Loop drawing in air

Associate
Hello all,

I have recently built a loop using some of my old and spare parts as part of a new PC for my wife.

The loop is drawing in air from the reservoir, it is a a bitspower 525 bay reservoir.

looking at the instructions it seems like i am missing a BP-CBWP-C67 fitting like below.

Does anyone have one of these in their parts bin or have a suggestion on how i can stop the air being drawn through the loop.
My alternative is to buy an internal tube for an EK reservoir and modify it

2367_20180726_8291-1024x768.jpg

Soldato
Could you post a pic? I can't conceive a setup that would draw in air but not leak. To pull in air you'd need some sort of vacuum, no?

What makes you say it's drawing in air?

Associate
OP
There isn't much in the loop so the flow is quite fast.
this is the reservoir, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitspower-bay-reservoir-5-25-zoll-pom-version-black-wc-308-bp.html
Within the reservoir the outlet is quite close to the surface of the water so (not that I can see it is filling the coolant with micro bubbles) it is creating a vortex up to the surface that it then drawing in air. There seems to be a dynamic element too where the water level drops near the outlet
A bit like this,
water-10-00441-g003.png

Soldato
I see your issue now sorry! You're recirculating air.

Can you not control the pump speed via voltage or PWM? That's part of the unfortunate problem with bay reservoirs, decent volume but no height. I take it you can't get any more fluid in there?

If no to either, I wonder if you could either extend the pipe, or get a piece of open cell foam in there.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could add a fitting to where the fill port plug is, and connect a length of tube to that and close off the end with a bung or to a remote fill port, such that you can get absolutely all air out of the res. The air pocket would be within the fill tube in effect.

Soldato
I have a ddc pump and it doesn't have any control for speed, I am considering making a voltage regulator to drop the speed of the pump.

Up until very recently I ran a DDC , I changed the connector to a fan header and connected it to the motherboard, giving me voltage regulation. They don't draw much current so it should Yoube fine, but of course check the spec of the pump and the max amperage of the header first. You cant stop the voltage too low, but ir really offers a lot more control, and reduces noise.

The other option as I said, is to fix some very open cell foam on the side of the inlet where the vortex is forming. Its what a lot of circular reservoirs do.

Soldato
There isn't much in the loop so the flow is quite fast.
this is the reservoir, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitspower-bay-reservoir-5-25-zoll-pom-version-black-wc-308-bp.html
Within the reservoir the outlet is quite close to the surface of the water so (not that I can see it is filling the coolant with micro bubbles) it is creating a vortex up to the surface that it then drawing in air. There seems to be a dynamic element too where the water level drops near the outlet
A bit like this,
water-10-00441-g003.png
Sorry not related but that is so cool! Quite fascinated with how that does it.

Soldato
Can't you put a pressure release valve on the fill port to get the air out?
Though the more air comes out means topping up coolant to fill the gap the air was in so to speak
Things like that are why I like multi port radiators as a top of case radiator with a spare port on top as ideal for filling up and gravity helps you too
But I also use a pressure release/equaliser valve to let air out

Associate
OP
The reservoir is as full as I can get it because the fill port is recessed into the top making it basically impossible to get rid of all the air.
I am in the process of moving house so i cant access my 3D printer otherwise I would print something alternatively when I get my lathe out of storage I could turn something up.

Associate
Reducing the speed of the pump, just slightly, and if you manage to install one of those foams, like the ones from EK, may help to trap the air and with few shakes get rid of it. Mine was happening the same, recirculating air. The foam sorted.

Soldato
Have you got any spare right angle fittings? Looks like any old right angle job will do the same as the one you post a picture off. Should still screw into the hole assuming there is enough clearance around it, maybe a rotary fitting so you can screw it without the fitting coming up against the res bottom or side. Or maybe even a straight fitting with some tube in it to take the suction point away from where the water dips if that is the problem. In theory doing something like that would change the way the water would dip anyway. Wouldn't need to screw all the way in either, such that the o ring compresses, since a seal is not needed, just needs to offer a preferential route for flow. Most fittings are fully chrome or nickel plated so there shouldn't be an issue with totally immersing a standard fitting.

Associate
OP
I haven't found any foam, I have packed most of my spares. I think it is limited in space around the outlet so I am not sure if I can fit anything in. I did find some of those fittings but they are US stock so long shipping time and costly. When I find the foam I will try it. I am going to look into making a speed regular for the pump too.

Soldato
I haven't found any foam, I have packed most of my spares. I think it is limited in space around the outlet so I am not sure if I can fit anything in. I did find some of those fittings but they are US stock so long shipping time and costly. When I find the foam I will try it. I am going to look into making a speed regular for the pump too.

Even a tiny sliver would probably donut, you're just trying to disrupt the cortex by introducing turbulence.

Hope this gets fixed.

Back
Top Bottom