Doctor Who

Soldato
Climate change agenda?

It was a classic Sci-Fi trope a la Planet of the Apes

Why is it 'preachy crap'? It's using current events (an entire continent is on fire, for example) as a driving force behind a potential future catastrophic event.

Decent episode, the monsters were a bit crap but it is a kids' show. It's not like the Daleks are physically imposing :p
That's what I don't get about some folk. Obsessed with SJW and preachy. It's just using real life events and scenarios in a sci-fi show. Hell classic who and Trek have always done stuff like this.

Associate
I thought it was great, right before the last few minutes when, as others have pointed out, unnecessary preaching was added. The big issue was, it was claimed to be "One possible future", but then The Doctor goes on how about how Humanity needs to face facts and change (but doesn't say what, because it doesn't really know itself, so its just leaving it vague), putting the blame squarely on what people know when they watch the series, and that for us would be Global Warming stuff and what not now (as its current affairs). Much like how Princess Diana means squat to most people now. It's just a different thing.

It would have been so much better if The Doctor actually acknowledged HOW and WHAT happened to that timelines Earth. And then solemnly and sadly lament at how silly and stupid Humanity can be sometimes at not changing to stop it. And if need be, she's seen other Earths where similar things happened. This makes it clear that Humanity is flawed, and that it has a tendency to screw things over for itself, without making the audience fill in the blanks themselves. This gives the same message that people need to take more heed of the world around them, without needing to fill in the blanks themselves.

This is also why certain films and shows don't age well. Because instead of relying on the story itself, it's relying on actual current affairs to make it work. Would Schindlers List really be that meaningful and powerful if there was no World War II and the attrocities that occured?

A shame, the majority of the episode was decent in my opinion, wasn't like last Season at all. Then the last part happened and it all went to last Season again.

Still needs work Season 12 I say. But again, not impressed enough to give Doctor Who the all clear, and if this continues, I doubt I will. But for now, will watch next episode to see how it goes, it's earned that so far from me.

Soldato
This series has been awful so far, the last series was bad but I've actually felt like turning it off for every episode so far.

Think part of the issue is that we have a doctor that cant stop talking and loads of supporting characters to add dialogue for so it's just really long winded. A point they jested about in the last episode when the doc was running out of air.

Need to go back and learn from David Tennant and Matt Smith episodes.

Soldato
So much passion over a kids TV show.

Honestly, take a step back. If you like it, watch it. If you don't, don't.

Personally, I think it's pretty great in the context of it being a family show to watch with my 9-year-old. I wouldn't tune in if I didn't have kids, though.

Soldato

Personally, I think it's pretty great in the context of it being a family show to watch with my 9-year-old. I wouldn't tune in if I didn't have kids, though.

True it’s only a show. I can understand people being annoyed though as some have watched and enjoyed the show for years. Like anything depends what you are passionate about.

For some it could be dr who which they have watched since childhood. For others it could be retro games from the 80’s. Yet I wouldn’t tell people to stop playing them because they were meant for kids.

Soldato

I watch it with a seven year old, and even he is starting to say it's utter tripe.

Soldato
That's what I don't get about some folk. Obsessed with SJW and preachy. It's just using real life events and scenarios in a sci-fi show. Hell classic who and Trek have always done stuff like this.

And Who has done it too. But they made it part of the story and let you come to your own conclusions and you thought "ah, I get it, thats food for thought" but this is just beating you over the head; alien planet, scary monsters, wooo! Cue lots of frantic running about then the reveal and teacher wagging her finger at the class.

Its lazy, painting-by-numbers storytelling. And before anyone says "its a kids show!" well I tell you kids do pick up on messages within programmes I certainly did when i was a kid otherwise you're just insulting their intelligence.

Soldato
The Critical Drinker really smashed the latest episode even by his sarcastic standards. I’ve recorded the series but not watched it yet. Last season wasn’t inspiring but the vibes don’t suggest this is any better.

Soldato
My lad (15) said Ep 3 was the worst episode he's seen (has seen all of NuWho). Not for the climate message, he understands and appreciates that, he thought the "writing was all over the place".

JW almost got her Doctor speech, but EVERY line is delivered as fast as possible, whilst taking as many breaths as possible.

Great actress, but she is utterly ***** as DW.

Back
Top Bottom