• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
You say this but I have activated Windows 10 countless times using the same key, that’s including changing motherboards a few times between gigabyte, asus and MSI. It was an OEM key from eBay. My luck may run out soon enough at which point I’ll buy another £5 key.

It's ebay - I wouldn't be surprised if you have a full retail key they sent you by mistake.

Man of Honour
Anyone else using a 3900X with a Gigabyte X370 board? I'm having issues trying to get it stable with my K7 board but no matter what I do, it randomly restarts after a short while, whether on idle or load. Even did a fresh install of Windows and cleared CMOS to reset BIOS with the bare minimum hardware but still the same thing. This is with the latest F50a BIOS based on 1.0.0.4 B. Temps are fine on both CPU and VRM so no idea what's causing it. Placing my 1600X back in and it's rock solid stable.

I've seen people even running the 3950X without issues on the same board so I'm completely baffled on what's causing the restarts.
You using Kaspersky by any chance? I had a similar thing happen with my TR1920X, as soon as I uninstalled it, problems disappeared.

Soldato
Anyone else using a 3900X with a Gigabyte X370 board? I'm having issues trying to get it stable with my K7 board but no matter what I do, it randomly restarts after a short while, whether on idle or load. Even did a fresh install of Windows and cleared CMOS to reset BIOS with the bare minimum hardware but still the same thing. This is with the latest F50a BIOS based on 1.0.0.4 B. Temps are fine on both CPU and VRM so no idea what's causing it. Placing my 1600X back in and it's rock solid stable.

I've seen people even running the 3950X without issues on the same board so I'm completely baffled on what's causing the restarts.

My guess would be power draw of the cpu. Mobo isn't coping.

Is the 3900x listed as compatible with your board on the gigabyte website?

Soldato

You install latest AMD chipset drivers?

What does it say in the event viewer in Windows prior to the crash?.

BIOS settings that work on one BIOS wont work on later BIOS's as the later BIOS'd have expanded with more options in so wont load older BIOS's properly causing instability. On a later BIOS delete all your saved BIOS's and start by re entering all the settings in the latest BIOS manually. Also in Some BIOS's menus have moved so settings saved on an older BIOS may not port across perfectly to a newer BIOS.

What RAM and what speed you trying to run at? Is it stable with RAM at default BIOS speeds ie 1200Mhz IF and 2400Mhz RAM?

Soldato
My guess would be power draw of the cpu. Mobo isn't coping.

Is the 3900x listed as compatible with your board on the gigabyte website?

It's on the list since the 3000 series launched. I may change motherboards in future anyway since I have a feeling it could be that.

You install latest AMD chipset drivers?

What does it say in the event viewer in Windows prior to the crash?.

BIOS settings that work on one BIOS wont work on later BIOS's as the later BIOS'd have expanded with more options in so wont load older BIOS's properly causing instability. On a later BIOS delete all your saved BIOS's and start by re entering all the settings in the latest BIOS manually. Also in Some BIOS's menus have moved so settings saved on an older BIOS may not port across perfectly to a newer BIOS.

What RAM and what speed you trying to run at? Is it stable with RAM at default BIOS speeds ie 1200Mhz IF and 2400Mhz RAM?

Nothing in Event Viewer, just the usual power loss error 41 with nothing else pointing to any hints on what's causing it.

I mentioned in another post that I cleared CMOS after flashing F50a when I changed CPU, so it was all on default settings with no changes carried over.

It's not stable with even XMP off which defaults at 2400MHz. IF has not been touched so it's on stock too.

And yes, latest AMD chipset was installed.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally got my 3600X installed, hurrah!

Seems to be running ok, just planning on using this stock at least to begin with and see how it performs.

I’m seeing some funky voltages and idle temps though, I’d read a few people complaining about this on here so it seems ‘normal’ (or at least common) but I’m not 100% convinced. Idle temps are spiking between low 30’s and high 40’s, they normally sit around 50-60 whilst I ran a few benchmarks. Voltages seem worse though with it sat at between 1.080 and 1.480, this is just idling and doesn’t look like it’s idling much! This is with HWINFO64 by the way.

I’m using the Ryzen balanced plan at the moment as I was with the 1600 before is this what the majority are using now? Does this look pretty normal do you think?

Edit: Well the more I read the more it appears to be working as expected. If I close any other monitoring tools like HWINFO64/CAM etc then CPUZ shows the voltage dropping right down to 0.2 when idling as you'd expect so I don't think there's an issue here. I just need to give it a good working over and see how temps look under load. As long as that's OK I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm at 3600 CL16 and get 69.4ns so I would definitely expect your to be better. Check your IF frequency matches your DRAM frequency (1800 MHz) and sub-timings as others suggest.

Takes too long playing around with stuff so enough for me for now i think.

0003.png

Soldato
Managed to get good consistent temps with my 3950x, everything is at stock so i'd like to start overclocking it.

Only thing i have done so far is enabled the XMP profile for my 3600MHz memory, seems to be running ok and hasn't crashed yet. (Screenshot was taken after XMP enabled)

ymTCtw6h.jpg

Soldato
Yah, 1.35v is kinda low. Try 1.4v. Buildziod did a review on the mosfets of that board around the 9:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t6LP9glKmc

Well 1.35V Vcore has been stable for me and temps are a little lower (at least no thermal shut downs!) - I guess the NH-U12S isn't really sufficient for this CPU under heavy loads.

Running Cinebench R15 I get a score of 3890, temps bump up to about 82c under full load - probably wouldn't work with Prime 95 on all cores but then again that's not a realistic day to day workload, so I'll leave it as is for now.

Might order some new WC tubes, coolant etc. and get my EK loop set up again in future

Associate
Some were talking of the windows key activation earlier in this thread, Just tried to activate Windows 10 on the new machine i built over the weekend (OEM Key) and despite it being previously upgraded to win 10 on my old machine it wouldn't activate. So phoned Microsoft got put through to India and after 30 or so minutes of messing around got a new key from them and job sorted..

Soldato
Well 1.35V Vcore has been stable for me and temps are a little lower (at least no thermal shut downs!) - I guess the NH-U12S isn't really sufficient for this CPU under heavy loads.

Yah, 1.35v is kinda low. Try 1.4v. Buildziod did a review on the mosfets of that board around the 9:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t6LP9glKmc

Without wanting to scare you, only 50% of the Ryzen 3000 can do all core 1.325v safely without starting a pretty rapid silicon degredation that destroys the chips within months.

https://old.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/ejd5c9/1325v_is_not_safe_for_zen_2/

That doesn't apply when CPUs are left to boost on their own.

Soldato
Some were talking of the windows key activation earlier in this thread, Just tried to activate Windows 10 on the new machine i built over the weekend (OEM Key) and despite it being previously upgraded to win 10 on my old machine it wouldn't activate. So phoned Microsoft got put through to India and after 30 or so minutes of messing around got a new key from them and job sorted..

New mobo that's why. Surprised they do this, will try on my new build, whenever that is.

Associate
New mobo that's why. Surprised they do this, will try on my new build, whenever that is.

Well after me saying it was never an issue, I encountered it building my son a new Ryzen PC from an sandybridge 2500k, didnt bother phoning as a new key was under a tenner so cant say its much of an issue all round. (Win Pro)

Back
Top Bottom