Porsche Cayman - Dying

Associate
Hi all

Iv had my 2014 Caymen since a year old. I average 5/6k pa. Well maintained, Porsche MOT and services. I have the extended warrenty so its passed the 1'11 check twice, the most recent check was circa a year ago.

Left it parked for 3 weeks and upon starting an error on the dash showed: 'Battery low, please turn key'. Started fine since then.

BUT

All day the the PCM keeps crashing every 20-30 mins. Turns itself off and back on.

Any thoughts?! Im worried.... :(

Soldato
Modern cars are highly sensitive to battery fluctuations and it can throw all kinds of problems up, even though the battery might have enough power to start the engine.

OcUK Staff
Its picking up low voltage at the battery, hence the car is thinking there is an issue and hence all the electrical style gremlins.

Either try charging battery or get a new battery and when leaving car for long periods put it on a trickle charger.

Caporegime
Longest I leave mine for this very reason is about 2 weeks. Last time I did I got the same warning but it only showed itself by the seat memory functions not working and the 12v sockets being disabled. Took it for a good run and it went away then hooked it up to the charger and fully conditioned the battery.

Soldato
Similar symptoms to mine including the PCM rebooting frequently when my battery was dying/dead, about £300 for a new one inc. fitting. The Moll batteries they use don't have a great reputation but you're stuck with them for warranty compliance. 3 year warranty on the battery, my replacement died itself about 18 months later so that one was free at least! If you've got Porsche Assist along with the warranty then they'll be able to do battery diagnostics if it happens again.

Soldato

Ive got one of these Ctek chargers keeping my Cayman charged over winter. If you get the comfort attachment, you can connect it to the cigarette lighter. Quicker than connecting it under the frunk. Nice, simple piece of kit

Associate
Yup, apparently all the 12v sockets will work like this, on the Cayman anyway.

Weird that. On my 2015 911 the interior socket gets turned off by the computer after 15 or so minutes so that doesnt work. Ive got it wired directly to the battery with an extension socket from CTEK which pokes inside the frunk.

Associate
OP
I’m really surprised such an expensive modern car needs its battery charged whilst parked for 2-3 weeks! That’s just crazy.

My 10-15 year old Mercades have never given me any problems. In fact my 57 plate CLK still has its original battery and has never failed to start even after 2-3 weeks.

Porsche has booked me in overnight and said they will likely give the battery a 8-9 hour charge.

Can’t I just do this myself at home via the cigarette lighter port as above? Save me two trips to Porsche...?

Back
Top Bottom