"Professionally" Installed Patio Door with a Draught...

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Had our patio door installed recently and had no end of troubles. After 10 separate visits to fix plastering, threshold and a draught from the seals we are still left with a disappointment that can only be matched by opening a whisky shaped Christmas present only to find a tube of tennis balls.

I took a quick video of the gap at the top of the doors to illustrate. They claim to have adjusted then to the maximum. Is this acceptable?

Cheers me dears!
Lee

https://youtu.be/pYniy1azHrI

Soldato
I take it you feel the draught from those points?
Im a bit surprised how big a gap that is.

If there is a draught it is unacceptable, however if there isn't then that's possibly the design/style of the doors.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah there a draft there. I guess what I really want to know is does the frame need to be re-seated? They have adjusted as much as they can.

You can fit 2 playing cards up there so I guess about 1-2mm gap.

This has been going on since august now :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
£1600 but wall needed removing and some plaster work and threshold.

Also was done in finance for convenience.

I think I need to get FENSA involved in this. Thanks for the replies guys.

Associate
Assuming the hinges have been correctly adjusted for any compression adjustment they have (although many don't and those that do usually have on a mm or so) then it could be the hinges have the wrong spacers under them if there are spacers present.

Many doors use similar makes of hinges but have a spacer behind them to set the correct compression for the frame style and thickness. If the wrong spacer is used then then you could get that issue.

I once had a door fitted with one design of hinge bolt and a different design of plate to receive the bolt which almost jammed it on closing. Took me some time to convince them it was incorrect and not just 'stiff as new' but eventually 5 mins work changing the bolt part to match and all was well.

Soldato
that alone should have been a warning

Everybody I know who has had windows/doors fitted. even via the better known long established, companies has run into problems because the fitters are always in a such a tearing hurry when they do the job.

They install, but do not carry out the (Time consuming) attention to detail that is required for a good fit.

Soldato
I can't imagine any context where he clothing makes sense.

Maybe he's a pirate?
Everybody I know who has had windows/doors fitted. even via the better known long established, companies has run into problems because the fitters are always in a such a tearing hurry when they do the job.

They install, but do not carry out the (Time consuming) attention to detail that is required for a good fit.

The only failure on our installation after 10 years is one of the glass panels steamed up inside, the patio doors & all the windows are as good as new otherwise

We chose a small local firm rather than a big national one who probably pay the installers a set rate per install, added to that a lot of them use self employed contractors

Soldato
Looks like the hinges need adjusting,which is a bit odd as `usually` they are adjusted in the factory and fit fine in all the doors i have fitted
Assuming you have adjustable hinges(most upvc doors do)You could have a go but why should you when you have paid for the doors
Do they have FB account or similar Name and shame them on there if you get no joy

Caporegime
my doors have that foam strip around all the edges. windows all have it too. i think the previous owner put them in. some have come off.

it's impossible to find a decent person in any trade these days. they all charge bonkers money. it's a very lucrative market full of monkeys.

i had a guy quote me £400 to install cctv cameras. i had already bought the cameras. all i needed was them installed into the soffits and them to run some ethernet cable to a central point in the attic.

at best it's a £100 job and over within 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom