Unable to activate Windows 10 on new build.

Soldato
I have just assembled my new build with Windows 10. I signed in to my account that is linked to my previous PC/Copy of windows 10 but its throwing up an unable to activate message.

It detects the old system, and I was under the impression I just say theres been a hardware change and it would let me use my old copy.

It was a Windows 7 to 10 free upgrade originally. It was a version I bought at retail and installed to my last build then upgraded to 10 with the program they ran at that time.

Any help greatly appreciated!

(I also originally messed up by installing Home when the version on my Account is Pro. So reinstalled it as Pro this morning and now cant get past this message)

Ta

Man of Honour
The free upgrade is tied to hardware.

Is this true for a previous retail key?

I've upgraded twice on win10 on my old win 7 retail key.

Maybe a daft question.. did you use the key that was assigned to the previous Windows 10 install? Make sure you use the original Windows 7 retail key on the box. My last activation failed because I was using the previous win 10 licence code, not the win 7 retail. My guess is that it allocates a win10 OEM each time.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Hmm maybe I'll have a search for my original windows 7 case and key. Not sure if I still have it! Thanks

should contact microsoft if you cant find it and maybe they will help you out or worst case get a key off the bay for a few quid.

Soldato
I have had this many times, but last week with my new upgrade I just used my original win7 key and it worked.

I believe that a retail 7 to 10 key can be used for one hardware upgrade only then it stops, however I normally just chat to MS and they resolve it for me.

Soldato
OP
Just had a thought. Think I'm misremembering. I had a disc for vista I think.

I was given a key for Windows 7 by a mate who was given official software as part of his Uni course I think.

I wont have that code anywhere now I doubt, this was years ago. Completely forgot about that!

Soldato
Activation is funny thing tried the clean install route using an existing key on my old PC via upgrade tool but it wasn't having any of it. I still had a very old backup lying around basically a clean install of win 7 activated, so tried restoring that and then the upgrade tool. After some shenanigans involving resizing partitions it finally accepted it and the "upgrade" went through except its not a Win 10 key its activated instead via "digital licence" whatever that means.

Associate
I've always had far more luck when stuck trying to activate W10 by calling the telephone activation system and eventually getting through to a human, explain the situation and they have activated it.

Back
Top Bottom