• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
The console hardware will have been finished a while back and developers already have development machines, so the hardware exists and has for quite a while, It will be 2060s levels of performance i guess.
I would also guess at 2060 levels of performance in the real-world, maybe 2060 Super if they have done a very good job.

Engineering samples. Not the finished product.

Use some knouse... do you really think they send out engineering samples that will materially change until the console is launched? Devs now have access to what is going to be pretty much final specs and this is necessary as they are now in full swing developing titles for them. Any changes will likely not be material or significant.

So, yeah I can easily see the console GPU been more powerful than a 2080, they are almost there now with the 5700XT. In fact I would be very disappointed if it isn't more powerful than the 2080. Especially as there is the promise of Ray Tracing as well.
Really... you can "easily see it" can you? To me your lack of experience with PC hardware is clear to read.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I thought it was already confirmed a 12tTF (or a navi equivalent TF) for the Xbox series X?

Xbox said the GPU was twice as powerful as the one in the One X, which is already 6TF.

It's also rumoured to have 56CU which is way more than the 5700XT, so if true it's already ahead of a 2080 even before the fact that console GPUs tend to punch above their weight

Soldato
I thought it was already confirmed a 12tTF (or a navi equivalent TF) for the Xbox series X?

Xbox said the GPU was twice as powerful as the one in the One X, which is already 6TF.

It's also rumoured to have 56CU which is way more than the 5700XT, so if true it's already ahead of a 2080 even before the fact that console GPUs tend to punch above their weight

Yeah he was talking power not performance. Nvidia generally need less TF than AMD to to hit the same performance level. My guess is we are looking at 5700xt performance in the console maximum, which has a similar TF figure to 2080. In all fairness that would still be very good going.

Soldato
I would also guess at 2060 levels of performance in the real-world, maybe 2060 Super if they have done a very good job.

Use some knouse... do you really think they send out engineering samples that will materially change until the console is launched? Devs now have access to what is going to be pretty much final specs and this is necessary as they are now in full swing developing titles for them. Any changes will likely not be material or significant.

Really... you can "easily see it" can you? To me your lack of experience with PC hardware is clear to read.

I can only laugh at this post. That you think the next get consoles are only going be 2060 levels of performance when AMD already have cards that are faster than that. Faster than the 2060 Super I might add.

LOL, you tried to sound condescending but you really just came across as quite foolish.

Soldato
Yeah he was talking power not performance. Nvidia generally need less TF than AMD to to hit the same performance level. My guess is we are looking at 5700xt performance in the console maximum, which has a similar TF figure to 2080. In all fairness that would still be very good going.

Atm TF performance is pretty much on par. This was true when compared to GCN, if you compare a 5700xt to a 2070 Super with actual clocks and not the stated Tflops from each team out the box they are pretty much on par now.

Soldato
I can only laugh at this post. That you think the next get consoles are only going be 2060 levels of performance when AMD already have cards that are faster than that. Faster than the 2060 Super I might add.

LOL, you tried to sound condescending but you really just came across as quite foolish.

I'll be surprised if we will see top end part performance from a console (like we had with the 360/ps3) ever again. Saying that I don't think they are going to be supper conservative like with the PS4/XB1 (HD7770/7790 like GPUS in a time where the 290x has been released).

Caporegime

Yes, they have discrete cards that are faster than a 2600 Super and take up a lot of space. The relatively recently released 5700XT (which is a bit faster than a 2060 Super) is big and long, has a loud blower fan and draws up to 225 watts... and you believe that they will somehow shrink that level of power into a relatively small console box with limited airflow? AMD should hire you as an engineer.

Quoted specs and hype are one thing, the practicalities of physics and thermal dynamics are another.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be surprised if we will see top end part performance from a console (like we had with the 360/ps3) ever again. Saying that I don't think they are going to be supper conservative like with the PS4/XB1 (HD7770/7790 like GPUS in a time where the 290x has been released).

