• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900K/s / Upgrade question

Associate
Just a really quick question as I have to rush out.

Looking around at possibly upgrading mine and a friends PC's.
His will be a complete do over, whereas mine is just bits and bobs.
I currently have a 5960X CPU However, the motherboard I think has started to go and I cannot find another of the same motherboard *new* to just replace that and be fine again (although the chip is fricking godly even if it was from 2014).

Regarding the newer 9900 lines. Is there much point buying one of these, if I'd be looking to make a good few years of future proofing for the PCs when there won't be motherboards that support the chipslot in the future? (aka dead platform) (kinda know the answer but though I'd still ask.

Should I just wait for the newer 10xxx chips or ?

(Just to add, not arguing between Intel or AMD, just personal experience over years so Intel would be the only choice for me personally between those two)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a really quick question as I have to rush out.

Looking around at possibly upgrading mine and a friends PC's.
His will be a complete do over, whereas mine is just bits and bobs.
I currently have a 5960X CPU However, the motherboard I think has started to go and I cannot find another of the same motherboard *new* to just replace that and be fine again (although the chip is fricking godly even if it was from 2014).

Regarding the newer 9900 lines. Is there much point buying one of these, if I'd be looking to make a good few years of future proofing for the PCs when there won't be motherboards that support the chipslot in the future?

Should I just wait for the newer 10xxx chips or ?

(Just to add, not arguing between Intel or AMD, just personal experience over years so Intel would be the only choice for me personally between those two)

Assuming you want a 8 core CPU only, with option to upgrade to higher core count and at least one more generation?
If so, get a 3700X/3800X with a X570 board. You can upgrade all way to 16 core CPUs and Ryzen 4000 series (Zen 3) later this year.

9900K/KS are on dead platform atm and given their price £500-£650, you can buy motherboard & CPU from the AMD. While more likely the current cooler you have would work great with it.

Regarding the 10000 series, and the upcoming socket 1200 (Z490) motherboards, have maximum 10 core CPU which is allegently delayed because it consumes a lot of electricity. Again don't expect much change over the 9900K/KS in relation to the 8 core part, and it would be as expensive.

Also this platform is "dead end", given that the 10nm Intel CPUs use different motherboard and socket, assuming they come at the end of the year.
(which again going to be dead by late 2021 due to DDR5 ram).

So the whole thing what you actually want. Performance whice AMD cpus are better, except if you have GTX2080Ti and gaming at 1080p.
Otherwise no difference and are all much better in productivity workloads.

Associate
OP
Quotes1234

I thought as much this.
Both of us do heavy gaming, along with 4K video editing, rendering, Aftereffects, Photoshop, 3/4D renders for our jobs.

I've built PC's for about 12 years but 100% of the time I've gone with AMD, they've literally broken or had a problem, even after RMA'ing, both their GPU's and especially their CPU's hence why I've stuck with Intel as I've barely had any problems, or at least no where near the same ratio as AMD. Guess I've just been beyond super unlucky. I also find Intel to be extremely laid out better wise in the BIOS to navigate and change settings.

If it helps, both of us use multiple 2080TIs.

Soldato
I thought as much this.
Both of us do heavy gaming, along with 4K video editing, rendering, Aftereffects, Photoshop, 3/4D renders for our jobs.

I've built PC's for about 12 years but 100% of the time I've gone with AMD, they've literally broken or had a problem, even after RMA'ing, both their GPU's and especially their CPU's hence why I've stuck with Intel as I've barely had any problems, or at least no where near the same ratio as AMD. Guess I've just been beyond super unlucky. I also find Intel to be extremely laid out better wise in the BIOS to navigate and change settings.

If it helps, both of us use multiple 2080TIs.

For which year we talking about? Last time checked the Z370I Strix had the same bios with the X370 CH6...... From own experience.

If you do 4K video editing etc, AMD is no brainer and look for 3900X if you do not want to wait until the end of the year with an 8 core 3700X/3800X
Has no competitor there at that budget for budget 4K video editing, assuming 3950X isn't your cup of tea.

Associate
Z490 and won’t be out until April+

If you need something now, get a 9900ks. If you are doing a lot of video, you probably want 32gb ram so Aorus master is a good all around board.

For higher end ASUS Extreme.

Soldato
Think about threadripper, TR4, if you have multiple 2080's to keep fed - Your workflow looks like you could use it! These are the AMD HEDT motherboards/CPU's that are in the same class of hardware that you have now.

