• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do i go with intel i5 9600k or AMD ryzen 5 3600?

Soldato
I recently got an i5 9600K. The ONLY reason I got it is because I had a spare Z390-I motherboard and thought I'd do a cheapish, middle ground build with a load of other spare components I had.

I got the i5 for sub £200 but even then, I felt ripped off. If I didn't already have a board, I'd be going AMD without hesitation.

Associate
I would really like to see a good review of a mid range build with stuff like the i5 and 3600 and an OS environment setup as it should be and would be if someone was using it.

So not only all the updates but all the sw that comes with a system preloaded (all that RGB gunk), a decent virus checker and malware scanner and stuff like steam,onedrive ect in the background.

Because its all well and good isolating the hardware and testing stuff independently but what is it going to be like in the real world under real world load - ya know like intel keeps harping on about... :p

Soldato
If the security updates are installed for the intel cpu, this is not the case though. Whether or not an average user decides to patch the vunerabilities is upto them, ofc.
I thought these security vulnerability updates only affected the performance on hyperthreaded cpu's so i7 and above? Or at least where it hit the hardest and killed the most performance.

Caporegime
I would really like to see a good review of a mid range build with stuff like the i5 and 3600 and an OS environment setup as it should be and would be if someone was using it.

So not only all the updates but all the sw that comes with a system preloaded (all that RGB gunk), a decent virus checker and malware scanner and stuff like steam,onedrive ect in the background.

Because its all well and good isolating the hardware and testing stuff independently but what is it going to be like in the real world under real world load - ya know like intel keeps harping on about... :p

Yeah. Any piece of software running while you're gaming will hit the 9600K much more than the 3600.

I don't know about you but i don't run my system as clean as they are when reviewing these CPU's, Discord is always running, usually some other chat app and often Youtube in the background. I often listen to LBC or Talk Radio while gaming.

Soldato

From an intel user at the moment like myself having an i5 paired with a 2080, Icue, ambientLED and RGB fusion running, antivirus, steam, logitech hub, msi afterburner and a few hw monitoring programs all running together... I can say its actually quite a smooth experience. No stutters or judders, in game its fine as to be expected. CPU temps at a nice 28c idle (watercooled system) and tbf it feels a lot like my i5 3570k when it was in is prime. I do think though that maybe i should have gone for the 3600x for longevity as i have a feeling this isn't gonna last me anywhere near as long as my old 3570k did.

Caporegime
From an intel user at the moment like myself having an i5 paired with a 2080, Icue, ambientLED and RGB fusion running, antivirus, steam, logitech hub, msi afterburner and a few hw monitoring programs all running together... I can say its actually quite a smooth experience. No stutters or judders, in game its fine as to be expected. CPU temps at a nice 28c idle (watercooled system) and tbf it feels a lot like my i5 3570k when it was in is prime. I do think though that maybe i should have gone for the 3600x for longevity as i have a feeling this isn't gonna last me anywhere near as long as my old 3570k did.

I had a 4690K, it was fine with the 970 but as soon as i dropped the 1070 in with it a couple of my regular games went to #### with very high CPU load and an experience that was not smooth and a little laggy.

At 4K with everything maxedout, you can't see the input lag but you can see the micro stutter when the gun is loading. anything less that 4K the performance was so bad it was unplayable.
Watch for the CPU load in the OSD.

No i don't usually play it on my own :p

Didn't want to blow £300 on another 4 core CPU from Intel even if it did have hyper threading.

Then Ryzen came along, went right for the 1600 and never looked back.... still using the same now 3 year old motherboard i got with the 1600. :)

6sR6qPL.png
B0KnK71.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a 4690K, it was fine with the 970 but as soon as i dropped the 1070 in with it a couple of my regular games went to #### with very high CPU load and an experience that was not smooth and a little laggy.

At 4K with everything maxedout, you can't see the input lag but you can see the micro stutter when the gun is loading. anything less that 4K the performance was so bad it was unplayable.

Didn't want to blow £300 on another 4 core CPU from Intel even if it did have hyper threading.

Then Ryzen came along, went right for the 1600 and never looked back.... still using the same now 3 year old motherboard i got with the 1600. :)

6sR6qPL.png
B0KnK71.jpg

I see what you mean there, you can clearly see the micro stutter.. that would bug me to no end (Really ruins the experience).