It's won't be top end performance by the time the consoles are released though. Both Nvidia and AMD will have new GPUs released or due to be released by that time.

Soldato
Yes, they have discrete cards that are faster than a 2600 Super and take up a lot of space. The relatively recently released 5700XT (which is a bit faster than a 2060 Super) is big and long, has a loud blower fan and draws up to 225 watts... and you believe that they will somehow shrink that level of power into a relatively small console box with limited airflow? AMD should hire you as an engineer.

Quoted specs and hype are one thing, the practicalities of physics and thermal dynamics are another.

First, the Xbox X is estimated to have nearly twice the volume of the Xbox one X. So that's a huge boost for any airflow problems.
Second, it's going to based on RDNA2 which is supposedly going to have a lot of efficiency improvements
Third, the SoC is going to be manufactured on the 7nm+ EUV process which again means more performance and power efficiency.

Soldato
First, the Xbox X is estimated to have nearly twice the volume of the Xbox one X. So that's a huge boost for any airflow problems.
Second, it's going to based on RDNA2 which is supposedly going to have a lot of efficiency improvements
Third, the SoC is going to be manufactured on the 7nm+ EUV process which again means more performance and power efficiency.

Not to mention that sites have guessed at the size of the chip from images, the majority of sites put the chip in the 400mm2 range. The majority of the chip space will go to the gpu, we know the 5700xt is 250mm2 so my guess would be a higher spec than the 5700xt for the gpu along with RDNA 2 performance increases which should make it pretty potent comparing to what we have in the pc space atm.

Caporegime
Not to mention that sites have guessed at the size of the chip from images, the majority of sites put the chip in the 400mm2 range. The majority of the chip space will go to the gpu, we know the 5700xt is 250mm2 so my guess would be a higher spec than the 5700xt for the gpu along with RDNA 2 performance increases which should make it pretty potent comparing to what we have in the pc space atm.
Let's revisit these posts when official specs are released and we can see what the truth is. I'll set a reminder with a link to these posts in it and if I am far wrong I will even happily post and say so. :)

Soldato
Let's revisit these posts when official specs are released and we can see what the truth is. I'll set a reminder with a link to these posts in it and if I am far wrong I will even happily post and say so. :)

No problem. My comment is based on the xbox series x chip. So far i have no idea on the ps5. The word is Microsoft are going all out to have the most powerful console.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
No news on Ampere? Thought there must have been a leak or something due to the flurry of recent posts. :(

Turns out you’re all talking about AMD’s GPU in the next gen of consoles instead!

Associate
No news on Ampere? Thought there must have been a leak or something due to the flurry of recent posts. :(

Turns out you’re all talking about AMD’s GPU in the next gen of consoles instead!

The only reason there has been a few rumours leak out about Nvidia's next gen is because AMD have been getting all the press lately and Jensen was feeling left out and wanted to remind everyone how totes awesome his company are and how much faster a 2060 is compared to the new consoles that nobody has seen or even knows the specs of. :p

Maybe Nvidia are a little concerned about what AMD have coming next as I'm sure they have an idea. Or worse, they don't have a clue. Getting an announcement out about ampere before AMD drop their next cards would shine the light back on Nvidia and make people think twice about anything AMD have to offer.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

+1

Soldato
..the only thing that will change at this stage in the game, are clock speeds on the CPU & GPU. Too late to change anything at the hardware level.

..and clock speeds are only likely to vary by a 100-200Mhz (up or down).

ps5 clock speeds have varied greatly on the various submitted engineering boxes.
We've seen 1000mhz and all the way up to 2000mhz on the ps5's gpu.

And a couple weeks ago we had a windows central leak said the next gen console gpu core has 8 more CUs than 5700xt. So that's 48 CUs at up to 2000mhz on engineering samples.

and a couple months back one of the engineering samples was spotted on the online database of the 3D Mark Fire strike benchmark, scoring the same as a RTX2080

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom