Taal Volcanic eruption, Philippines

Associate
Wouldn't normally comment on a volcanic eruption so far away, which started yesterday, but in this instance my 16yo daughter is there... on a school trip Diving about 30 miles away, and is now potentially stuck as all flights have been cancelled.... so a father worries. She is taking some amazing photos however!! Just hoping is subsides so she is safe and can come home. Dropping ash and stones in a 10 mile radius at the moment. Fortunately she is south of it, and the winds are currently northerly.

vtFLdbEh.jpg

Fx1kbxkh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Oh wow thats pretty impressive in the picture! Yeah worrying about that is understandable..
I hope things calm down out there for the flights n things for you :)

I imagine also that the whole area is quite used to these minor eruptions...
edit* Well, minor until proven otherwise..

Associate
OP
Oh wow thats pretty impressive in the picture! Yeah worrying about that is understandable..
I hope things calm down out there for the flights n things for you :)

I imagine also that the whole area is quite used to these minor eruptions...
edit* Well, minor until proven otherwise..
Yes, hoping it doesn't get worse, I am suddenly learning a lot about Volcanic gradings / eruptions. currently a Grade 4 eruption. Hoping it doesn't go to Grade 5.... which is 'catastrophic' rather than 'pretty'

Man of Honour
Wonder if anyone has done a 3D plot of the earthquakes yet - looks like quite a complex system with a mixture of very deep activity nearby that is putting stress on the system generally, shallow inflation in the general vicinity and some deep direct magma movement beneath the current eruption.

EDIT: Watching the local news on this is amazing - I hadn't realised they interspersed Filipino and English so much when speaking picking the best/existing words or phrases from either as appropriate in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes, hoping it doesn't get worse, I am suddenly learning a lot about Volcanic gradings / eruptions. currently a Grade 4 eruption. Hoping it doesn't go to Grade 5.... which is 'catastrophic' rather than 'pretty'

The VEI descriptions look like an example of people not understanding how bad it gets. VEI 3 has the description "catastrophic", which doesn't leave much scope for describing more powerful eruptions/explosions. Since evidence has been found of volcanic eruptions/explosions more than 100,000 times as bad as VEI 3, the descriptions of the higher grades are pretty much "we ran out of words extreme enough to fit".

Ree

Ree

Associate
saw this photo last night of it just thought i would share.

8bd5edd2ddac28e137a45686431e819e.png

Back
Top Bottom