Car for a learner driver

Soldato
So my son turns 17 next month and we plan on getting a car for him to learn in, and then of course once he passes, to then drive. Looking around the £3000 mark.

I've run quotes through for driving with a provisional and then full (with no NCD) licence, and the following seem to be sensible options:-
Vauxhall Corsa (upto 1.4ltr)
Suzuki Swift
Ford Fiesta (1.25ltr)

Any other suggestions? Any other advice from folks who have been through this?

Soldato
OP
Any other suggestions? Aye - get a qualified driving instructor with their own car.
That's a given :rolleyes:

But my son will benefit from extra driving practice in their own car with us, and then he will need his own car as I suspect the instructor won't be keen on giving my son theirs...

Soldato
Definitely look at insurance costs first. The little hatchbacks can end up being very expensive due to the statistics. I worked with a guy ~5 years ago whos first car was a 1.8tdi Mondeo estate as it was significantly cheaper to insure despite being bigger and faster than a 1.25 Fiesta.

Soldato
I'd probably go for a Corsa or Fiesta as you've mentioned. And for me it was only when my dad took me out that I learnt properly, driving lessons were good but we had a Fiat Punto (used to be my mum's until she died) that he took me out in and things like proper clutch control were much easier to learn when you can stall yourself! Personally I recommend this, and my dad isn't even that good a driver but coupled with lessons me and one of my bros passed first time, the other was second.

Man of Honour
I learnt on a Renault Clio but things have changed a lot since then as above you'll want to look at a range of vehicles insurance wise as for a new driver especially the cost can vary hugely and not in a way you might expect. Might be worth looking at the Honda Civic as well.

Caporegime
That's a given :rolleyes:

But my son will benefit from extra driving practice in their own car with us, and then he will need his own car as I suspect the instructor won't be keen on giving my son theirs...

Honestly you may roll your eyes but I'd allow him to pass his test with a qualified instructor first. He may pass his test driving with you but will pick up bad habits. They may not fail him his test but won't serve him well on the roads.

Soldato
I had a car bought for me along with lessons in an instructors car. For me personally it made things worse because the clutch was a lot lighter so I never really drove it until I passed.

Soldato
Back in the day the advice was the biggest, heaviest, and strongest one you can afford.

Unfortunately the Inscos have put the kybosh on that idea!

:/

Soldato
Honestly you may roll your eyes but I'd allow him to pass his test with a qualified instructor first. He may pass his test driving with you but will pick up bad habits. They may not fail him his test but won't serve him well on the roads.

I agree, driving is something best learned proper to start with.

Soldato
OP
He will have an instructor etc. We're also looking to get a car to do extra driving in, and then for when he passes.

Soldato
OP
Definitely look at insurance costs first. The little hatchbacks can end up being very expensive due to the statistics. I worked with a guy ~5 years ago whos first car was a 1.8tdi Mondeo estate as it was significantly cheaper to insure despite being bigger and faster than a 1.25 Fiesta.
Funny you say that. Someone mentioned Vauxhall Vectras were cheap for new drivers.

Obviously it's just the size of the car that's the downside.

Soldato
I would get him up and running with lessons first. Driving with parents is very helpful for some and not a big benefit for others. The key thing is you shouldn't really be teaching him to drive but instead letting him practice what he's learnt in his lessons and build his confidence.

Back
Top Bottom