27" 144hz/1440p suggestions

Associate
What are the genuine alternatives to these LG monitors then?

I'm likely to play a few games, and on PS4/5 As well.

I do Photoshop and Vegas editing although it's very basic stuff.

I know IPS seems to be king but wondering if a relative novice like myself would massively notice a difference.

Given my new build is arriving this week and I'm stuck with a 8 year old 27" as my main screen I'm keen to buy something to test it out and these LGs seem non-existent

Soldato
The only one that seems to have got solid reviews across the board is the Asus Tuf VG27AQ:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...sync-compatible-gaming-monitor-mo-0a9-as.html

It's out of stock on OCUK but a quick Google search should help you find it elsewhere. The other option is the Gigabyte FI27Q:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ync-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-004-gi.html

However, I read that the panel Gigabyte use struggles with the 165Hz refresh rate, so you might need to do a bit of research into that. Personally I'd advise you go IPS. You could get a TN or VA equivalent for about £350-400 and if you were purely gaming I would suggest that those two options would probably be fine. However, for colour accuracy IPS will be the better option. I owned a TN 165Hz monitor from Acer and while it was fantastic in gaming, the image wasn't as sharp as my IPS in day-to-day use, text didn't look as crisp, photos weren't as sharp, etc. For even light Photoshop and Vegas editing you'll be better off paying the slight premium for IPS.

Associate
The only one that seems to have got solid reviews across the board is the Asus Tuf VG27AQ:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...sync-compatible-gaming-monitor-mo-0a9-as.html

It's out of stock on OCUK but a quick Google search should help you find it elsewhere. The other option is the Gigabyte FI27Q:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ync-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-004-gi.html

However, I read that the panel Gigabyte use struggles with the 165Hz refresh rate, so you might need to do a bit of research into that. Personally I'd advise you go IPS. You could get a TN or VA equivalent for about £350-400 and if you were purely gaming I would suggest that those two options would probably be fine. However, for colour accuracy IPS will be the better option. I owned a TN 165Hz monitor from Acer and while it was fantastic in gaming, the image wasn't as sharp as my IPS in day-to-day use, text didn't look as crisp, photos weren't as sharp, etc. For even light Photoshop and Vegas editing you'll be better off paying the slight premium for IPS.

Fair enough - thanks mate.

I guess given my last one lasted for nearly 8 years I shouldn't skimp.

There is a site that has the LG 83A for 480 euro but that seems to be a lot more than it was previously available elsewhere.

Just can't be sure it will come back into stock at the lower price everyone else got it for. I guess I'm better off paying 480 euro for theLG instead of 485 sterling for the Asus.

*Edit* - There's about a 50 euro difference between the LG (cheaper) and the Asus because I have to get them from different sites and P&P.

Is the Asus worth 50 euro over the LG? I am getting a new build with a 5700XT if that makes any difference, i.e AMD not Nvidia

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough - thanks mate.

I guess given my last one lasted for nearly 8 years I shouldn't skimp.

There is a site that has the LG 83A for 480 euro but that seems to be a lot more than it was previously available elsewhere.

Just can't be sure it will come back into stock at the lower price everyone else got it for. I guess I'm better off paying 480 euro for theLG instead of 485 sterling for the Asus.

Some places are selling the GL850 for 499 euros but I'm unsure how much it would be for shipping on top.

Associate
Some places are selling the GL850 for 499 euros but I'm unsure how much it would be for shipping on top.

You've thrown a spanner in the works here. I've found where you can get it for 499 but it's not in stock currently, apparently they're coming in on 30th January, and shipping would be by 5th Feb.

So here are my options as it stands:

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ - 563 euro

LG 27GL850 - 524 euro (Can't get it until 5th Feb - if the dates are reliable)

LG 27GL83A-B - 514 euro

I'm guessing for the sake of 10 euro I should get the 850, although I'm being impatient and the wait will kill me :)

Is the Asus better than them both and worth the increase in cash?

Last edited:
Soldato
You've thrown a spanner in the works here. I've found where you can get it for 499 but it's not in stock currently, apparently they're coming in on 30th January, and shipping would be by 5th Feb.

So here are my options as it stands:

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ - 563 euro

LG 27GL850 - 524 euro (Can't get it until 5th Feb - if the dates are reliable)

LG 27GL83A-B - 514 euro

I'm guessing for the sake of 10 euro I should get the 850, although I'm being impatient and the wait will kill me :)

Is the Asus better than them both and worth the increase in cash?

I would see if you can compare them on rtings website and see how you feel with the differences. I would absolutely pay £10 more for the GL850. I'll be holding off a bit myself due to work commitments, hopefully this allows more stock to materialise.
off
Just checked, it €499 euros €14 shipping. Due 30th Jan.

Last edited:
Associate
I would see if you can compare them on rtings website and see how you feel with the differences. I would absolutely pay £10 more for the GL850. I'll be holding off a bit myself due to work commitments, hopefully this allows more stock to materialise.
off
Just checked, it €499 euros €14 shipping. Due 30th Jan.

I'm getting it delivered to Ireland so works out a bit more.

Prices above are to Ireland including postage. So yeah 10 Euro difference for 850 vs 83a.

Just worried that it won't actually be 30th Jan.

Will try and do some more research. Considering what I do and what I've been using I'm not confident is even be able to notice the difference between 3 we are talking about anyway! :)

Associate
One thing I didn't consider...PS4.

Doesn't sound like 1440p works well with PS4 and that's where I do a lot of gaming.

Maybe it's just a 144hz 1080p I need to go for. Just an update to what I have...

Back
Top Bottom