If not get a 3950 and x570 motherboard and 64GB of RAM, swap everything else over and job done. The 2080's should still be well used, better than on the old machine that's for sure, and it'll be less than half the price of Intel and the TR4 systems.

I get that you like what you know, but the AMD bios is not much different to the Intel one, especially on the desktop AM4 platform. Intel are nowhere at the moment, they slower hotter and still more expensive despitea 50% price cut this year, AMD are spanking them for next year or so at least.

Associate
OP
Think about threadripper, TR4, if you have multiple 2080's to keep fed - Your workflow looks like you could use it! These are the AMD HEDT motherboards/CPU's that are in the same class of hardware that you have now.

If not get a 3950 and x570 motherboard and 64GB of RAM, swap everything else over and job done. The 2080's should still be well used, better than on the old machine that's for sure, and it'll be less than half the price of Intel and the TR4 systems.

I get that you like what you know, but the AMD bios is not much different to the Intel one, especially on the desktop AM4 platform. Intel are nowhere at the moment, they slower hotter and still more expensive despitea 50% price cut this year, AMD are spanking them for next year or so at least.

I'll definitely take this into consideration. Thank you! :) (+ everyone else that's commented so far)

Soldato
It’s impossible to ignore AMD as they have beat Intel to a point they aren’t worth considering.
For your use I’d look at a 12-16 core AM4 or a thread ripper and sell the 5960X while it still holds some value.

Soldato
It’s impossible to ignore AMD as they have beat Intel to a point they aren’t worth considering.
For your use I’d look at a 12-16 core AM4 or a thread ripper and sell the 5960X while it still holds some value.

Got to lol at some me of your posts.

You could also buy a used x99 Mobo. Almost any will do the job.

Soldato
AM4 platform for sure with all that editing and rendering. 3700X now and pick up cheaper upgrades for years to come especially if MOB on way out. What makes you think that it is? Could be PSU related.

Intel only for gaming at 1080p @ 165hz+, or less - AND you have a 2080ti.

Associate
OP
What makes you think that it is? Could be PSU related.

I think it's just my motherboard but it's been massively playing up for the past 6-12 months. Random blue screens (without codes to trace), random other MB error codes, which don't fix themselves or when I do fix whatever it says is the problem, continues to say it's not fixed, and the biggest issue is RAM slot D4 doesn't recognise any ram in it at all unless it's running at like 400 speed lol. I've had it looked at but when they inspect it, nothing comes up.
Before you ask, I've tried swapping literally everything in the PC 2/3 times with other parts and the same thing happens. I'd rather not buy a second hand 99X pro board and there's barely any new 99x or 2011V3 CPU slot boards around so yeah that's the problem for me wanting to upgrade. It's pretty much just a new MB and CPU I need. Friends is a complete do over.

Intel only for gaming at 1080p @ 165hz+, or less - AND you have a 2080ti.

I'm a bit confused on this ... Any particular reason you'd say intel for only 1080p? considering (depending on the game and when I stream) I'll play at minimum 1440p and max 4K? :)

Soldato
I'm a bit confused on this ... Any particular reason you'd say intel for only 1080p? considering (depending on the game and when I stream) I'll play at minimum 1440p and max 4K? :)

I'm a professional at confusing people.

Intel is faster than AMD when it comes to gaming at 1080p. So if you were a twitch fps gamer and you had a 1080p 240hz monitor then an intel CPU that will reach 5ghz does make a better choice at that resolution.

You could put in 6 core 3600X now and upgrade to 8,12 or 16 core CPU's later, see what the prices do for 3000 series when the 4000 series comes out and they'll drop straight in to an AM4 socket too. Some 3600Mhz CL16 RAM and a half decent X570 MOBO.

RE: those mobo issues - I can see why you just want to change.

Associate
I have an i9900KS direct die mounted with liquid metal in a custom water loop, in conjunction with an Nvidia Founders Edition 2070 Super. The gpu isn't yet water cooled, but will be in the future. I use my machine for gaming and 3d modelling and couldn't be happier. I can overclock the GPU to achieve scores in Timespy that beat Titan cards. I got 1 great score in Cinebench R20 of 6329, but my usual scores are 1,000 below this (not quite sure what is going on there).
yw32BvC.jpg
NOkNXzY.jpg

Back
Top Bottom