Holidays 2020

Soldato
About to pack in work for a bit and go travelling again (took a year out in 2013). This time around i'm going to do lots of 'short' trips rather than be away for a year.

Following the sun

Asia March - July. Been to most of Asia before but going again

Starting off in Bali (Canggu). Maybe a month there.
Hitting Japan in May with Friends.
After that who knows

Europe July - October

Interrail pass and general travel all over.
No solid plans yet but thinking of zig zagging from Greece all the way up to Slovenia. Then across into Romania, Ukraine, Belarus up to Helsinki. Been to many of the countries on that route but many new ones to visit too.

South America October > March 2021

Spent a year here already
Wedding in Rio in October - may spend a month here in an airbnb.
Have to pop over to South Africa for another lads trip.
Back to South America....and i've yet to decide what to do.

Soldato
I'd love to go to Bali but at the rate I see pics etc. appearing online it seems every Instagrammer and travel blogger is there! How are you guys flying there, isn't it a bit complicated?

I've been three times - the last time this september just gone. It's a lovely place with lots to see and do (Gili islands, Nusa Lembongan). Certainly is very 'instagrammable' but don't let that put you off - it's a positive.

This time around i'll probably spend a month there, maybe more. When staying on the main island there's a wide variety of choice all over the island but in short:

Kuta - Full of young aussies getting drunk
Seminyak - One step up, older crowd, more resorts.
Canggu - My fav, wish i'd found it earlier. More chilled, great crowd.

Getting there i've either gone via Doha with Qatar or to Kuala Lumpur / Singapore / Bangkok and then jumped onwards. This time around in March i'm doing the Qatar route but used BA miles to upgrade.

Soldato
@Vanilla wins the thread!

What sort of budget are you planning for this year of fun?

No budget. Not saying I have unlimited money but after working in IT for many years i'm not backpacking and watching every pound! Also this is likely to be a two year trip in my mind, I just shared year 1. For all I know I may end up spending all the time in Asia - never get locked down to a metal route unless you have one of those around the world tickets where you must move on.

Been to quite a few places so always happy to give advice - i'm just poor at scanning the forms. I only see the off thread like this one.

iM2k11v.png

Soldato
Will be going on the P&O Iona for her Maiden voyage around the Fjords in Norway :) Sails in May
Quite excited will be an interesting experience for sure

Soldato
Havnt booked yet but looking at

Seville - June
Nashville - June will be my first time in the USA Im hearing great things on Nashville it always appealed to me

That will be 24 countries visited for me now also looking to fit in Helsinki and Tallin at some point aswell as Porto this year.

Regarding Bali which has been mentioned my favourite places were Munduk (stayed at the beautiful Munduk moding plantation) and Ubud I didnt really rate Canggu horrible black sand and a boring place just with cafe nothing much to do.

Recommend going to the famous rice terrace in Ubud at sunrise you will see the fascinating light rays (make sure you go around the back) here my Instagram photo

H4MjjKzyBG8I9MiWRYWp7aeOpx1q347d3TtlKj5S19XK7qo3bZOswEIJ4xcJckJ279PmxiODjEMSUOCJy3jaYVGtVWc6gdsfkhz4o_LQ_vUMSF7VaQrqju20TnIuQ0h6nLpDtp7kbQxC98h7JtUzLjyrxL3k64TLLNQK_ysbjpfZOPTioCSu-8dEQ-nKZoISREsckFBGfyh2zGdKm8yX7NsDdNeBb6D425nK05D0x7WJ8NKYVoKqR6MEpgpS0TzngIHykAdhr5P2-utg-jG62sVPwDAmRhrZDrF7_kAEzyVjZ-Z9Ww3c1PCM1Fd-fYbLv5M1InxnbgRKYLBiDzVFRpuft80Q2vvWy9kg1j_hf9O4gvZkZXcE16-8hlOYAmR5t8co8tnDVQwJY-ddUsZ3VH5c4FSu2gAFMgehGp6-aIeq6HsNnw1GSVuYWadsZAspSI8iQzQo-O5DN7qt1EuqGDGW15z1bwz6riFjE542jIbx4hVixRTjq0t-bLtOR4EIykpIieKSmKybMYpboDwaXVZ6iYmmkY9UfQMlZ4NUK4dthvUp2ydqUF6d57AtdrxAuX7-Oj2l9xLw3UOPqjxaDLNzf1VCqAzSEdiVzU6wkLwEAK6kh0HDhz4_-YYR8WLZYRxcFFii3pViD7rZV4ajrKctKL6EANeggGfr4oDly9H2-zrh0lSqLOuhHsNY_QCinC48lNcLdR6ojBbZYERBzMdhwF6GjhvLdjlnDLHbj2VbAx_S=w634-h950-no

Associate
I probably won't be going on holiday again this year, I'm quite poor at the moment, what with paying for my college course.

Am I missing something with the moderator comment about Rhyl? The town in Wales? Excuse my ignorance.

Soldato
Recommend going to the famous rice terrace in Ubud at sunrise you will see the fascinating light rays (make sure you go around the back) here my Instagram photo

Definitely this. Escape all the people who are just going to pose on the swings and venture to the back end. I ended up chatting to a few people there in broken English. Bought some rice off one guy who said I was the first person he'd seen all day and whilst it may or may not be true I could believe it as I was miles away from anyone despite there being thousands of people milling around the lower levels.

Bonus points if you find the Rice Titanic.

My driver thought I'd got lost as I was gone for a couple of hours whereas he said most people are there for like 20 mins queuing for a swing and then they go. Shameful really.

I would also recommend the sunrise volcano trek. Well worth the 3am rise. Take a jumper though its damn chilly at the top

Soldato
Cape Town in Summer (their Winter) and Oktoberfest in Munich later on.

A bit of a fussy bugger, don't like humidity at all, don't like beach holidays and don't like really "touristy" stuff unless it's life alteringly good :D

Soldato
Currently in the planning stages, but in October, we're planning a week in Brisbane / Gold coast again, then flying to Hanoi, then making our way on land by car / train etc down through Vietnam, across to Cambodia, into Thailand, then down through Phuket into Malaysia and Penang and then into Singapore, spend a couple of days in Singapore and then fly over to Bali for about 2 weeks then finally home. We're allowing up to 3 months for the trip, leaving hopefully on 1st October and getting home for xmas maybe. Should be fun if it happens :)

Soldato
Well, before we found out my girlfriend was pregnant back in March last year it was three weeks in Orlando for Sept/Oct this year. Now it's either a 7/10 night holiday in Greece or similar and if no luck due to stupid prices then day trips with the odd overnight stay. Woohoo.

Soldato
Tried Airbnb? Lots of good looking options on there for around £70 a night. You're right though, hotels look very expensive!

Airbnb are banned / controlled for the most part or the resident has to be out of the country from what I read. Also they are only allowed to be rented if the resident lives in them as part of a suite type.

And the ones that are up are potentially sketchy so need to be checked

Back
Top Bottom