spec my dad a new psu :)

Soldato
hey guys/lassies recently gave my dad my old pc parts to do a massive upgrade to his system and im worried about his psu which is quite old.

specs are :

ozc stealth extreme unsure of wattage on the psu it's over 600 though.
gigabyte g1.sniper z170 board
i5 6600k stock
rx480 8gig reference stock
8 gig ddr 4 2666 soon to be 16gb 3200
5 or 6 hdd's i think

think that is about it for specs so any advice on what psu to get would be much appreciated, he says something good so not low end but not high end either.

maybe around the 100 quid mark :)

Soldato
Soldato
OP
cheers guys yeh when ever i upgrade this 5700 pulse in years he will get it so will need something to handle more,

thanks for the help ill point him to the 650 watt sea sonic unless theres something with a bit more headroom :)

oh you must have typed that when i was typing that corsair is tempting :)

cheers guys :)

Soldato
OP
just got told he want's more watts for future proofing......

argh, he likes the corsair one though :p

looks like he likes the sound of something about 700 750 watt and is it true seasonic make the better corsair ones?

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
The 650W version of that Seasonic Snow Silent was available for just over £90 up until recently, and it's more than enough for pretty much any system as stated by @tamzzy . While a good unit it's worth understanding that the reason it has a 'sale' price like that is due to units not shipping, people aren't willing to spend that much money on a PSU usually so OCUK ended up overstocked with them.

Your dad might want a huge PSU but frankly a 650W PSU is "huge" for most modern systems.

Also, don't fall into the trap that X company always makes great units. Seasonic has made some garbage hardware, almost every company involved in tech has, don't buy blindly based on name.

If I were you or your father I'd buy the Corsair 650W RM unit, or something similar in price.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The 650W version of that Seasonic Snow Silent was available for just over £90 up until recently, and it's more than enough for pretty much any system as stated by @tamzzy . While a good unit it's worth understanding that the reason it has a 'sale' price like that is due to units not shipping, people aren't willing to spend that much money on a PSU usually so OCUK ended up overstocked with them.

Your dad might want a huge PSU but frankly a 650W PSU is "huge" for most modern systems.

Also, don't fall into the trap that X company always makes great units. Seasonic has made some garbage hardware, almost every company involved in tech has, don't buy blindly based on name.

If I were you or your father I'd buy the Corsair 650W RM unit, or something similar in price.

thanks for the advice and i agree, i have been telling him that my current system is drawing less power than systems used to, my psu is nothing special just a 750watt semi modular corsair thingy as my old 600 watt one went snap crackle and pop about 4 years ago and had to buy something quick :)

might grab my self a new one while im at it :)

i told him ill talk to him when were both sober later, tbh all the suggested ones sound awesome :D

thanks guys very much appreciated :)

edit: 2 min talk to him and hes like fair enough corsair 650 watt it is :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
That 650 Snow Silent was the Platinum version, not Titanium version.

That Seasonic I linked is rated extremely high by JonnyGuru, as are all the Prime and X series units before it.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/07/03/seasonic-prime-ultra-750-titanium-power-supply/6/

I never mentioned rating, not sure why you're pointing that out. Even that aside, those ratings are borderline meaningless and do not necessarily equate to quality. They're worth taking into account if you're for some reason running hundreds of them at once, otherwise the savings from a bronze-platinum PSU power-wise are laughable.

The Snow Silent is indeed excellent, but for 99% of users I would not say it was worth the extra £60 over something like a Corsair 650RM.

Last edited:
Soldato
otherwise the savings from a bronze-platinum PSU power-wise are laughable.

Actually an office computer that's on around 10 hours per day, with 100w average usage, after 10 years a Gold PSU would save around £50 in electric over a Bronze.

However a gaming computer that's using significantly more power, could save £100 - £150+ on electric over same period

Above is for gold, if you have a titanium saving would be even higher.

That Seasonic titanium I linked with £70 off in sale, over 10 years the electric saving would cover the entire PSU cost for most users here.

On top of this the better PSU's are more stable, so you can overclock better, or you can choose to under-volt more if running stock. My workstation PC is using an i7 8700 with Seasonic P660 Platinum, CPU-Z shows core voltage only 1.044v under load testing, and 0.638v at idle, this low voltage is due to excellent ripple from the Seasonic, again saves electric and reduces fan activity.

Other advantage is because of the efficiently, the PSU is dead silent, very important when your sitting 4 feet away from the computer.

I also have a theory that better regulated PSU's extend the life of other computer hardware, as voltage regulation on the motherboard and various other components do less work as the DC voltage is already very well regulated.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom