Road Cycling

Soldato
I’m after some mudguard advice... I have a Cannondale gravel bike arriving soon and want full guards, I’m reading reviews etc and SKS are either the best ever or rubbish!!!

Any recommendations for full guards that can clear a 37c+ tyres!?

Soldato
Soooo cheap. I don't have any parts lying around though, so a complete bike probably makes more sense, even if I don't like their wheels
Yes, this is the same "So cheap, so I should spend another £500 for a full bike" logical thought process I keep going through.

Soldato
So I will buy a new bike in the next month or two, I'm thinking I might get a power meter too. What are thoughts on them at the moment? Pedals would be easier, I guess?

If the new bike comes with a Shimano chainset, then it's hard to get past Stages now a single sided arm is £299.

If you want to move between bikes then pedals win IMHO - only other choice is rear hub based, so that needs the same cassette & brakes to swap over. Pedalwise, the Assioma Uno (single sided) is £370, double sided £585.

Soldato
Soldato
That was a w'bal app. It's quite a cool concept. Basically works out in theory how much power you have above your threshold power, kind of like power left in a battery, was pretty useful in races (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Sw3vOCq9U). If you use Golden Cheetah its a metric in there and you can see your W'bal line through a ride which is also fairly interested. Surprising its not used more really.

I moved to using wahoo computers a while ago so no longer able to use it now.
That's the one! Really clever metric, still fries my brain on how 'accurate' it realistically could be. On a 'good' day, it would be too conservative, on a 'bad' day it would overestimate! Although a man like you has a large battery and never seems to have bad days... ;)

I'm the same. When on the chain gang I'm only bothered about my 3s power, my TSS and my HR. I also have the current time of day too. Strava will tell me my distance and speed when I get to the pub. I also stopped viewing cadence a while back. On another screen I have a map, elevation profile and a summary screen with a few more metrics on there.
Only having 3s power on chaingang would make me surge! The few I've done average/current speed would be more useful to measure against the gang and keep things as smooth as possible when coming through. I would find 5s/10s more accurate to measure those type of 'controlled' surges?

I’m after some mudguard advice... I have a Cannondale gravel bike arriving soon and want full guards, I’m reading reviews etc and SKS are either the best ever or rubbish!!!

Any recommendations for full guards that can clear a 37c+ tyres!?
No advice or expereince on tyres that wide! Although if you can find something SKS that's the route I'd go...

Have you seen that these frames are down to £300 currently?

Sorely tempted.
Linkylink?

So I will buy a new bike in the next month or two, I'm thinking I might get a power meter too. What are thoughts on them at the moment? Pedals would be easier, I guess?
Pedals are great if you're swapping around, but they do wear a little. Many of the current are plagued with problems/quirks (not even Garmin can get a pedal right...) along with wearing a little or breaking external pods if you go for older... You do pay a bit of a premium for the convenience of pedals too, over something like a crankarm. I went with crankarm (from rings) and was glad I did. Saved some cash and longer term cost. But realise that only suits me so well as I have 1 bike. I could have course easily remove and swap between bikes/take on holiday with me, but am limited to Shimano 105/Ultegra (no bad thing, but it is still a limiting factor).

Power is great, fantastic from a training, pacing and geeky interest perspective. But equally it is quite an investment (not just monetary...) Great if you love the data and use the data frequently when out riding. If you don't then better wheels/saddle/etc would be a better investment.

Last edited:
Associate
Only having 3s power on chaingang would make me surge! The few I've done average/current speed would be more useful to measure against the gang and keep things as smooth as possible when coming through. I would find 5s/10s more accurate to measure those type of 'controlled' surges?
If you surge you get shouted at! Power really is largely irrelevant tbf. Its a useful indicator of how good you're feeling compared to HR.

I went out on the cafe ride yesterday and got over 160TSS - I'm cooked today!

Soldato
If you surge you get shouted at! Power really is largely irrelevant tbf. Its a useful indicator of how good you're feeling compared to HR.

I went out on the cafe ride yesterday and got over 160TSS - I'm cooked today!
Haha that's what I meant - 3s would be too short an interval for me to really judge a turn with, if using power at all I'd have to use 5s. The average speed is probably a better judge - as we all generally know a chaingang tends to aim for overall speed rather than fluxuating speed from efforts/recovery/hill sprints... At least until the ramp-up you get towards the 'finish'! Quite often here there's even a finish sprint! Nutters. I'm usually on my knees before then! ;) :D

Nice TSS for a cafe ride! :o

My social on Saturday came in around 150 TSS in 3 hours, more than I expected. Although I spent much of it towing a slower rider, the second half of the ride into headwinds. Still those where <230W efforts as she would drop off on anything more! Good social kinda averages, but I found it one of those annoying club 'social' rides - 7 riders out, pace is hot, first couple of ramps are 400W with many poker faces. 4 riders dropped (inc me as still warming up) without much let up in pace. Regroup and pace asked to ease, that lasts maybe 2 miles before the run into the first main climb only 4-5 miles after the start. At that point 1 guy (dropped for the 3rd time already) turns for home and another turns back to find him. Climb is a mixtures of efforts as we discuss WTF is going on and I chase down a friend off the front. We sit and wait at the top expecting the second guy to reappear, then someone says he muttered 'so much for an easy ride, I'm going home' before turning back...! Down to 5 riders then, one of which keeps getting dropped. I draw the short straw saying I'll help her and that soon turns into a theme for the rest of the ride... 3 up front having a social ride, 1 chasing the 10s gap while another tries to tow her up and keep losing her... :rolleyes:

Still some standing water around and even some rain on the run back in meant I got a good testing ride done in my Spatz. Calves where quite warm at the start (around town sheltered from most of the winds), but perfect later on. I even hunted down some standing water on multiple occasions (riding through puddles I could've avoided) and my feet remained 100% dry. Perfect! :D

Then 74 TSS yesterday evening as the Tour of Zwift started with a 'Leith Hill Afterparty' route. Brutal.

I've only done over 300 TSS in a week once in the last 6 weeks, most of them being 150 TSS for the whole week (commuting & a zwift ride or two) so to do over 200 TSS in 2 days is quite a shock to the system! :D :o

Soldato
Discovered that Elevate (used to be called Stravistix) for Strava's best splits feature is quite handy. Just above the segments table on any ride you can click Best Splits and enter time periods to get e.g. best 30 second, best 1 minute splits by speed/distance/cadence/power among other metrics.

When you click a split it shows you it on the overview map. It's just a shame that you can't jump to the analysis of that specific split. The project is open source so I might have a little play with the code and see if I can contribute.

Associate
Haha that's what I meant - 3s would be too short an interval for me to really judge a turn with, if using power at all I'd have to use 5s. The average speed is probably a better judge - as we all generally know a chaingang tends to aim for overall speed rather than fluxuating speed from efforts/recovery/hill sprints... At least until the ramp-up you get towards the 'finish'! Quite often here there's even a finish sprint! Nutters. I'm usually on my knees before then! ;) :D

Nice TSS for a cafe ride! :o

My social on Saturday came in around 150 TSS in 3 hours, more than I expected. Although I spent much of it towing a slower rider, the second half of the ride into headwinds. Still those where <230W efforts as she would drop off on anything more! Good social kinda averages, but I found it one of those annoying club 'social' rides - 7 riders out, pace is hot, first couple of ramps are 400W with many poker faces. 4 riders dropped (inc me as still warming up) without much let up in pace. Regroup and pace asked to ease, that lasts maybe 2 miles before the run into the first main climb only 4-5 miles after the start. At that point 1 guy (dropped for the 3rd time already) turns for home and another turns back to find him. Climb is a mixtures of efforts as we discuss WTF is going on and I chase down a friend off the front. We sit and wait at the top expecting the second guy to reappear, then someone says he muttered 'so much for an easy ride, I'm going home' before turning back...! Down to 5 riders then, one of which keeps getting dropped. I draw the short straw saying I'll help her and that soon turns into a theme for the rest of the ride... 3 up front having a social ride, 1 chasing the 10s gap while another tries to tow her up and keep losing her... :rolleyes:

Still some standing water around and even some rain on the run back in meant I got a good testing ride done in my Spatz. Calves where quite warm at the start (around town sheltered from most of the winds), but perfect later on. I even hunted down some standing water on multiple occasions (riding through puddles I could've avoided) and my feet remained 100% dry. Perfect! :D

Then 74 TSS yesterday evening as the Tour of Zwift started with a 'Leith Hill Afterparty' route. Brutal.

I've only done over 300 TSS in a week once in the last 6 weeks, most of them being 150 TSS for the whole week (commuting & a zwift ride or two) so to do over 200 TSS in 2 days is quite a shock to the system! :D :o

sounds a lot like ours. we have a hill climb around 25 mins in. Then a number of sprints to various road signs. People laugh when they hear that our average speed is only 20mph but soon stop when they learn that there’s about 3000ft of climbing in that :D

I got absolutely drenched yesterday. Was squeezing my gloves every 10 mins to try and get rid of the water. Don’t ask me about my boots! They were full. And I was freezing!

Soldato
Glad to hear nothing really changes based on location :D

'It was only 20mph average really translates into it was 17-18mph for windy bits and 26mph for the other half of the ride.

Loads of people can do steady state hard for a ages but struggle with going between flat out and tempo. I tend to do well in those scenarios.

Soldato
That's the one! Really clever metric, still fries my brain on how 'accurate' it realistically could be. On a 'good' day, it would be too conservative, on a 'bad' day it would overestimate! Although a man like you has a large battery and never seems to have bad days... ;)

Ha I wish. Massively unfit at the moment. Had two months off September and October, then full on flu over the new year. 200w is actually hard work at the moment!

Soldato
Discovered that Elevate (used to be called Stravistix) for Strava's best splits feature is quite handy. Just above the segments table on any ride you can click Best Splits and enter time periods to get e.g. best 30 second, best 1 minute splits by speed/distance/cadence/power among other metrics.

When you click a split it shows you it on the overview map. It's just a shame that you can't jump to the analysis of that specific split. The project is open source so I might have a little play with the code and see if I can contribute.
Interesting... May have to revisit. Although last time I used it, it utterly killed Chrome performance on my home laptop and then bugged several things on my work PC (same profile/many open tabs) so I had to disable it. Have they tweaked/fixed the performance? I do also run several other extensions so it could have been that.

Your comment did prompt me to open Wattsboard and have a dig around. It's still simple enough for me to understand it, but equally a step up from Strava's Fitness & Freshness matrics. Can't see something similar to splits you can determine and see the data for, but it does have pre-determined splits. On some of the metrics you can add a custom date filter to compare against current year & all time. I've found a few things I hadn't before, especially now I have various FTP test results at different dates. Now I've got a bunch of data in there it's got a lot more to it - well worth a look for free (if you have the time for it to import all your rides, mine took weeks to synchronise all it could back to July 2019!).

Couple of examples (if you're lazy and want to see what its like with data populated):
pHiIQPK.jpg
8rOXtoE.jpg
AHqcnzs.jpg

Not bad for free, you get more than you do with TrainingPeaks free that's for sure! ;)

Thanks. OK looking frame, although colours/designs are pretty bland. I'd end up going the Stealth Matt Black and that's really unlike me. A flat mount disc frame for that money is insanely good although those pictures are not of the frame (lol) as they're QR and it's listed as TA and pictures have no disc mounts. So who knows for sure what the actual design is or what colours you'll end up getting...! :o

sounds a lot like ours. we have a hill climb around 25 mins in. Then a number of sprints to various road signs. People laugh when they hear that our average speed is only 20mph but soon stop when they learn that there’s about 3000ft of climbing in that :D

I got absolutely drenched yesterday. Was squeezing my gloves every 10 mins to try and get rid of the water. Don’t ask me about my boots! They were full. And I was freezing!
Haha yeah where you are you really can't avoid doing much climbing... Not really any sprints on our social rides, the only non social bits will be pre-arranged by the leader in advance like 'efforts up this climb for those who want to, regroup at top' or an occasional through-and-off on certain bits of road which are good for it. Although the Race clubs social rides tend to do more of that.

Rubbish, it wasn't that bad with us on the weekend. Pretty horrific last night - bad enough the other half felt sorry and came to fetch me in the car from work! Today looks even worse...

How where your feet when that wet? Wearing merino socks? I usually find if I get that wet with merino socks and overshoes to keep the wind out, my feet are mostly warm. Just sodden and warm.

Loads of people can do steady state hard for a ages but struggle with going between flat out and tempo. I tend to do well in those scenarios.
Me too, efforts & recovery then going again seems to suit me. Great for things like Zwift racing and short commuting like I do. Less so for things like TT/fast group rides.

Ha I wish. Massively unfit at the moment. Had two months off September and October, then full on flu over the new year. 200w is actually hard work at the moment!
Ooosh, how the mighty have fallen! Although that's only really a short gap, you'll not have lost too much so can gain it back.

Guessing the other half and work have taken priority? That's no bad thing, we all need to find balance! :)

Soldato
i've had it too, it just doesnt quit does it? day 14 since it started and i have some tail end symptoms still

It's horrible! Still suffering with the chesty cough two weeks on. Praying my legs do actually have more fitness than they're showing now as a result!

Ooosh, how the mighty have fallen! Although that's only really a short gap, you'll not have lost too much so can gain it back.

Guessing the other half and work have taken priority? That's no bad thing, we all need to find balance! :)

Haha I'll be back hopefully. I'm getting married later this year so that has taken a bit of organising, but more just got a bit fed up and bored of it all. Funny how much we rely on cycling though as in that two month break I started to really struggle with stress/anxiety and sleeping. Really didn't realise how much I needed cycling/exercise as a release! Obviously now the new year has rolled around it's a bit easier motivation wise. Off to Gran canaria at the end of the month too for a few days which should be nice!

Soldato
Haha I'll be back hopefully. I'm getting married later this year so that has taken a bit of organising, but more just got a bit fed up and bored of it all. Funny how much we rely on cycling though as in that two month break I started to really struggle with stress/anxiety and sleeping. Really didn't realise how much I needed cycling/exercise as a release! Obviously now the new year has rolled around it's a bit easier motivation wise. Off to Gran canaria at the end of the month too for a few days which should be nice!

That flu thing is horrible, my father has it and just can't shake it off! Hear of several others who had it over xmas/new year too.

Congrats on the marriage plans! Great news & exciting times, a big year for you! :D

I can understand how 'sick' some get from training that hard as it's such a commitment, your whole life revolves around it and soon the only 'friends' you generally have are clubmates as you have so little time for anything else. Enjoyment, family and friends should come first. Unfortunately 'detraining' does take quite a bit of the enjoyment out of it when you're used to riding so strongly before, but that does fade a little don't worry! Hate to give advice you probably don't need - just ride for the right reasons & enjoy the ride for what it is - rather than the numbers it produces! It's too easy to 'chase' former fitness and struggle (I know this and complain about it far more here than I should!) ;)

Good point about the stress/anxiety/sleep/release side of things and a great example of some of the additional 'benefits' we get from regular riding & exercise! Enjoy G.Canaria, taking the bike?

EDIT: Bernie Eisel retiring from racing: https://twitter.com/EiselBernhard/status/1217046015351672832

Shame, such a great rider and fantastic example of a Pro rider! One of my favourites in the peloton from his HTC/Cavendish days with Renshaw. Sure hope we still see him in commentary and stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom