Project stardust - VR remake of the 1983 star wars arcade game in VR

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato

As this thread is bigger :D and has more info shall we continue this one.

Well, I tried it on the Quest and what can I say WOW! It put me in the cockpit seat of an X Wing. Its pretty neat to say this is a Uni project. First I tried it via Oculus Link, then click Virtual Desktop and launch the game, then I had to take the headset off to see the Graphic selection window so I tried 1440p Ultra first put the helmet back on and into the game menu it goes. The "Approach" was okay till the explosions then just went sluggish. So I restarted the game at 1080p High and it was much better. The Quest controllers work a treat. Thumb joysticks for pitch yaw on one side and roll on the other. Fire button for lasers. Then Tie Fighters attack. This will make you a bit queasy at first flying but then I got used to it. "Surface" is where you are on the Death Star taking out the Turbo Laser turrets. Then "Trench" sees you make the attack run including "Targetting Computer" which pops out with A button (I think) complete with Obi Wan "Use the force Luke". This is pretty cool looking and I was just doing this in and out for a couple of minutes ignoring the game ! Pressing Thumb joystick button "locks foils in attack position". Its full of Star Wars music and lots of sound bites from the movie. "Follow me Gold Leader" etc etc. A Lucasfilm copyright nightmare!

Next I took out the cable and turned off Oculus Link and tried Virtual Desktop over Wifi link with 1080p High settings and it actually looked better graphics than with Oculus Link. It seemed a bit smoother to me. You can look around the cockpit and move head left/right and look outside. Rather impressed. Not a lot to the game but its the nearest to being in an actual Star Wars VR game sat inside an X Wing cockpit !!!

Soldato
OP
Well, I tried it on the Quest and what can I say WOW! It put me in the cockpit seat of an X Wing. Its pretty neat to say this is a Uni project. First I tried it via Oculus Link, then click Virtual Desktop and launch the game, then I had to take the headset off to see the Graphic selection window so I tried 1440p Ultra first put the helmet back on and into the game menu it goes. The "Approach" was okay till the explosions then just went sluggish. So I restarted the game at 1080p High and it was much better.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing for a university project! I might have to try dropping the resolution as I left it at default and or seemed to run really poorly on my Oculus Quest link.

Best grab it while you can as I doubt it'll be long until Disney's legal team are on the case!

Soldato
I DM'd the author last night just to give him my thoughts on the Quest performance and he told me he is trying to get in touch with someone at Lucasfilm to see if this can be developed into a proper game but he has hit a brick wall so if its out there might be a chance they take notice. It was featured in a couple of mags and online over Christmas and the downloads took him over his limit. He is also interested in creating a native version for the Quest and is talking to the Sidequest guys.

Soldato
The dev making this game is starting to create something wonderful out of this it could end up being one of the best Star Wars Games. Why on earth Lucasarts have not got this guy a deal I dont know. His original release date for V1.0 was 4th May but looks like it might be pushed back.
https://twitter.com/XWingVR

He recently asked for Voice Recording volunteers for the pilots on both sides and I've ended up being a B Wing Squadron Commander!

Associate
The dev making this game is starting to create something wonderful out of this it could end up being one of the best Star Wars Games. Why on earth Lucasarts have not got this guy a deal I dont know. His original release date for V1.0 was 4th May but looks like it might be pushed back.
https://twitter.com/XWingVR

He recently asked for Voice Recording volunteers for the pilots on both sides and I've ended up being a B Wing Squadron Commander!
Wow well done,i'd volunteer too,but a Brummie in space,doesn't seem to fit somehow,lol.

Associate
Soldato
There are several of the same type so it plays random.

[B-Wing Pilot]: B-Wing squadron, standing by.
[B-Wing Pilot]: We don't have enough fighters to take on fleet of that size! (scared)
[B-Wing Pilot]: Five point five, I see them!
[B-Wing Pilot]: For the rebellion! (angrily)
[B-Wing Pilot]: Moving into attack formation.
[B-Wing Pilot]: Reporting Front deflector shield damage, attempting to dock with main cruiser.
[B-Wing Pilot]: *Death Scream*

Back
Top Bottom