• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Yet another Intel CPU security vulnerability!

Soldato
It was discussed a page or two back. Last I heard was software voltage adjustment will be disabled when SGX is enabled. But voltage will still be adjustable in BIOS. SGX is required for playback of 4K UHD Blu-Ray, but little else on home PCs.

Soldato
It was discussed a page or two back. Last I heard was software voltage adjustment will be disabled when SGX is enabled. But voltage will still be adjustable in BIOS. SGX is required for playback of 4K UHD Blu-Ray, but little else on home PCs.

Yup, but the 'little things' to do to mitigate these security flaws is becoming quite a list, especially in the data centre.

Permabanned
Why would you software overvolt anyways you set it in the bios like my 4770k 1.252v set once and off i go. SGX is crap anyways just another tool of DRM and way to block AMD from playing 4k UHD on pc. Which requires intels IGP on anyways so who would have such a pc?

Also Bluray is never going to die until streaming can match them which for a 4k disc is like 8k streams minimum more like 12k with compression lol. Streaming etc as mentioned is the biggest media scam when all the players like UV and Netflix die you lost your collection bro. Thats why i buy 4k UHD discs from the imdb top 250 list at about £10 a disc and £30 a trilogy. Its mine in true 4k HDR forever no if or but about it that is £10 spent well.

Soldato
Why would you software overvolt anyways you set it in the bios like my 4770k 1.252v set once and off i go. SGX is crap anyways just another tool of DRM and way to block AMD from playing 4k UHD on pc. Which requires intels IGP on anyways so who would have such a pc?

Also Bluray is never going to die until streaming can match them which for a 4k disc is like 8k streams minimum more like 12k with compression lol. Streaming etc as mentioned is the biggest media scam when all the players like UV and Netflix die you lost your collection bro. Thats why i buy 4k UHD discs from the imdb top 250 list at about £10 a disc and £30 a trilogy. Its mine in true 4k HDR forever no if or but about it that is £10 spent well.

It effects undervolting, and a lot of laptop owners use apps like Intel XTU or Throttlestop as this can significantly reduce temps, but with the new update, can't undervolt anymore.

Lukilly I haven't installed the latest firmware update which I'm sure will plunder my attempts to undervolt.

Soldato
Lukilly I haven't installed the latest firmware update which I'm sure will plunder my attempts to undervolt.
I think it will depend on how it is implemented in BIOS by your manufacturer. But in theory if you disable SGX then software undervolting should still be enabled.
SGX is crap anyways just another tool of DRM and way to block AMD from playing 4k UHD on pc. Which requires intels IGP on anyways so who would have such a pc?
Yeah, 4K UHD on playback on PC has been killed by DRM. I did have a fully hardware compliant PC at one point but still couldn't play 4K UHD because my screen was connected to an Nvidia GPU instead of the Intel IGP.

Associate
This seems to apply to Windows rather than Just Intel (Or AMD?) may be worth keeping an eye on?

Sources tell KrebsOnSecurity that Microsoft Corp. is slated to release a software update on Tuesday to fix an extraordinarily serious security vulnerability in a core cryptographic component present in all versions of Windows. Those sources say Microsoft has quietly shipped a patch for the bug to branches of the U.S. military and to other high-value customers/targets that manage key Internet infrastructure, and that those organizations have been asked to sign agreements preventing them from disclosing details of the flaw prior to Jan. 14, the first Patch Tuesday of 2020.

According to sources, the vulnerability in question resides in a Windows component known as crypt32.dll, a Windows module that Microsoft says handles “certificate and cryptographic messaging functions in the CryptoAPI.” The Microsoft CryptoAPI provides services that enable developers to secure Windows-based applications using cryptography, and includes functionality for encrypting and decrypting data using digital certificates.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/01/cryptic-rumblings-ahead-of-first-2020-patch-tuesday/

Soldato
Yeah, 4K UHD on playback on PC has been killed by DRM. I did have a fully hardware compliant PC at one point but still couldn't play 4K UHD because my screen was connected to an Nvidia GPU instead of the Intel IGP.
Unless of course you buy UHD-BDs and rip them yourself at full quality using one of the few drives that will allow this. You might need a media player that doesn't do HDCP etc. checking too.

Soldato
Could someone tell me what realistic performance decrease's I might have on my 5960x. I only game BTW. Also, to be honest, I couldn't care less about security so if I can remove any patches I'll just do that if that's what's slowing things down.

I e not noticed any slow downs if any.

Soldato
Man of Honour
man I'm nostalgic now, that CPU used to be an absolute unit - total beast and it saddens me to think it's now just a punny child of performance

My 4820K still hanging in there - I only have browser and a couple of OS level mitigations (as a gaming system all it needs really) I'm surprised how well it holds up with a good clock on it but I think having some decently tuned memory in quad channel helps a bit there. Sucks in a way as it makes it harder to justify upgrading to anything newer LOL.

Permabanned
I have my 4770k and i will not upgrade until DDR5 and Zen 3. But i wanted to keep the box and igpu as an arcade machine.

It does really suck all the more reason to say bye to Intel i never appreciate stolen peformance.

Back
Top Bottom