrerupting the benchmark? I dont have a secondary monitor / display

Soldato
You can use gpuz while u test just let it run then check the sensors tab after and on the gpu clock click it twice i think to show max all the time then u can show a screenie of that if u want etc.

Whats ur psu btw, could it be it starved of power as the boost takes lots of factors like that one to boost, tho if u have a decent 600w or better thats probs not the case then.

Theres newer drivers btw. Oh and maybe try DDU to clean out old drivers if you havent done it yet, in safe mode.

Does it need a bios update? Doubt u need one for such a mb that you have but i noticed one from 2018 that says it improves a lot, no mention of gpu i think but.

Does pressing the ? on the right side (near pci bus info) of gpuz (the 3d render test) not show the gpu at boost clocks in the sensors tab?

Last edited:
Soldato
Try a different benchmark to double check
Firestrike or unigine etc

On a side note how are you measuring those temperatures as they are too low
I know Aisuite will be wrong if using that for the cpu
But 33c max on full load is also too low for a gpu
Around 30c is a typical idle for a gpu
45c to 50c under heavy load would be what I would expect
Unless your fans are at 100%
Or its Very cold in your room

Associate
OP
I know the temps are too low but i dont know if there the problem comes... who knows...
The GPU is watercooled. Even so, i know the temp are too low, as in my room is now 21.5 celsius, the water temp is now 28 celsius and MSI and GPU-Z shows, both of them, 22 celsius.... Defo something is wrong.

Try a different benchmark to double check
Firestrike or unigine etc

On a side note how are you measuring those temperatures as they are too low
I know Aisuite will be wrong if using that for the cpu
But 33c max on full load is also too low for a gpu
Around 30c is a typical idle for a gpu
45c to 50c under heavy load would be what I would expect
Unless your fans are at 100%
Or its Very cold in your room

Soldato
I know the temps are too low but i dont know if there the problem comes... who knows...
The GPU is watercooled. Even so, i know the temp are too low, as in my room is now 21.5 celsius, the water temp is now 28 celsius and MSI and GPU-Z shows, both of them, 22 celsius.... Defo something is wrong.
Sorry to add temps to the problem

Leave those until later on

Try a different benchmark to see if it replicates the problem or not

Soldato
Actually if u can post a screenshot of gpuz sensors tab open make sure all the boxes are clicked on twice to show max (says max in tiny letters) run the gpuz render test for 3 mins or so and let us see. Mainly the sensors for temps, power draw and clocks, rest not so much.

Soldato
Check if windows is on balanced or performance power settings too.

Do some official 3d mark results and post the link not screenshots if poss. I.e Firestrike (ultra? i duno which one someone else can say which)

Test at default clock speed and remove any oc on the core or mem, first we need to get ur defaults results checked.

Associate
OP
Do you have a link for "GPU-Z render test" please?
I will do this then i will try a DDU driver clean. Till yesterday i had (NZXT) CAM software and yesterday i uninstall it, to be sure is not interfere with MSI AfterBurn, as CAM have as well, a tab for overclocking GPU... Who knows.... maybe that CAM software is to be blamed.... i have it because i have a NZXT Fan Hub in my rig.

Actually if u can post a screenshot of gpuz sensors tab open make sure all the boxes are clicked on twice to show max (says max in tiny letters) run the gpuz render test for 3 mins or so and let us see. Mainly the sensors for temps, power draw and clocks, rest not so much.

Soldato
Its built into gpuz. As said, on ur screenshot u posted, see the ? near PCI info box near right side, click the ? that opens a new window and click start render test. Then go to sensors tab on gpuz and watch the clocks value go up and the red bar raise up.

Never heard of that cam software, i wouldnt use it tbh, id just use gpuz or hwinfo or afterburner, not all at the same time of course lol.

Back
Top Bottom