The cpu usage actually worries me a little.. I'm already seeing around 70-80% cpu usage in a few games i play, Red dead 2 being one of them with the gpu being maxed out around 98-99% most of the time. With the way things are going, i'm going to be hitting a barrier again very soon it seems.

I think its fantastic how AMD stuck with their word on keeping the AM4 platform alive for so long, the options to upgrade is always there without having to fork out a small fortune for a new board with each generation of cpu's.

Btw what game is that in the spoiler? Looks like star citizen? The cpu usage is pretty even across all cores! Pretty heavy multi threaded game.

Caporegime
I see what you mean there, you can clearly see the micro stutter.. that would bug me to no end (Really ruins the experience).

The cpu usage actually worries me a little.. I'm already seeing around 70-80% cpu usage in a few games i play, Red dead 2 being one of them with the gpu being maxed out around 98-99% most of the time. With the way things are going, i'm going to be hitting a barrier again very soon it seems.

I think its fantastic how AMD stuck with their word on keeping the AM4 platform alive for so long, the options to upgrade is always there without having to fork out a small fortune for a new board with each generation of cpu's.

Btw what game is that in the spoiler? Looks like star citizen? The cpu usage is pretty even across all cores! Pretty heavy multi threaded game.

It is Star Citizen, its incredibly well threaded, i've seen people with 3900X and all 24 threads evenly loaded, it needs a high thread count CPU's and a half decent GPU, and an SSD to run well, if / when i upgrade my GPU, probably in a few months, then i'll see how my 3600 holds up in it. :o

Soldato
It is Star Citizen, its incredibly well threaded, i've seen people with 3900X and all 24 threads evenly loaded, it needs a high thread count CPU's and a half decent GPU, and an SSD to run well, if / when i upgrade my GPU, probably in a few months, then i'll see how my 3600 holds up in it. :o
Pledged to this a long long time ago but my 680 (yes its been that long) really didn't run it well with its 2gb vram back then. Haven't been back to it since but you know what! gonna give this another whirl and see how the 6 cores and a 2080 will run it.

Are you running at 4K? Im gonna guess yes based on what you mentioned before.

Soldato
I thought these security vulnerability updates only affected the performance on hyperthreaded cpu's so i7 and above? Or at least where it hit the hardest and killed the most performance.
Hmmm, I just read that the new ones of these already have a hardware fix (instead of a software one), so the performance is hardily hit. So apologies for my poor infomation.

Associate
Ryzen 3600, no doubt.
Intel EOL socket, and the next generation doesn't seen to be promising much.
My 3600 paired with a RTX 2080, no issues. Plenty of CPU on 99% of the situations.

Soldato

Ah right, I didn't realise you were referring to the DRAM Calculator. I've got that and started to change stuff on my PC, but ended up having to cancel as I didn't have enough time to dedicate to ensuring it all worked, so I'm back at stock speeds for the moment.

Soldato
Hmmm, I just read that the new ones of these already have a hardware fix (instead of a software one), so the performance is hardily hit. So apologies for my poor infomation.
No apology needed at all mate, just clarifying information. Good to know the hardware fix doesn't impact it as much as the software did, seriously devalues these chips otherwise (more so than they already are against its competitor).

Associate
3600 all day. Outside of the 9900k/ks/kf nothing in Intels line up is worth it.

Only get the 9900k variant if you plan to oc and enjoy it.

Keep in mind the 9900k came out late 2018 so not exactly new.

Caporegime
Pledged to this a long long time ago but my 680 (yes its been that long) really didn't run it well with its 2gb vram back then. Haven't been back to it since but you know what! gonna give this another whirl and see how the 6 cores and a 2080 will run it.

Are you running at 4K? Im gonna guess yes based on what you mentioned before.

1440P, it still needs a lot of optimization, its 'yes' still in alpha, to give an idea of performance, depending on where you are it varies a lot, this is about as bad as it gets. My NVMe is not the fastest so there is some hitching when stuff is streaming in and out.

Skip to about 45 seconds, i'm just staring at the station pratting about with the GPU overclock until then.

This is a good review of the game as it currently is.

Back
Top Bottom