Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Are we going to be getting a new Xbox every 3 to 4 years now? It could be that a new model in the Series X will be out in 2023 and then Xbox One is dropped so that next-gen games don't arrive until then.

Soldato
higher power is unlikely to result in many genuinely new ideas that wouldn't have been possible with current hardware

Well, how many games have NPCs in high numbers like AC:U or Hitman, but more developed, each unique, with its own daily schedule? How many games have complex worlds and gameplay, advanced large scale physics? :)

Soldato
Same games different levels of graphic settings. Bit like this is what I’m expecting with settings matched to each consoles capabilities.

Original Xbox One - Low settings
Xbox one S - Medium
Xbox one X - High
Xbox Series X - Ultra

possibly ? Who knows...

Soldato
Well, how many games have NPCs in high numbers like AC:U or Hitman, but more developed, each unique, with its own daily schedule? How many games have complex worlds and gameplay, advanced large scale physics? :)

Yup, that's why I said won't see "many" rather than "any" genuinely new ideas. More powerful hardware will open up new possibilities but I believe most devs will use it almost exclusively to make games that look nicer but they'll play identically to what we've seen this generation just with better frame-rates, resolution, viewing distances. It's just good business sense in the short term to make the same game that plays on multiple platforms, they can use the latest consoles for the trailers but people running PS4/XB1 can still part with their cash.

I'm hopeful that in a couple of years we'll see some games that use all of that grunt to actually move gaming in some new directions but the reality is that development for new ideas is harder than retreading existing ones and that areas like AI are much much harder than having better textures.

After 30 years of gaming I'm holding out for some crazy new ideas to freshen up the endless torrent of sequels and remakes. Lately I tend to prefer indie titles where you still get some unique stuff like Baba is You or Return of the Obra Dinn, I've also played quite a few PSVR titles just because the experience is so different (even though the number of AAA titles is pretty small).

Soldato

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would develop and sell a console (which tend to be sold at cost or a loss) then allow it to utiize third party game platforms like Epic and Steam as it would mean zero revenue from game sales. I think we might see Mouse/Keyboard support and maybe an API to allow developers to more easily port PC titles across to the platform though.

Soldato
I suppose their logic might be that people could buy it primarily for playing PC games but in some/many/most cases they'll buy enough XB games over time to recoup their costs. Ultimately if they sell more consoles then they have a bigger install base which would attract developers/publishers.

My pessimistic side says it's unlikely but MS might see a need for a bold play and they could afford to take a hit in the short term for the long term benefits.

Man of Honour
Not sure about that at all. Wouldn't the ability to run unsigned code potentially expose the system to all kinds of shenanigans?

From the wording it wouldn't be a full version of Windows, just access to curated applications such as those from the MS store and a select few others.

Associate
No way would they allow steam games and epic games(ect). They make their money off game sales, allowing people to buy cheaper pc codes for other launchers wouldn't make sense. But extra pc apps from the MS app store, KB/M support is a great idea. Before they showed info on the console, my idea for the new console was a windows mode - nothing too cpu demanding, just smaller extra apps and dual hdmi ports on the back. Allowing you to play a game while also using another app, streaming music(but actually seeing your playlist) or also have the footy on.

What they could do is bring PC only games to the console(VIA MS store), proper RTS games that need KB/M or even bring warcraft.

Ninja edit.

Soldato
I really hope we see mouse/ keyboard/HOTAS support even if it's only for certain games like xcom/civilization/elite/eurotruck/etc. It would be nice to see some of the game genres you don't normally get on console make the transition to PC.

Soldato
I think the steam argument is an interesting one. My feeling is the only way this will happen is via a deal where MS get a healthy cut on sales or some other concessions.

PC gaming is not as popular as it was. I think Steam would be interested in a wider user base so may wish to cut a deal.

MS, on the other hand, dont seem to have any pressing need to implement Steam other than it may encourage PC player base to buy their X series. Bit of a gamble though.

Soldato
PC compatibility allows people to move up to the ultimate game pass tier, thus locking em in at 10.99pm instead of 7.99pm. Makes the console attractive to those people still hanging on to their pc for gaming as they have a lot of money invested in their games library. Removing that barrier will be the biggest step to swinging people from pc to console. Smart move by MS if true imo.

I got sick of the cost of keeping my pc current and switched to console last year, My library of games was one of the biggest factors for me in staying PC for so long. Had my steam account 14-15 years spent thousands on it. If I can potentially play those on a console alongside the console titles then I'm all for it. Tho I imagine it would just be games available from windows store at first, I'm sure some sort of deal could be struck with steam/epic etc that mutually benefits them all.

Associate
Even though i still dont think it will happen. But do you not think it would be funny if the xbox was able to play pc games? even more so since ps4's exclusives Death Stranding and announced last night Horizon Zero Dawn are both coming to pc this year. Surely more will come over? Is it such an outlandish idea that MS would do this to be able to play these PS exclusives?

Back
Top Bottom